Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1970 T...Clone Variant

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1970 T...Clone Variant

I kind of like this, but I like stuff thats a bit different. I would not buy this particular one, but its got some things I do like. Longhood, Widebody etc.

Curious, what value would you guys put on something like this ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5912933...7632368550191/
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I like it. ....but it's out of my price range.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:28 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 56 Posts

The exterior looks decent, however, an unusual paint color for a RS clone but so is mine...

What bothers me on this car is considering all the work and money that was invested in this conversion is that the undercarriage is very dirty and overall, the car just isn't well detailed at all. Lots of paint overspray here and there, too.

The jack point shown in the closeup looks a little wonky too. This era of Porsche rusts very easily but it does look pretty solid underneath elsewhere under all the grime. It's not very pretty in the trunk area, either.

I'd need to know more info before coming up with a fair value. Is the widebody conversion steel or fiberglass? I'd like to see pictures of the car before the conversion was done as well.

Based on the pics I'd guess a fair selling price would be maybe 15K if the body is solid and the mechanicals are good. If the car were nicely detailed inside, outside and underneath and had front flares to match the rear it would bring considerably more. At first glance, the car looks pretty nice; after studying the photos, ummm...not so much. What I see is a basis for a proper '73 style RSR backdate, after replacing/flaring the front fenders and doing a LOT of detail work and getting rid of the highback seats, etc.

(EDIT: I also didn't notice the non-flared front fenders...edited the above comments somewhat)

Just my humble opinion...YMMV.

Last edited by jackb911; 01-07-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice and shiny, but some things just don't add up for me.
Like jackb911 said, underside looks dirty and uncared for. It reveals that the focus on this build was on the cosmetic aspects, and not very thorough beyond that.
The trunk lid doesn't line up correctly on the driver's side.
The passenger fender doesn't line up with the bumper, and there is a dent on top of the fender near the pillar. Looks like it needs rear torsion bar bushings as well.
Not a good example overall.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, it isn't an RS clone, as it has big fenders at the back. But, no big fenders at the front, so not an RSR either. Kind of unbalanced, to my eye. I also would rather see an RSR tail on these wide body conversions, rather than a ducktail.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

i like the burgendy looking one just posted much better.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:34 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Kind of unbalanced, to my eye.
Indeed :-)

Originally Posted by theiceman
i like the burgendy looking one just posted much better.
Yes, nice looking car. Interesting exhaust setup as well.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Well, it isn't an RS clone, as it has big fenders at the back. But, no big fenders at the front, so not an RSR either. Kind of unbalanced, to my eye. I also would rather see an RSR tail on these wide body conversions, rather than a ducktail.
I saw most of the things pointed out, but totally missed the front not being flared.....as always, you guys don't miss much and I missed less this time !

Also didn't put much attention on the underside, but thats a pretty big thing now that I see why a 'dirty' underside could easily mean many things could be superficially spruced up. The abundance of overspray was something that did at least get me thinking it was more of a 'face-lift' job than anything thorough.

Nice job guys....I feel like my eyes are continuing to sharpen on these things.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This car also caught my eye when it was advertised on Samba for 22.5K a few weeks ago. Looks like it's being flipped locally in SoCal. I also googled the VIN and found a thread on Pelican concerning a previous incarnation:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5607456
Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alanine
This car also caught my eye when it was advertised on Samba for 22.5K a few weeks ago. Looks like it's being flipped locally in SoCal. I also googled the VIN and found a thread on Pelican concerning a previous incarnation:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ml#post5607456
Hum....its all sounds like a bad dream now. The car looks virtually the same now as 2010 when he wanted $12k, you said a few weeks ago he wanted $22.5k......I see it now on ebay for Buy it now $32k.

Man......I feel very very sorry for the people who do not hang out here on Rennlist/Pelican and don't get educated on these machines.

Last edited by Shannon123; 01-07-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: mis- spelling
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
Hum....its all sounds like a bad dream now. The car looks virtually the same now as 2010 when he wanted $12k, you said a few weeks ago he wanted $22.5k......I see it now on ebay for BIT $32k.

Man......I feel very very sorry for the people who do not hang out here on Rennlist/Pelican and don't get educated on these machines.
Is this the same owner, or a flipper?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Is this the same owner, or a flipper?
The way the EBAY ad reads 'same owner since 1996' one can only assume its the same owner and no flipper invloved.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Alanine
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the ebay ad may be misleading with regards to ownership (or at least my definition of ownership). I contacted the guy selling it through Samba a few weeks ago and he was based in Santa Monica and selling it for 22.5K and told me he was not the owner who did all the work. That sale was marked as "sold". Then over xmas the ebay ad appears, from a guy selling it further south in Carlsbad. That ebay listing ended at 25.5K and was then relisted with a buy-it-now of 32K.

Quick Reply: 1970 T...Clone Variant