911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil for breaking your nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013 | 02:34 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Acetone is a concern so should be handled carefully....hell, gasoline is toxic.
Old 01-08-2013 | 03:58 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Reiver
Acetone is a concern so should be handled carefully....hell, gasoline is toxic.
How much of a concern is acetone really?
Old 01-08-2013 | 04:11 PM
wolds
Advanced

I've got a 50/50 mix of acetone and powersteering fluid going to work on the bolts that hold my caliper halves together right now. As soon as I get my ribe bit from PMB Performance I'll let ya know how well it worked.
Old 01-08-2013 | 07:03 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

We tried this over at the railroad museum where I work (lots of rusty nuts over there - both varieties!) after this info first hit the web sometime last year. We compared it to Kroil only.

Bottom line was we didn't find a significant difference in the sort of applications we have and so continue to use Kroil. Using heat in addition to either voids the comparison (in my opinion) is usually heat will loosen up anything.
Old 01-08-2013 | 08:33 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by KaiB
How much of a concern is acetone really?
Did some googling

As far as lab chemicals go, acetone really is not very dangerous. As a synthetic organic chemist, we routinely use it outside a hood to rinse glassware and even to wash other junk off our hands. In general, you should avoid contact with just about anything that's not pure water but acetone is pretty innocuous.

In some people it can cause a skin irritation but mostly, as it's a good solvent, it'll just rinse the oils from your skin leaving it dry.

Try to avoid inhaling too much of it, that's probably not very good for you. Studies have shown that light contact is rather harmless. You can actually drink 20 mL of it with little effect:

"Ingestion is not a typical route of occupational exposure. Several studies report no effects or minor effects (slight drowsiness) in people who ingested up to 20 grams/day for several days. Animal toxicity information also suggests that acetone is not very toxic following ingestion." see source link below:
Old 01-08-2013 | 08:51 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Interesting subject!
Speaking of braking things....
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2013 | 09:26 PM
tulliotk
Advanced

Default Kroil vs. ATF/Acetone

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
Bottom line was we didn't find a significant difference in the sort of applications we have and so continue to use Kroil. Using heat in addition to either voids the comparison (in my opinion) is usually heat will loosen up anything.
In studies I saw, ATF/acetone worked a bit better than Kroil. However, even if they worked the same, Kroil will cost 5-6 times as much as a home-brew ATF/acetone mix.

Todd Kuzma
Old 01-08-2013 | 10:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Amen on the heat. Prime example-anyone removing exhaust on anything older than a 964 is foolish not to have a torch. Being lulled into false security by using any penetrant is bound to be short-lived and turn out to be a real pain.

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
We tried this over at the railroad museum where I work (lots of rusty nuts over there - both varieties!) after this info first hit the web sometime last year. We compared it to Kroil only.

Old 01-09-2013 | 12:07 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by amber lamps
OK, pal...no more tools, hammers, or sharp objects for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From here on, you only can have rubber or foam tools & implements to prevent an encore performance.
Old 01-09-2013 | 12:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Ouch-tonight?
Old 01-09-2013 | 01:01 AM
Reiver
Drifting

C'mon down for a cup of coffee at the "Cowboy Cafe"....you'll fit in with a few of the thumbless team ropers...
Old 01-09-2013 | 02:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Ouch-tonight?
Sunday evening putting tools away in poring down rain. The shed I keep the Porsche in somehow reached out and took it clean off without really telling me it happened. I felt a little pain, but it was Elayne that said it was missing the nail. Went back out and there it was right below the lock on the shed door dancing around in the rain drops. About ten minutes later it hurt like the dickens.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2013 | 01:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah thast gonna be painfull for a LOOOONg time
Old 01-09-2013 | 08:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Jeezus DB, HTH did you do that?? I made it through this entire year unscathed, mostly.

I like aero-Kroil and my mapp gas torch...but I did add a mini oxy-acetylene torch to restore some rusty wagons earlier this year.

Quick Reply: oil for breaking your nuts!