Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:51 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Lightbulb Engine cosmetics and a few questions

This is for the SC -> RS project ...

I am not opening the engine... at least I hope I don't have to Currently removing the stock headers, replacing exhaust studs, etc.

I want the engine to look nice... and would love to have carbs or efi trumpets that looks like a carb setup, but no budget for that now. So asking for suggestions on the following:

1. What to use to clean the block so that it looks like new? Remember, not taking the engine apart... so don't tell me to dip it in acid

2. Previous owner powder coated a few parts in yellow... not really my color. With the car being painted Non-metallic Aquamarine Blue. What would be a cool color to paint the engine tins to make the engine bay look nicer?

3. Same question for the fan housing and blades...

4. Should I just clean the engine fan shroud and leave it original or color match it to the exterior of the car?? or give it the same color as the engine tins?

5. Engine tins between cylinders, can those be removed without removing the heads? They are beyond restoration and I would like to replace them if possible. I have an Expandable Oil Return Tube Kit on the way, just in case those need to come out to get the tins out...

6. Valve covers were powder coated silver... I guess I will leave them like that. I have a new set of original wires to replace those blue ones in the photo (new set came with the car).

7. I will have no heat or AC in this car... So looking to block off the holes in the engine tins where heater hoses came in. One side is easy, just a flat piece, the other one I will have to grind the welds to remove the metal tube that comes down. I also have the side cover that eliminates the hose outlet on the side of the fan housing (the one next to the distributor).

What else guys?? Thank you in advanced for your suggestions!!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yellow tin should be semi-gloss black.

Fan should remain the same.

I think you are out of luck on the head tins. Who's gonna be under there looking anyway? I'd be more concerned with leaves and mice stuck on the top of the heads than rust showing through on the bottom.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Yellow tin should be semi-gloss black.

Fan should remain the same.

I think you are out of luck on the head tins. Who's gonna be under there looking anyway? I'd be more concerned with leaves and mice stuck on the top of the heads than rust showing through on the bottom.
It just bugs the hell out of me to have the engine out and not get those tins replaced... I will know...

Everything else that can give me a problem is getting replaced proactively (triangle of leak - oil pressure switch and sealing ring, breather cover gasket, thermostat o-ring...)

Am I the only one that lays on the garage floor to daydream while looking at the engine in our cars?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Well, I think silver on the main tin would look good and lighten up the engine bay (black is correct but wth).
Get some POR in black and paint over the rusted tins to preserve what you have and to look better. I've painted engine blocks with POR15 shiny black and it lasted for years. Stuff goes on very smooth/even with a brush. Fan looks good as is.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Am I the only one that lays on the garage floor to daydream while looking at the engine in our cars?
Most of us don't have formal entryway tile in our garage either.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Most of us don't have formal entryway tile in our garage either.
ha!

OK, I was told that if I remove the CIS and runners as one unit, then the fan shroud, etc. that I should be able to get those tins out. Cool!

Will also remove the oil cooler on the engine to replace O-rings, again, as a preventive measure. Also will check for this and follow the recommendation in the bulletin:

Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Saw that thread on the other site...think he JB Welded that casting 'divit'.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Reiver
Saw that thread on the other site...think he JB Welded that casting 'divit'.
Same here, came across that thread and thought... humm.. engine out... no signs of leaks from the cooler, but what the heck, a few bucks on o-rings, some JB-Weld and some peace of mind that it was done.

Quick Reply: Engine cosmetics and a few questions