Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie to Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're talking about the bellcranks and linkages on either side of the trunk. They are the headlight lifting mechanism typically fitted on slant nose 930's. The aftermarket ones used two separate motors. The original Porsche set up is like the one in my car with one motor in the middle and linkages going to each side. If the motor craps out, there is a manual crank up or down **** in the middle which you can see in the picture. I had to research that a bit since I really do know very little about Porsche cars and specifically this 930. I'm hoping to learn a lot from this community. I've also ordered some books to bone up.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Welcome and gotta say for a new Porsche owner you didn't screw around....would love to have a chance to drive that beastie.
Enjoy it and there's lots of smart fella's around here for any questions.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:40 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Car looks great, and is clearly a beast with that motor.
Enjoy your new toy.
There are lots of great helpful folks here and over in the Turbo section as well.
Just because we are mostly N/A cars here, doesn't mean we don't appreciate a little boost now and then.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any chance we are looking at two tanks up front? Big one for fuel and small one for oil? Seems reasonable to do.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

+1 on the tank? reserve for gas? they deff didnt screw around with the motor build... check out the spark plug hold down clamp thingy.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

I have a question about these cars. I have 3 electric fuel pumps in the front trunk area as seen just ahead of the fuel cell in one of the pictures I posted. Since I noticed that the fan belt was loose, and then discovered that the fan pulley wasn't installed correctly and had boogerred up the shaft, I've had the arduous task of replacing the fan, fan outter pulley, shims, alternator nut, etc. In order to get to the parts that need to be removed, I've had to remove the intercooler, the complete exhaust system along with the turbo, wastegates, etc.

Having done all of that has given me a chance to see more things in the engine compartment. I found two more Bosch fuel pumps on the left side of the engine compartment. That makes a total of 5 fuel pumps. I don't think the space shuttle had 5 fuel pumps in the entire shuttle. How many fuel pumps does one of these need ?

For those of you wondering why I'm removing all of this stuff in order to just change the belt and fan.....................Well, I'm glad you asked. There is a billet aluminum engine mount along the back of the motor that is so close to the engine crank pulley, the belt will not come off or go on without removing the engine mount. You can't remove the engine mount without removing the turbo which is right behind the engine mount (tightly mounted). You can't get the turbo out of there without first removing the two waste gates and then the entire exhaust system. Oh, I almost forgot. The fan won't come off without removing the A/C belt that runs from the engine crank pulley to the jack shaft mounted A/C clutch, and that belt had not adjustment allowance so I had to cut it off. I'm not sure how they got it on unless they did it with the engine assembly outside the car and used two or three football front linemen to wrestle it on. I also notice that the A/C compressor is mounted so tightly against the right side engine compartment that the pulley is somewhat milling a small slot into the sheet metal. But the engine is down about an 1 inch or so, so I'm thinking it won't be a problem once I bolt it back up. Talk about a tight fit !!!! However, I can honestly say that this thing is built with very high quality and precise fit. Not like a Chevy where you need a pry bar, a big hammer and a torch to make things fit. There is some serious engineering in this car.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

While I won't argue that it looks like three fuel pumps up front, I will take issue with the assertion that you have two more out back. What I'm seeing in that picture are two fuel filters. That is where the fuel filter is normally located. You simply have two. Now....if they are not run is series, I'm wondering if perhaps you don't have two completely separate fuel delivery systems with a switch to choose between the two somewhere in the cockpit.

Something else that has been eating at me in one of your previous posts . You have the factory headlight set up with one motor/actuator, not two separate units like in the aftermarket setups. This is a good thing. Look at your trunk picture and compare it to the one in the link below. that round black thing is the actuator. You have one, seriously tricked out car...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...-flachbau.html

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 12-09-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Amber Lamps, thanks for giving me some info on this. I assume you can see the two cannisters on the left side in the picture. Since they're metal cans and have the two banjo style fittings on top with hoses leading off, I assumed they were fuel pumps. So do the cans or shells screw off and explose a fuel filter element ? It is one tight fit in there.

You mention the possibility of two separate fuel systems with a switch on the dash. There are switches on the dash that are not described in the owner's manual and I would assume were put in there by the car's builder. To tell you the truth, I don't have a clue yet what they do. I'm trying to limit my screwing around with this stuff to little drabs so I can understand their impact. I have wires and hoses going everywhere. Some of them are obvious, some are not.

If any of you guys see something in the pictures that can help me understand this beast, please fill me in. As I said, I know very little about this car and am trying to figure it out. It works incredibly well and it appears to be very professionaly engineered (even if I don't immediately understand it).
Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I remember when this car was built, although I cannot recollect who did the installation. One of the magazines did a feature on this one.

Only two cars done with 962 engines; Canepa did a red cab, and this black cab.

Its NOT easy to stuff this engine and all required ancillaries into a 911, compared to the 962's engine bay.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Canepa red cab:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradfor...n/photostream/
Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
I assume you can see the two cannisters on the left side in the picture. Since they're metal cans and have the two banjo style fittings on top with hoses leading off, I assumed they were fuel pumps. So do the cans or shells screw off and explose a fuel filter element?
Mike, the two cannisters you see in the engine compartment along the driver's side fender wall are not fuel pumps. One is [most likely] the factory, sealed, fuel filter [with a fitting top and bottom] and the other is [most likely] the factory fuel accumulator [with two fittings on top], used to maintain system pressure after engine shutdown.

FWIW, Porsche installed two fuel pumps in the 930 and 965...one up front near the fuel tank, and one out back near the gearbox/engine assembly.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

While that engine pic doesn't show the filter area well enough to make a positive ID on what they both are, the only cars that had accumulators were the CIS ones; 930 & C2 Turbo. If the IC was removed, one could clearly see what is there next to the filter.

962 engines had either MFI or Bosch Motronic (motorsports version) and neither one used an accumulator. That function was provided by the fuel pump check valve and the FPR at the rails.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Any chance we are looking at two tanks up front? Big one for fuel and small one for oil? Seems reasonable to do.
Little tank could be for alcohol/methanol and pump or pumps as well.

One thing is for sure that you have a leaky turbo.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Steve, what are your thoughts on what looks like two distinct fuel cells up front? One fuel, the other oil.

If you look at where the A/C compressor sits it look like there is no oil tank there. The compressors lines run right into the space normally occupied by the oil tank.

Interesting, no?

...and upfront you can see where large black lines run across the back of the fuel cell. They look very similar to the ones that run along side the passenger side of the cell leading up to the oil cooler in the chin.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:44 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Doug I think you are right about the oil tank. Some of these pumps could be for oil. Wonder what the labels above those relays say?

Does the trans have a cooler?

Love to be able to crawl around it. Looks pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Newbie to Porsche