Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A bit of an update

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
About time! She also looks high enough for Paris-Dakar.....hopefully, she'll settle down. When will she drive again?

(I got mine together this weekend, and have about 20 miles on all the new bits, I'm calling the project a success)
Back end is more than 27" at the fenders.

If it weren't for the massive oil leak from the on-engine oil cooler she'd be done enough to drive. Most likely drop the engine that magical 3" this weekend and patch her back up. Seems I just had the engine down for new motor mounts just a week ago.

I'm obviously in no rush. Think it's time for some Elephant Racing bushings actually.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Just ordered the ride height combo wrench and the seals for the oil cooler.

Did I ever show you any of what is going on up front. TRE junkyard item.
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2014, 02:12 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DB, the thin ride height wrench doesn't replace steel impact sockets. Be sure to loosen the eccentrics with the impact wrench, then "center" them. Mark the lobes location with a steel punch and a paint mark on the dimple. This will greatly help to set ride height, and don't forget to scribe reference marks on the tub from the unsupported spring plates.

And in your travels, let me know if you spot a Ruf sport muffler with a valance for twin exhaust tailpipes.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
DB, the thin ride height wrench doesn't replace steel impact sockets. Be sure to loosen the eccentrics with the impact wrench, then "center" them. Mark the lobes location with a steel punch and a paint mark on the dimple. This will greatly help to set ride height, and don't forget to scribe reference marks on the tub from the unsupported spring plates.
Got it. Also need a stubby little allen wrench for the alignment and camber plate adjustment eccentrics. I used a Torx bit who's points just happen to be the same size.

And ya, I've got an impact wrench that could bust your pumpkin's nuts off from here. That's how I know I need the skinny wrench.

First step will be to figure out where the eccentrics are currently at BEFORE I start taking everything apart. Once found, it gonna get slammed to the bottom and see if that is good enough. If not, it's time to take it all apart and go for a drive out to Huntington Beach. That, and some new Tbars.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont think Ive ever seen a duck on a vert before... lets see some more pics of her. Glad you are enjoying the project. Im just about done with mine, but I didnt time it properly.... winter really suck!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by redridge

I dont think Ive ever seen a duck on a vert before... lets see some more pics of her. Glad you are enjoying the project. Im just about done with mine, but I didnt time it properly.... winter really suck!
Look through the gallery at No Bad Days Graphics. Backdated Cab with a duck. FREAKY

http://www.nbdgraphics.com/
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What a way to start the year by getting some goodies for your baby. Subscribed.

OT - I had a pleasant experience with Einmalig during my LA visit. I chanced upon this place after attending Cars and Coffee in Irvine. Luckily, they had a mint dashboard and got it at a reasonable price.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:43 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Man that lower gap is hideous without the latch. I've got the rubber feet on it, but not the latch. It does sit down nicely and follows the contour nicely.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM
JQ911
Racer

When the duck was installed on mine, I forgot to remove one engine lid shock strut. Using both shock struts made the gaps worst on all sides and even looked twisted, lol. Funny thing was I almost got an uppercut when the lid opened as it literally popped.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by JQ911
When the duck was installed on mine, I forgot to remove one engine lid shock strut. Using both shock struts made the gaps worst on all sides and even looked twisted, lol. Funny thing was I almost got an uppercut when the lid opened as it literally popped.
Ya, do not want. I will most likely go with no attatched shocks. Currently have one on the left. I would rather just have a pin on the hinge and use the shock as a prop rod that stays extended and gets placed on the pin when opened. oh the horror.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:58 AM
JQ911
Racer

I liked how the license plates played out. Cool!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Great thread as I've got a ducktail hanging on the wall I've been dying to put on a car. Got my M491 car back from dealer (had engine removed) and lining up the projects. Love the shiny bits in your engine compartment too. I know where I plan to spend my next $80!
Old 01-18-2014, 12:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Thanks man. The tin is off, the S tube is off, the lower nuts are off.... should fall right out, right?

Actually just catching my breath.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Also need a stubby little allen wrench for the alignment and camber plate adjustment eccentrics. I used a Torx bit who's points just happen to be the same size."

Good mechanics use the correct tools for the job!
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Also need a stubby little allen wrench for the alignment and camber plate adjustment eccentrics. I used a Torx bit who's points just happen to be the same size."

Good mechanics use the correct tools for the job!
I will put my tool box up against yours any day Loren, any day.

....and yes, every drawer looks like this.

Now, I'm beginning to think this wasn't the cooler after all. Cooler actually looks great, seals looked great, no sign of sludge build up around the seals either.

What I do see, and PLEASE JUMP IN HERE (and tell me what you see in the picture), is oil pooling on top of the engine. I'm thinking I've got a massive leak around something else. Guess a bit more investigation work is in order.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 01-19-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: A bit of an update