Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone checked out this 3.2 in Houston?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 02:25 AM
loitsang@yahoo.com
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone checked out this 3.2 in Houston?

Hey guys,

This caught my attention, wondering if anyone has seen this car in real life and checked it out. If yes, your help and thoughts please.

http://annexhouston.com/houston-car-...1-coupe-23900/

1. Anyone have any feedback with this place?

2. I'm in California bay area. Any advice on buying an out of state 1987 3.2 and getting it passed current CA Smog?

3. PPI in Houston area. Other posts have good feedback for these places;

(a) Michael Cawley
http://www.pcarshops.com/texas/european-auto-techniks

(b) Jeff at Momentum

(c) http://www.eurocarwerk.com/pre-purchase-inspection
Only for local inspections?

Anyone had a PPI recently done for this type of car at any of the above?

Read the thread for a 964 currently for sale at this place, posted earlier this month;
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...need-help.html

Wanted to check here for this 3.2, any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited by loitsang@yahoo.com; 04-22-2013 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Quick look shows the tires are not proper size. Shift **** is not correct (nor is gear pattern), aftermarket shift boot. Interior looks tired.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:54 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ed, everything about the shifter is proper. That is the G50 shift pattern, and the boot is original. The shift **** looks funny only because the leather covering was removed, or wore off. That's what it looks like underneath.

This is a hideous color combo. Marine Blue with Grey/Green? I can only imagine it's been repainted.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Ed, everything about the shifter is proper. That is the G50 shift pattern, and the boot is original. The shift **** looks funny only because the leather covering was removed, or wore off. That's what it looks like underneath.

This is a hideous color combo. Marine Blue with Grey/Green? I can only imagine it's been repainted.
Looked at this waiting for an early flight this morning. Coulda sworn I saw a six speed pattern the first time I looked. Too many hours on the road this month, I guess.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:21 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Quick look shows the tires are not proper size. Shift **** is not correct (nor is gear pattern), aftermarket shift boot. Interior looks tired.
That interior could be cleaned up pretty easily though. I don't think that green/grey color is really one that will wear well anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

LSD and sport seats are a big plus.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 AM
marcel964
Advanced

Funny color combo. I alsmost sure interior is original. My 87 has same interior. It is a green color. Looks decent to me. My car on the otherhand is outside more in the interior style, granite green (on pics it looks gray). Best to look for service book and stickers in the car. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Tango635
Racer

I used Mike Callas in Sealy for a PPi: http://www.rennsportporscheworks.com/

Only thing about Sealy is that it is a 50 minute drive from where the car is located. Annex is located near downtown Houston. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...ra=ls&t=m&z=10

Callas is highly recommended. Of the three you listed, I am not familiar enough with any of those to provide a recommendation, although, when I was looking for my car, I drove a car that Momentum had on the lot. They missed a pretty obvious issue, loose crank pulley and proceeded to act like a typical dealership, so anyone at Momentum is questionable to me.

I could take a preliminary look at the car, if you would like. If interested, PM your info and I will get in touch.

As far as California emissions, if the stock exhaust (cat converter) is in place, I don't think you should have a problem. It's when people remove the cat or do not-well-planned performance upgrades that they have issues passing smog tests. You could ask Annex to have a Texas smog test performed (about $50) and it may give you some insight into whether it should pass the CA smog test. Ed Hughes used to have a smokin' 3.4. He should be able to give you some advise on this.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have checked it out:

The bad:
-The ABS doesn't work
-The power steering doesn't work
-The ESP and traction control doesn't work
-The navigation system was hard to figure out
-I couldn't get it into 6th gear
-The automatic climate system didn't work on auto
-I nearly had a crash on the freeway when I tried to find the cup holders
-When I opened the trunk there was something that resembled a jet engine that nearly snapped my fingers off
-There was no engine under the hood
-There was no sun when I opened the sun roof

The good:
-It's a proper 911...!!!

This lookes like a nice car!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Man the early 911 guys would die for an interior that color, Jennings had one that color and folks went apesh*t for it
Phil
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Looks decent to me, get a good PPI...I like the color btw.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car with the desired options. Make sure they have records for the top end being done due to valve guide issue. Color is very nice. Carpet can easily be replaced for less than a $1,000 professionally. Focus on the mechanicals. I just spent $8K on my newly acquired '89 for just mechanicals and that didn't include top end or clutch. All those little things add up.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Actually, valve guides aren't that great of an issue. Unless one buys a car that hasn't been driven, any that had a issue, have-most likely. The majority don't, so it isn't mandatory to look for a car that has had a top end rebuild.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Hibble
Track Day

Smile

Not to thread jack here. But I happened across this 964 at Annex Houston as well and it has caught my attention. Like the OP I'm not located in Houston (I live in Phoenix) and was curious if anybody has seen this car or has any experience with Annex Houston.

Thanks in advance guys!

(BTW, this is my first post on Rennlist. I've found a TON of information here that's helping me along the way to buying my first Porsche!)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 AM
Tango635
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Actually, valve guides aren't that great of an issue.
Ed,you say that, but there's plenty of people that have experienced worn guides. Maybe you're right, most do not have this issue, but plenty do.

Anyway, a PPI that includes a leak down test, may point out this potential issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone checked out this 3.2 in Houston?