Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to properly lower a car

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:49 AM
rocketvox
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to properly lower a car

Ok. I know I'm about to open Pandora's box because suspension is a very complex topic. But I will nonetheless ask. As you can see from the photo, my car is not sitting quite right. Certainly too high in the front. The car is a 1977 with a 1988 3.2 motor. Suspension parts are new'ish but stock replacement. I'd like to get the car lower. I don't intend to track the car and mostly I'm doing this to simply improve it's appearance. I don't mind a firmer ride around town. In fact I prefer that. Otherwise, this particular car is just meant to be a daily driver. What do you folks recommend? What suspension parts? Recommendations?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:00 AM
rocketvox
Advanced

I should add that I'm in the Seattle area. If anyone knows a good contact to do this for me...by all means I'm open to suggestions. I do understand implications associated with bump steer and that I'll need to realign the car as well. I'll probably go ahead and install the turbo-tie rod kit while I'm in there.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:01 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

If you're not going to the track and the parts you have are "newish" I would leave the rear alone and just crank the front adjustment down to get the proper rake of 2 degrees or so then just enjoy the car. It looks like you already have some modern low profile tires on 16's so all I would recommend is a set of turbo tie rods if you don't already have them.

You can go crazy and spend a lot of money on trick suspension parts but you will gain a marginal improvement in sharpness in the handling at the expense of a harsh ride and scraping the bottom of your car on driveways and speed bumps.

Just one man's opinion who has gone the route of stiff torsion bars, monoballs, adjustable swaybars, revalved shocks, poly bronze bushings, etc. Not needed for the street in my opinion.

These older cars need all new rubber parts in the suspension but it sounds like you may already have done that. If so, beyond turbo tie rods and good tires and alignment....just enjoy!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:31 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact Chuck at Elephant, many different options available and Chuck can help you with component selection to get you where you want to be. I did a full track setup with Elephant 4 years ago, still very happy with results. Great looking 911 btw.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:12 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with TTO. Since you don't want to track the car, you would start with the front. Simply back the adjusting bolts out equal amounts. Start with 1 turn counterclockwise, and see how it looks.

If you have a loud squeak at the front, and if the gap around the rear spring plate cover is getting narrow at the top, then you're going to want new rubber bushings.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:30 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Turbo tie-rods will make a huge difference in the feel of the car. After that just follow rusnak's directions on the screws to lower the front.

Your rear doesn't look all that bad.

If you wouldn't mind, can you walk around the car and take wheel arch measurements for us? It may help us better gauge where your ride height is now. You could be at 23" or 27" for all we know.

My car is currently sitting at 27" in the back, it has lost so much weight.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:51 PM
rocketvox
Advanced

Seriously, everyone, thank you SO much. amber lamps I'll def get some measurements before i do anything and will share with you all.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IMHO, the car looks fantastic as it sits. I must say, if that car looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, I wouldn't mess with it too much.

Mostly, just getting these cars back to factory condition is the best for the street.

But, lowering the front a bit is not too hard. Turbo Tie-rod ends are a must... and inexpensive improvement. Also check the bump-steer if you lower it. Most good P-car shops know the setup in their sleep... it's not expensive.

If the shocks are old, look into a rebuild/revalve. This is relatively inexpensive. Also the bushings can deteriorate, so check them... they are often over-looked, but are important.

I've owned a lot of these old cars, and the factory setup is pretty darn good, I wouldn't mess with torsion bars, sways, etc, unless you are building a track car.

If cost is an object, I'd just get all the bits up to spec, and spend my money on a really good street/performance alignment and a good set of tires.

Extra credit.... you'd be amazed how going to a smaller ratio steering wheel, (I like MOMO), can transform the driving experience... sounds, stupid, but I find it makes a huge difference... something to consider.

Have fun.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ise-993-a.html
Old 01-28-2014, 06:50 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

this is what I would do... just because.

Replace all rubber bushings if its original
Replace Shocks if worn
Turbo tire rods
Bump steer kit
Swaybar bushings
Re-index the torsion bars to preferred height
Corner balance and alignment

also: this thread is a must see....
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ht-stance.html
Old 01-28-2014, 07:56 PM
rocketvox
Advanced

amber lamps I see you found a link to my other car
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both cars look great!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketvox
You're hooked up. Stay true to the car and you'll end up with something nice.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JCP makes a really great point about how well stock suspension works with a refresh. Also agree 100% on a good performance alignment and corner balance.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rocketvox
They call me "The Stalker" for a reason.

How would you compare and contrast the two cars?

Quick Reply: How to properly lower a car