Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Difficult to shift into 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM
Ryan O'Connor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difficult to shift into 2nd

I just got my car back. 30mm torsion bars in the back (I didn't want to screw around with the splines on those!), lowered to Euro height, aligned, corner balanced. Feels great!

Sometimes it is a bit difficult to shift into 2nd. It will go but it can take a bit more pressure than other gears. This adds time to the shift. Does that sound like bushings?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

is the issue new since you had the work done ?

What kind of car is it ? does it have a 915 or a 950 gear box

cant speak for the G50 but the 915 does not like to "speed shift" into second .. you need the ' pregnant pause" in the neutral plane between first and second. then it should go smoothly. if not you may have a second gear synchro issue which is somewhat common.

There are shifter bushings and what not that can be repalced in the shifter up front as well as the coupler out back .. also there are a few adjustments that can be made to the coupler .. but if it is only second gear showing the issue, i am going with technique or synchros

Goos luck ..
Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 PM
reachme
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The 915 needed pause for second started to annoy me a bit watcing the tach drop (yes I know double clutch and blip the gas). I dont know what previous enthusiast owner had in but I put in Swepco and it made it a whole lot better. YMMV.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

i NEVER double clutch , just the small pause between first and second ( im talking not even a half second ) .. I think on a 915 if you try to speed shift from first to second .. it wont last long ..
Old 01-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine is not 'difficult' to shift into second but it does take that pause...out, pause, in motion that Ice is referring too. Normal for a 915.
Try a little throttle blip before the 'in'.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't know how old your bushing are, I'd replace them just to be sure. Far less than dropping the tranny.

Any chance your clutch is out of adjustment though? If you are clear down at the floor, you may not be disengaging the clutch far enough.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:21 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

My tranny is rebuilt.... has that extra effort to put into 2nd. I have synthetic in there now, going with swepco for the spring season and see how it goes. Tried messing with the coupling but it doesn't matter. I did a thread on this same topic on pelican.... you'd be surprise how many people have this "problem". If the oil change doesnt change the shifting effort, Im gonna chalk it up to being "normal". Yes, the tranny was rebuilt by a reputable shop... Protosport.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
AFhokie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have that problem

When my G50 is cold, second gear takes a "one potato, two pot..." before you can actually feel the gear become availible. Third is a little tricky too when cold. Disappears when driven for a few minutes. Always figured it was a just part of the 'character'.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:21 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A slight pause on the 1-2 upshift is normal. It helps the synchro hook up. Porsche never designed drag-racers... 1st gear was to get you in and out of the pits... or parking.

The original 5-speed 901 actually had 1st on the dogleg with reverse... a full drag-start in first could snap the intermediate shaft.

Do not double-clutch... who told you that??

Many older 915s are going to have 2nd gear synchro wear, because of a previous knuclehead owner... if you want to save yourself $3K, you can easily drive the car with a worn 2nd gear synchro.

Just start in first, a slight pause in neutral, and a slow deliberate shift into 2nd at or below about 2,500 RPM, and let the torque work for you.

I can easily drive my 3.2 Carrara without first gear... it's just there for convenience.

Quick Reply: Difficult to shift into 2nd