Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM
84Euro911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing an 84 Euro Carrera to CA

Hello Porsche lovers,

This is my first post to this forum.

A bit of history:

My grand father had a couple of Porsches and used to drive them on French country roads. One day, he missed a turn and ended up below a truck. When I was a kid, I heard many times: "this car saved my life." My cousin still has his latest one, a beautiful metallic grey 1974 911S.

My father had four Porsches a Super 90 which he enjoyed until he couldn't afford it anymore, a grey 924, a metallic brown 944 and finally a grand prix white 1984 3.2L 911. I remember the front engine ones, but the Carrera is really the one that we enjoyed the most and became a catalyst for our strong father/son relationship. We drove it most on small French country roads and tracks like the Circuit Paul Ricard and the Circuit de Ledenon.

I now have this car in France, and I would like to import it to where I live… Yes… California…

It originally came with a Turbo spoiler, and those are the modifications we did later:
- Big brakes
- Front fog lights removed, replace by grid and pipe to cool the brakes
- Bilstein, chassis lowered
- Front strut bar
- 15" Fuchs replaced the original alloy phone dial
- 6 points roll bar
- Bucket seats at front with 4 points harnesses, no back seats
- Thin carpet
- Light dashboard
- Light door panels
- K&N filer
- AC removed
- Some engine tuning
etc..

The car being more than 25 years old, the only problem remaining seems to be the visual and smog test.

This 2006 post by Tony Garcia, "US vs. Euro spec Carrera 3.2," is what drove me to this forum:

>>>Are there any problems with meetiing smog requirements with the Euro cars?<<<

Nope. As long as the stock fuel injection is in proper order, you can slap on a factory Porsche cat, with the 02 sensor and it will pass both the visual and the dyno smog test here in California with flying colors. Done it many times now.

But trying to import one now days is a different story. If it can be done, which I doubt, it isn't worth the cost or hassle. The current euro Carrera I have was imported into Southern California in 1986 (it was much easier to do then).

Once the car has been registered, it will always be able to be registered. Then the requirements are just like any USA 911 Carrera.

TonyG

This car is really special to me and I don't want to sell it or let it rust in a garage in France…

Has anyone more up to date information with the grey market importation issues?

Is the visual inspection just for the engine/smog test since the car is more than 25 years old or will the other modifications be an issue?

I hope I'll be able to meet some of you on the tracks or elsewhere with my US registered Euro Carrera soon enough!

Jerome

Last edited by 84Euro911; 08-02-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Anything newer than 1975 has to pass emissions testing, IMO. I'd contact the DMv to get the real scoop from them. Nothing anyone posts here means a darn, if the state demands more. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

"The '74 is exempt here in California" has always been the buzz. It is the only impact bumper car that is.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wait. : banghead: are we talking about the '84?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Ed. You're walking on thin ice with a gray market car in California. First inspection will be for safety standards as mandated by the Feds for the year of the car. Doubt there are issues there though. Next, can one just "plug and play" with an O2 sensor and cat installation to satisfy the visual and "run" smog inspection. Does the DME have to be changed or reprogrammed to recognize the O2 sensor?
I'll leave that for the forum techs to answer............
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Does the DME have to be changed or reprogrammed to recognize the O2 sensor?"

Correct, assuming it's an 051 versus a USA 050 or an 082 or the later Euro,
e.g. 078.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

I brought in a 1986 Euro cab to California a few years ago. You can not get it registered in the State of California without having it go through a registered importer. It will be checked to make sure it passes all DOT (Department of Transportation) federal regulations and then it must pass all CARB (California Air Resources Board). Theses are two different requirements that can only be done and certified through a list of recognized importers that you can get from the DMV. This is an expensive process so make your calls before you ship. Curt

http://www.gnkauto.com/

Last edited by jaeger86; 08-02-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add information
Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
84Euro911
Track Day

Thank you for your answers.

Since the car is more than 25 years old, I might not have to go through a registered importer.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS). Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture.
(From: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-into-the-u.s.)

I'll ask G&K Automotive Conversion. Thank you jaeger86 for including their link in your post! Maybe your car was less than 25 years old when you imported it?

Hopefully I assume correctly, and the only remaining issue will be the CA smog requirements (visual and run)…
Old 08-02-2013, 03:53 PM
jaeger86
Advanced

84Euro, you cited a federal site, California has it's own regulations that are much stronger than Federal. Curt
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM
84Euro911
Track Day

I talked to George at G&K Automotive Conversion, they are very experienced importers.

He confirmed that unless the car has crazy body modifications, being more than 25 year old, the only issue is the CA smog compliance.

So if I understand well, changing the exhaust for one with a catalytic converter, an O2 sensor and possibly a reprogrammed the DME is all I need to do.

Anyone has an idea of how much that would cost?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:36 AM
jaeger86
Advanced

Did you ask George since they must do the work and not a non registered importer? Curt
Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
84Euro911
Track Day

He gave a rough estimate of $6,500.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

I wish you all the best on getting the car into California. That "rough" estimate may cover the conversion expense but, does that mean the car will pass the smog test also? You may want to plan on other maintenance/repairs that may be needed AFTER the conversion to get the engine to comply with emissions specs.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 AM
84Euro911
Track Day

Thank you Rick! My car looks very much like yours!

Those modifications are to make the car comply with the California Air Resources Board, so I guess it is meant to make it pass the smog test.

I called the California ARB and they confirmed that, even if the car is more than 25 years, it must be done through a registered importer. At the time of this post, there are only 2 in California G&K Auto in SoCal (http://www.gnkauto.com/) and NCDL Inc. in NorCal (http://www.ncdlinc.com/).

Quick Reply: Importing an 84 Euro Carrera to CA