Insurance woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:32 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance woes

I have a situation brewing.
I have had my car on the lift for a year while I'm doing an engine rebuild, and looking after some other things as well.
When I took the car off the road I reduced the insurance to comprehensive only.
I just got a letter from my insurance company telling me that because I haven't had "compulsory" coverage on the car for a period of 12 months, they will be removing it from my policy as of October 1st.
WTF!!

I'm wondering if any of you have had you car out of commission for over a year, and have had a similar issues with insuring it for loss during that time?
If so, what did you do to rectify the situation?

BTW, I'm in Canada.

cheers
Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are happy with your current insurer, your best bet would be to add basic liability coverage (just the minimum limits required by law) and then when the car is ready to go back on the road, increase your liability limits and add whatever other coverages you think you'll need, i.e., Collision Coverage and Emergency Road Service, etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have other cars on the policy you cant have lower liab limits on just one car. Liab limits have to be the same for all cars on the policy. Never heard of you issue. May be a canada thing. Ive been in surance for over 12 years. In US you car store a car as long as needed with comp only.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jackb911
If you are happy with your current insurer, your best bet would be to add basic liability coverage (just the minimum limits required by law) and then when the car is ready to go back on the road, increase your liability limits and add whatever other coverages you think you'll need, i.e., Collision Coverage and Emergency Road Service, etc.
That's part of the problem that I guess I forgot to mention.
They won't allow me to put regular coverage on the car unless it is road worthy.
Grrr.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhmkv
May be a canada thing. Ive been in surance for over 12 years. In US you car store a car as long as needed with comp only.
Interesting. I wonder if I would have said it was in storage would I have not run into this issue. Perhaps this is another example of the dangers of providing to much information to an insurer. What business is it of theirs if I work on my car or just let it sit. I could see if I was removing parts and selling them off, but to basically devalue my car because I'm working on it is absurd.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
Interesting. I wonder if I would have said it was in storage would I have not run into this issue. Perhaps this is another example of the dangers of providing to much information to an insurer. What business is it of theirs if I work on my car or just let it sit. I could see if I was removing parts and selling them off, but to basically devalue my car because I'm working on it is absurd.
well maybe they know how good a mechanic you are ?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

^^^^ Ouch!!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are they saying they will drop the car completely. If its a normal insurance company drop them and get collectors insurance
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bhmkv
Are they saying they will drop the car completely. If its a normal insurance company drop them and get collectors insurance
Yes, they will remove it from the policy as of Oct 1st unless I can have it road worthy and put "normal" coverage back on it.

Quick Reply: Insurance woes