Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to properly lower a car

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Tru-Line Seattle are the suspension experts.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 AM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That 993 looks sick. I like how the seats played out. Regarding your question about the height of your 77, looks like to rears are ok as the camera angle was taken from above the lines of the car so it might look high, but the fronts may need a little adjustment. As what they have said, have it measured first and work your way from there. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I agree with TTO. Since you don't want to track the car, you would start with the front. Simply back the adjusting bolts out equal amounts. Start with 1 turn counterclockwise, and see how it looks.

If you have a loud squeak at the front, and if the gap around the rear spring plate cover is getting narrow at the top, then you're going to want new rubber bushings.
Does anyone know if there is a "How to Post" on lowering the front a little? New on here and searched a little but nothing came up. Was going to give it a try this week, while I have some time off work. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Jonathan_btwl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketvox
Ok. I know I'm about to open Pandora's box because suspension is a very complex topic. But I will nonetheless ask. As you can see from the photo, my car is not sitting quite right. Certainly too high in the front. The car is a 1977 with a 1988 3.2 motor. Suspension parts are new'ish but stock replacement. I'd like to get the car lower. I don't intend to track the car and mostly I'm doing this to simply improve it's appearance. I don't mind a firmer ride around town. In fact I prefer that. Otherwise, this particular car is just meant to be a daily driver. What do you folks recommend? What suspension parts? Recommendations?

CAR Is Beautiful! I agree could go a little lower in the front, mine rides like that too. Looks like It has a dead body in the back seat! The 993 is epic too. Great taste you have my friend. Keep it up.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by rocketvox
Ok. I know I'm about to open Pandora's box because suspension is a very complex topic. But I will nonetheless ask. As you can see from the photo, my car is not sitting quite right. Certainly too high in the front. The car is a 1977 with a 1988 3.2 motor. Suspension parts are new'ish but stock replacement. I'd like to get the car lower. I don't intend to track the car and mostly I'm doing this to simply improve it's appearance. I don't mind a firmer ride around town. In fact I prefer that. Otherwise, this particular car is just meant to be a daily driver. What do you folks recommend? What suspension parts? Recommendations?
'TT Oversteer' 's advice is spot on. But, allow me, your car needs a period bumper, and the Fuchs centers need to be anodized black (ideally) or painted satin black.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, that car is beautiful, what is the exact name of that silver? I don't normally like silver cars but that is stunning. One of my all-time other favorite colors are the blues like your 993. Regarding your actual question, lowering the front, as many have said, is really easy. MUCH easier that the rear. I've done both a number of times on my '88. You can do a search here or on Pelican and there are a number of very detailed descriptions on exactly how to do it. The front does look a bit high but sometimes camera angles can be misleading.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:01 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

You have a beautiful car!

If its strictly going to be used on the street, I'm not sure I would modify anything aside from installing new rubber bushings in all the appropriate places to ensure good handling and road manners. Naturally, if you like to drive the corners pretty aggressively, we do make changes to torsion bars and shocks for this express purpose.

Its critically important to have the car corner-weighted after lowering and before alignment so it will handle properly. You would never believe the number of cars I've seen (and fixed) that were lowered "by eye" or just using tape measures, that had poor road manners and sometimes scary handling.

Lastly, don't make the (common) mistake of ruining the suspension travel by lowered too far; there are specialized suspension components made specifically for low cars that should be installed if this is your objective.

Good luck with the new ride!!

Quick Reply: How to properly lower a car