Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which car to DE.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Which car to DE.........

I am scheduling Lime Rock and a little on the fence on which car to bring. This will be my first DE in a Porsche or any road car for that matter. I did a 10 lap DE experience in a stock car at Pocono before. In which you follow the instructor, without any communication other than flags, hitting points, apex and maintaining 7 car lengths behind. The instructor then gauges your performance but what he sees in his rear view. If all good, he opens it up so you can open it up. I was actually one of the best runners and had at least 5 flat out laps on the tri-oval. When I brought it in and asked how fast I was going, they hit the switch on the tach and said I almost blew the engine! The only time I shifted and was in a gear other than 4th, was existing the pits at low rpm. From that point on we were instructed not to shift and remian in 4th (top gear). That being said, means I hit 180mph!
Obviously the crowd is biased here, but I think I will get the greatest thrill in the Targa, due to its raw nature.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No doubt it's the Targa,
Old 05-25-2013, 10:40 AM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not so sure...

I'm no expert, but I've been to more than a few DE's at Lime Rock, Pocono etc. If I read your message correctly Sarge, you'll be in the "Green" group, with the other beginners, with an instructor at all times. That's how MetroPCA rolls, for good reason.
Everyone in your run group will be "Green", meaning you're all beginners, regardless of type of Porsche, and you'll only be allowed to pass, by signaling properly, on the straight. Very orderly, very controlled. It's to learn. It's not a race.

Lime Rock is challenging. The Cayman handles better. The Targa is more challenging to master. For my first time, I'd choose 'easier to drive' over 'raw' anytime.

Go with the Cayman. You don't want the Targa biting you in the a@* right off the bat at your first DE.

IMHO, that is.

Respectfully,

Nick
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 PM
AK911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post reminds me of a recent conversation with an old friend about some of the unanticipated hassles of owning a second home, and he said "the quality of your problems has certainly improved." I think the question "Cayman S or Targa?" certainly rates as a quality problem (one I hope to have some day!). As a new Targa owner, I'd love to hear how yours fares at the DE, but that Cayman S is one heck of a performer.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by NYNick
I'm no expert, but I've been to more than a few DE's at Lime Rock, Pocono etc. If I read your message correctly Sarge, you'll be in the "Green" group, with the other beginners, with an instructor at all times. That's how MetroPCA rolls, for good reason.
Everyone in your run group will be "Green", meaning you're all beginners, regardless of type of Porsche, and you'll only be allowed to pass, by signaling properly, on the straight. Very orderly, very controlled. It's to learn. It's not a race.

Lime Rock is challenging. The Cayman handles better. The Targa is more challenging to master. For my first time, I'd choose 'easier to drive' over 'raw' anytime.

Go with the Cayman. You don't want the Targa biting you in the a@* right off the bat at your first DE.

IMHO, that is.

Respectfully,

Nick
My other car is an '09 "Carrera" S, not a Cayman. However, for the reasons you stated about, is why I am on the fence! I was thinking about doing my first in the C2S and then second DE in the Targa. You are correct about the "Green" class that I will be in.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:47 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by AK911
This post reminds me of a recent conversation with an old friend about some of the unanticipated hassles of owning a second home, and he said "the quality of your problems has certainly improved." I think the question "Cayman S or Targa?" certainly rates as a quality problem (one I hope to have some day!). As a new Targa owner, I'd love to hear how yours fares at the DE, but that Cayman S is one heck of a performer.
Haha, this is not a problem for sure! My 7yr old daughter needing open heart surgery this fall, is just one of my real problems. This is a simple needed diversion from the reality of life! The other car I am considering is a "Carrera S", not a Cayman.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Haha, this is not a problem for sure! My 7yr old daughter needing open heart surgery this fall, is just one of my real problems. This is a simple needed diversion from the reality of life! The other car I am considering is a "Carrera S", not a Cayman.
I have no opinion on your car....I do want to wish your family the best of luck with your daughter. When I was helping my father thru his AML (leukemia) treatments, it was very difficult to see him suffering, it was especially difficult to the the young children going thru the same experience with an entire life ahead of them.

While this is clearly an off-topic post, I would share with you this video....it helps, when things get overwhelming.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the Cayman. Safer, newer, more reliable. Keep the Targa for cruising even though you modified it. After you learn the track take the Targa my thought. The Cayman will cost you less in the long run.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Wow what an amazing man, thanks for sharing Shannon. I didn't mean to make this thread heavy, just definitely wanted to make it know that I didn't consider this a problem and meant no animosity towards the poster that mentioned it.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:00 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Take the Cayman. Safer, newer, more reliable. Keep the Targa for cruising even though you modified it. After you learn the track take the Targa my thought. The Cayman will cost you less in the long run.
I have a Carrera S damit not a Cayman! haha
I am leaning towards the "Carrera" now
Old 05-25-2013, 04:13 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

First-Thoughts and prayers for your daughter.

on the DE- take the Cay...er Carrera S. That is a very capable, safe and robust car. It will surprise you how good it is. You will be focused on your skill development- learning a good safe line, how to brake, smooth inputs, looking ahead, basic car control (weight transfer, etc.). Make sure you have plenty of brake pad thickness and fresh fluid. Check the lug bolt torque. That's all the car will need. For you- stay hydrated, be ready to learn (leave the ego at home) and good luck getting some sleep the night before! You will have a blast.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the Carrera, your instructor will appreciate the A/C.

Really.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the Carrera !!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:26 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, take the C2 S.
perhaps we were all misled by your avatar?
Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell no. Man up and take the Targa.

No power steering, A/C, traction control or ABS. What's not to like?

(Just kidding. Take the Croc, er, water pumper for your first DE. I took my RSX Type S to my 1st and I'm darn glad I did. That said, I now take the Targa without hesitation, knowing that if I ball it up, I at least have a full roll cage, race seats, and 6 point harnesses. And whenever I screw up, the car lets me know immediately.)

Quick Reply: Which car to DE.........