Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 Owner, requiring advice on performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 Meister, what ever happened to the new performance heads you were designing for the air cooled engines to improve hp over the factory heads, Was that just for the 993?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SPDADCT
9 Meister, what ever happened to the new performance heads you were designing for the air cooled engines to improve hp over the factory heads, Was that just for the 993?

Great question.
As you rightly conject, the 993 & 964 heads were the first on the development list and have been anufactured and sold since 2006 and used on all our high hp race engine projects as well as lots of road cars. The intention was always to further develop the 3.6 head and also to introduce 911 & 930 versions for the 2.7 through 3.3 litre engines. Unfortunately whilst this process has taken a lot longer than expected (for many reasons) the good news is that we currently have a 3.3 litre turbo engine in the shop that is having fitted a set of prototype heads with a 2 bolt intake flange. It will be a while before we get results but if all goes well we should be launching production versions of the heads in spring 2013.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:26 PM
rachnath
Track Day

Originally Posted by GTgears
The other thing to consider is that in Australia there are much much fewer of these cars than either in the States or the UK. In my experience most everything Porsche costs more there because of it. While we might find a decent 3.6l engine of known history here for $6k I suspect it is likely closer to $10k Aussie just to get the engine in the first place. I might be wrong though...
Unfortunately, you are correct. However, I believe your theory as to why the motor will cost more is probably wrong. Yes, there are less 911 vehicles, however I put the premium pricing we pay here down to gouging.

For example, a new 2012 911 Carerra here is close to A$230-240K on the road. In the US it's less than 100k. The manufacture / distributors try to pass the blame on the governments taxes and so forth.

Not that long ago they used to also blame the value of the A$, however now that the A$ is greater and has been greater than the US$ for close to 3 years, they do not raise this point any longer.

Even when you do the basic maths of the taxes, delivery, even adding a RH drive factor, it clearly show most of the Euro manufactures / distributors here in Aust are absolutely gouging us, and gouging big time.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 PM
rachnath
Track Day

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Great question.
As you rightly conject, the 993 & 964 heads were the first on the development list and have been anufactured and sold since 2006 and used on all our high hp race engine projects as well as lots of road cars. The intention was always to further develop the 3.6 head and also to introduce 911 & 930 versions for the 2.7 through 3.3 litre engines. Unfortunately whilst this process has taken a lot longer than expected (for many reasons) the good news is that we currently have a 3.3 litre turbo engine in the shop that is having fitted a set of prototype heads with a 2 bolt intake flange. It will be a while before we get results but if all goes well we should be launching production versions of the heads in spring 2013.
Wow, that's news to me. More details please, like approximate power increase?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rachnath
Unfortunately, you are correct. However, I believe your theory as to why the motor will cost more is probably wrong. Yes, there are less 911 vehicles, however I put the premium pricing we pay here down to gouging.

For example, a new 2012 911 Carerra here is close to A$230-240K on the road. In the US it's less than 100k. The manufacture / distributors try to pass the blame on the governments taxes and so forth.

Not that long ago they used to also blame the value of the A$, however now that the A$ is greater and has been greater than the US$ for close to 3 years, they do not raise this point any longer.

Even when you do the basic maths of the taxes, delivery, even adding a RH drive factor, it clearly show most of the Euro manufactures / distributors here in Aust are absolutely gouging us, and gouging big time.
I don't disagree with that regarding the newer ones. However, we are talking about an engine from a 20+ year old car. If it was just the gouging, after 20 years, depreciation would still take its toll. When you go back to the 964 and look for parts, good old supply and demand comes into play. That's why you find so many Aussies shopping for used parts on the bird board. It is cheaper to buy random trim and other replacements for worn out items used here plus the carriage back to Australia than it is to buy them from an Aussie wrecker in many instances.

It might even be worthwhile to shop for an engine here. While carriage overseas is probably $1000+ if the engine is $2500 cheaper, it is still a better deal. The risk then becomes that there is no recourse if it was not as advertised because you can't just drive back to the guy with the engine in the back of your ute and demand that he take it back...
Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 AM
rachnath
Track Day

Originally Posted by GTgears
I don't disagree with that regarding the newer ones. However, we are talking about an engine from a 20+ year old car. If it was just the gouging, after 20 years, depreciation would still take its toll. When you go back to the 964 and look for parts, good old supply and demand comes into play. That's why you find so many Aussies shopping for used parts on the bird board. It is cheaper to buy random trim and other replacements for worn out items used here plus the carriage back to Australia than it is to buy them from an Aussie wrecker in many instances.

It might even be worthwhile to shop for an engine here. While carriage overseas is probably $1000+ if the engine is $2500 cheaper, it is still a better deal. The risk then becomes that there is no recourse if it was not as advertised because you can't just drive back to the guy with the engine in the back of your ute and demand that he take it back...
Of course you are 100% correct. I guess I went off the rails there a bit. The thing is I started thinking about the gouging on new cars (and getting angry at the same time), that I lost focus on what I was on about. Cheers.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 AM
rachnath
Track Day

Dear all,

thank you for the advise and input. I have recently just fitted the Steve Wong chip to my otherwise standard 89 Carrera 3.2.

It is fantastic, it's got more grunt and better throttle response. The car feels more alive on the throttle, and I would recommend it to any owner wanting a revitalised car.

I am currently lighting the car in a discrete way for added agility.

Again, thanks all for your input, and naturally thanks to SW for the advice and the chip.

Happy customer. Cheers.

Quick Reply: 3.2 Owner, requiring advice on performance