Which car to DE.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NYNick
Ok, take the C2 S.
perhaps we were all misled by your avatar?
How can the avatar be misleading, it clearly shows my C2S! haha
Old 05-25-2013, 07:32 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by zedcat
First-Thoughts and prayers for your daughter.

on the DE- take the Cay...er Carrera S. That is a very capable, safe and robust car. It will surprise you how good it is. You will be focused on your skill development- learning a good safe line, how to brake, smooth inputs, looking ahead, basic car control (weight transfer, etc.). Make sure you have plenty of brake pad thickness and fresh fluid. Check the lug bolt torque. That's all the car will need. For you- stay hydrated, be ready to learn (leave the ego at home) and good luck getting some sleep the night before! You will have a blast.
Thanks Zed for the thoughts and prayers........car wise, that made me LOL on your correction!
C2S only has 6k on the clock, so no pad worries. Fluid wise, per the requirements, I'll need a brake flush and have my mechanic check the lugs during the required inpection. Another concern of mine, is the possibility of damaging the car. I'm not worried about myself, more worried about others. Car's sticker was $100k when I bought it and since then, pumped in an easy $5k for the PSE, Short Throw, clear bra, side decals, V1 in rear view and Air Intake.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:58 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 286 Posts

I hear you on potential damage. It is a potentially dangerous sport. I don't know Lime Rock so can't comment on it's relative dangers. On the plus side, as a first timer you'll have an instructor in the car and he or she will be focused on safety. They will want you to be able to drive home. Generally speeds will not be too high in a green group and you'll have PSM on to help. But there is a mental step to take to put a really nice car at risk and many of us go through it. I went through 4 DE weekends before my first agricultural excursion. I started carrying track insurance after that. It's not that cheap for a 50 to 60k value car but I needed the peace of mind. (I use Lockton). All that said, big accidents are relatively rare. Not sure if my comments help but for a first DE I would say the overall risk is pretty low.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Take the Targa, and you will learn much more, and have a greater feeling of accomplishment.

Best wishes to your daughter
Old 05-26-2013, 11:01 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, take the C2 S.
perhaps we were all misled by your avatar?
Not sure what you mean; his avatar shows a 997 Carrera S (as does mine).
Old 05-26-2013, 06:01 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bad on the Avatar comment...my eyes are toast!

FYI Sarge on the damage...it was one of the reasons I took a break from DE's. Running LR with $8,000 924's in the Green Group next to me as I take the downhill and track out onto the straight while driving a $150K TT kinda got to me after seeing some 'mistakes' out there. And you're right it's usually the other guy who makes the mistake, but you could be next to/behind him when it happens. I've seen a few of those at DE's...and at Lime Rock too. They bunch a $10,000 car into the wall, you bunch a $100,000 car into the wall....hmmmm.

Speeds get up there, even in the Green Group. I always found that if I was with a bunch of cars, and I was uncomfortable or wanted to spread my wings a little with them not around, I would Pit for a minute, let them get a head start, and then go back out. Even so...don't push too hard...it's your first time.

Thinking it back over, with your car values in mind, maybe I would take the TARGA?

Nick
Old 05-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Then there is the exact opposite. The ONLY problems I saw in several years of heavy DE'ing from 2002-2009 were the guys in the new TT's or other new hardware who really didn't have a clue. They could barrel down the straights, but some had no clue when they had to turn the steering wheel. Sometimes dangerous, and usually irritating for people in older cars that could drive. Thank goodness, that has I climbed the ladder in run groups, the goofballs fell by the wayside.

My bad on the Avatar comment...my eyes are toast!

FYI Sarge on the damage...it was one of the reasons I took a break from DE's. Running LR with $8,000 924's in the Green Group next to me as I take the downhill and track out onto the straight while driving a $150K TT kinda got to me after seeing some 'mistakes' out there. And you're right it's usually the other guy who makes the mistake, but you could be next to/behind him when it happens. I've seen a few of those at DE's...and at Lime Rock too. They bunch a $10,000 car into the wall, you bunch a $100,000 car into the wall....hmmmm.

Speeds get up there, even in the Green Group. I always found that if I was with a bunch of cars, and I was uncomfortable or wanted to spread my wings a little with them not around, I would Pit for a minute, let them get a head start, and then go back out. Even so...don't push too hard...it's your first time.

Thinking it back over, with your car values in mind, maybe I would take the TARGA?

Nick
Old 05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
NYNick
Racer

Gee thanks Ed. Feels like a shot right across my bow.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Take the car you are more comfortable with, or the one that challenges you the most...hopefully the same.
God bless your daughter.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Gee thanks Ed. Feels like a shot right across my bow.
No, just stating the facts. I spent many a day at tracks, and found the guys with the lower cost stuff, for the most part, came into the hobby with more care. The fact they maybe couldn't but more HP than they could handle, made them pretty conscientious and safe to run with.

Certainly, no statement or category is an absolute or true for everyone in such. And, make no mistake, this isn't a jealousy thing-I actually go against the wife's suggestions to buy a new Porsche.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 PM
NYNick
Racer

Very well.
Its Sarge's decision anyway.

Have fun Sarge! When's the date?
Maybe I'll have a black 911 Targa by then and join you! Or a 911 coupe. Or maybe even a 993!

Still shopping...
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 PM
kboustani
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i have done my share of des in my 1976 euro carrera 3.0.i started with a 2000 996 in 2003 and decided i wanted something more chalenging so i sold my 996 and bought my 76 carrera 3.
10 years later i now put my 76 carrera 3 back to stock due to everyone else have much faster cars and i am in group 4(advance)group.
take the carrera,you will have a more fun and faster day.drive the targa on weekend drives with the top off.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Dan V
Race Car

I vote Targa because you'll be slower in it which is preferable for a beginner. i.e. its more fun to drive a slow car "fast". From what I remember from seeing ALMS race on TV, Lime Rock is a rather short and technical track where a high-top-speed car might not get to stretch its legs so to speak.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Hell no. Man up and take the Targa.

No power steering, A/C, traction control or ABS. What's not to like?

(Just kidding. Take the Croc, er, water pumper for your first DE. I took my RSX Type S to my 1st and I'm darn glad I did. That said, I now take the Targa without hesitation, knowing that if I ball it up, I at least have a full roll cage, race seats, and 6 point harnesses. And whenever I screw up, the car lets me know immediately.)
You mean my Carrera S? haha
You went all out w/ your Targa it seems, roll cage and all!?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Take the Targa, and you will learn much more, and have a greater feeling of accomplishment.

Best wishes to your daughter
Thanks Ed!

Quick Reply: Which car to DE.........