Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My new 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb My new 911

Hello, I just purchased a 1981 911 SC. It is fantastic!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

very nice car and welcome.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Very nice! Welcome and enjoy your car.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:32 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Beautiful SC and Welcome

Another future member of the 911SCWDP
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

Thanks guys, it's my first Porsche...although I've wanted one forever.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
rockryno
Intermediate

Thinking about some winter mods:

headlights - would like to do HIDs with projector lenses. I see a bunch of the H4 conversions, but no projectors. are any available except for the fake ebay ones?

wheels - Ill keep the 16s for the winter, but would like something sleeker for the summer, maybe 17 18 or 19" wheels off a newer Porsche. I know i need the 130mm bolt pattern, but Im wondering what widths I can run front and rear, and what offsets are best? With and without spacers.

lowering - I dont know if this has been lowered or not, but it sits pretty tall. how do I lower, and can I do it myself?

Let me know what you guys think!

Ryan
Old 12-09-2012, 12:54 AM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by rockryno

headlights - would like to do HIDs with projector lenses. I see a bunch of the H4 conversions, but no projectors. are any available except for the fake ebay ones?

wheels - Ill keep the 16s for the winter, but would like something sleeker for the summer, maybe 17 18 or 19" wheels off a newer Porsche. I know i need the 130mm bolt pattern, but Im wondering what widths I can run front and rear, and what offsets are best? With and without spacers.

lowering - I dont know if this has been lowered or not, but it sits pretty tall. how do I lower, and can I do it myself?

Ryan
Nice car, IMHO, you will screw the car up with the later wheels, it will look like crap. If you wanted a later look, you should have bought one, as they tend to cost less than a nice SC just like your Fuchs are worth more than the later rims. Keep them for summer & buy some phone dials or cookie cutters for winter, or go with some other period correct wheels. As to lowering, the proper way to is to re-index the torsion bars.SCs are great cars, here is my 78
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by rockryno

Ryan
I think 18's will fit but they never look good on our cars, 19's well I don't know anyone who's actually tried.

17's will fit, I've seen guys go as big as 255's out back with a rolled fender lip, which is a lot of tire for an SC bodied car. In terms of the actual wheels you can go BBS, Fikse, Kinesis all make proper offset wheels, but they are pricey even used... you can get faux fuchs in 17" that are a bit cheaper, or if you search long enough you will find some nice Kinesis or Fikse or BBS rims with the proper offset come up for your car for a bit cheaper.

In 89 Porsche switched the rims to a differenct offset when they added ABS to the cars, those turbo twist and cup rims so yes bolt pattern wise later model 911 rims will fit, but you will need to run fairly big spacers someone correct me if I'm wrong but something like 35mm fronts 50mm rears?

As for HID's I've seen some DIY ones on Pelican that turned out nicely, honestly my H4's are bright enough where I don't really care to go HID or not... if you go on pelican parts they are a couple tech articles on the forum describing the process of HID conversion, its not that simple

Finally ride height, I probably wouldn't mess with this until you decided what wheel and tires package you're gonna run for the summer, your ride height looks nice in the photos. It's easy enough to adjust though, I suggest picking up a copy of 101 projects for your porsche 911, it is covered in there, or just search the forums the topic has been covered more than once
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Brilliant!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Great looking car. Congrats. I bought my SC in April and plan to keep it as close to original as possible. I found that the more original our cars are...the more desirable they are....I was a 996 owner prior to my 911 and just the opposite was true with that car.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice car, welcome!

Another vote saying 18's and 19's will look like hell on your car, and not having the proper dish makes them that much worse. Plenty of info posted on lowering, try a search-after doing that, you'll need to do a 4 wheel alignment.

The pics I've seen of 911's with projector headlights don't look good. Kind of like looking at a pretty girl, but who is cross-eyed. IMO, the best "correct" lighting package for a 911 is the H1-keep your eyes peeled for them coming up for sale. Very expensive, but worth it, IMO.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

awesome! ill do some searching for the h1 conversion, and look for some 17s maybe. Thanks guys, glad I joined up!
Old 12-09-2012, 01:32 PM
rockryno
Intermediate

oh, is it advisable to scrap the AC system? Mine doesnt work (dont know what the problem is) and I never use AC anyway. Can i just take the whole system out and save some weight at the same time?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great looking SC. Personally I would not add anything over 17's. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks nice, I want one too.

Quick Reply: My new 911