83 911sc shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Connor
The whole strut assembly is expensive! However, I pulled one of the front shocks today. All the fluid is sitting in the strut. Now what?
To get the full benefit of the Bilsteins you need the full strut.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
To get the full benefit of the Bilsteins you need the full strut.
What is the end game? Where is he taking the car? What is the cost benefit?

All the suspension tuning in the world is pointless if the car won't start. All the horsepower on the planet is useless if it's just a street car. What is this car's purpose, what is the budget, and where does new struts figure into the mix?

Bilstein inserts in my Boge struts and turbo tie rods transformed the front of my car. The front of my car is now capable of doing far more than I will ever ask of it. Admittedly, it isn't going to be a track car, so what is over the top for me may not apply to the OP.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Ryan O'Connor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think cost versus what I am going to be doing is a big consideration. I am doing all this because I have no idea when this stuff was done last. I want to get the suspension up to par and if I can improve it a bit that's good. Plus I'm having fun doing it!
Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Connor
Yeah I think cost versus what I am going to be doing is a big consideration. I am doing all this because I have no idea when this stuff was done last. I want to get the suspension up to par and if I can improve it a bit that's good. Plus I'm having fun doing it!
Having fun is the most important part.

For a pure street car, restoring the stock suspension back to spec is pretty darn good. Its amazing... Porsche actually has some pretty good engineers.

And BTW... don't forget about the suspension bushings... these are not sexy, but have a huge impact on the performance of the car.

IMHO, there is no thing as a dual-use street/track car. You just spend lots of money and end up with a lousy street car that is also a lousy track car.

The advice to set your goal for this car is good. Decide exactly what the car should be up-front and build to that.... otherwise, you are just burning cash wandering around in the woods.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 83 911sc shocks