Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Doug I think you are right about the oil tank. Some of these pumps could be for oil. Wonder what the labels above those relays say?

Does the trans have a cooler?

Love to be able to crawl around it. Looks pretty cool.
Mussy you ain't kidding. I'd sell one of Randy's nads for an evening with this thing.

I have this fear that the tread is going to be moved to the 930 side and really blow up.

They don't seem to me to be oil pumps as the lines aren't big enough. I think they are fuel. Who knows what kind of pressure is needed behind the injectors on this thing. the injectors are probably massive. And ya, it's got a full bank of relays and four more up by the master cylinder.

I think he said it does have a trans cooler with pump.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Mussy you ain't kidding. I'd sell one of Randy's nads for an evening with this thing.

I have this fear that the tread is going to be moved to the 930 side and really blow up.
Randy has nards.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Randy has nards.
Well. Only when hanging with Normy.

Here is the trans cooler pump

Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Is that the pump?
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pumps you see just behind the fuel cell are all fuel, labeled P1, P2, & P3. The fuses and relays to the right of the oil tank are likewise labeled. I really don't know why there would be a need for more than 2 pumps. The two units in the left rear section of the engine compartment are as Amber Lamps suggested, Bosch fuel filters. The fuel lines comes in from the left rear to the fuel filters top banjo fitting. The bottom banjo fitting has a line that go to each fuel rail so in essence there is one filter for each fuel rail. In the middle of the engine sits the fuel pressure regulator which apparently is plumbed in to drain off the pressure and return the fuel back to the front which I presume is the return side of the fuel tank.

The intake side of the plumbing between the intercooler and the throttle bodies is fitted with three fittings that take air pressure. Two lines run to one side of the pressure regulator, two lines from the other side of the regulator apply air pressure to the waste gates. One line from the intake side goes somewhere I couldn't trace, possible up to the front of the car for the gauge...not really sure.

There is one very large 1" diameter oil line that goes from the top of the engine center and goes to a tank on the right side of the engine at the top of the tank. Another fitting in the tank, near the bottom goes through the sheet metal on the right side and goes to a cooler on the right rear section ahead of the right rear wheel with a 12 vdc fan mounted on it. Left side rear wheel well also has another cooler with again another 12 vdc fan mounted. The very front of the car has two oil coolers mounted on the front nose with fans as well. It would appear someone is using the air cooling ducts normally going to the brakes (guessing here) to accomplish this.

Yes, the transmission (transaxle) has an oil pump on the right side with a cooler mounted on the left side above it, again with a fan mounted to it. I have more fans on this car that Home Depot has in their electrical lighting department.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:30 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
Rennlist Member

Most guys would just dip their toe in to check the water before they dive in. You must be a cannon baller.

Car is Badass.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:42 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
962 engines had either MFI or Bosch Motronic (motorsports version) and neither one used an accumulator. That function was provided by the fuel pump check valve and the FPR at the rails.
Steve, how common is/was it to build a 962 motor with a vertical fan?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I remember when this car was built, although I cannot recollect who did the installation. One of the magazines did a feature on this one.

Only two cars done with 962 engines; Canepa did a red cab, and this black cab.

Its NOT easy to stuff this engine and all required ancillaries into a 911, compared to the 962's engine bay.
Thanks for letting me know. Can you recall which magazine did the story on this car ? I'm really trying hard to dig up the history of this car. The last buyer I'm able to talk with bought the car at an auction in Monterey, California from an estate. Apparently the man who owned it, and who may have had it built, passed away. I communicated with Ed Pink Race Engines about this engine, which was claimed to have been built by them on the big plackard I got with the car. They said they built a few 962 air cooled race engines and if they did this one, it would be stamped with their letters and an accompanying number. I couldn't find any such stamping. Anything you can come up with would be a tremendous help. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Is that the pump?
Yep. Check out the sump. Seriously bad ***.

Who is gonna explain what makes this thing a 962? Is it the old style case and internal build components and characteristics. Twin plug looks straightforward.

Mike, we are gonna need more pictures.
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Yep. Check out the sump. Seriously bad ***.

Who is gonna explain what makes this thing a 962? Is it the old style case and internal build components and characteristics. Twin plug looks straightforward.

Mike, we are gonna need more pictures.
Ok, tell me what you need to see and I'll take the pictures.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:23 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
Ok, tell me what you need to see and I'll take the pictures.
Well, just everything.

There are so many things on your car that are not stock that it really excites the mind. The amount of money it would take to build that car and the depth of knowledge and ingenuity the builder had just boggles the mind. Looking at it gives me ideas for my own car. Just start snapping photos around the engine bay...there will be no bad pictures.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Now I see you have got a thread going in the turbo forum. Good move.

In this photo I see that you do not have the stock oil tank in the right rear fender, you have a nice aluminum one that does that job placed just inward and forward of the stock location. Very cool.

Ya know what.....I'm guessing that the radiators and fans you have in the rear wheel wells are the A/C condensers.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Yep, this is fun. They are parallel flow even.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Steve, how common is/was it to build a 962 motor with a vertical fan?
Just for street use,...

There were two 962 engines: one air-cooled one based on a single-turbo 935 and the other was a water-cooled version with twin turbochargers. The air-cooled version used the 935 flat-fan.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
Thanks for letting me know. Can you recall which magazine did the story on this car ? I'm really trying hard to dig up the history of this car. The last buyer I'm able to talk with bought the car at an auction in Monterey, California from an estate. Apparently the man who owned it, and who may have had it built, passed away. I communicated with Ed Pink Race Engines about this engine, which was claimed to have been built by them on the big plackard I got with the car. They said they built a few 962 air cooled race engines and if they did this one, it would be stamped with their letters and an accompanying number. I couldn't find any such stamping. Anything you can come up with would be a tremendous help. Thank you in advance.
Its been several years and honestly, I don't recollect which one I saw it in. I'd have to sit down & go back through all my Porsche magazines (spanning 25+ years) to find it. If I get time, I'll take a look around here.

Indeed, Ed Pink did stamp each & every engine with their numbering system, however I don't know where they do that. They should have been able to tell you where to find it.

Quick Reply: Newbie to Porsche