3,2 dilema for a 911 lover!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Vane
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Raphael,

Perhaps you should first think what kind of car you want?
An older Porsche, like the 3.2 is quite "mechanical", the suspension can feel stiff, the heater / AC are
a bit marginal, it's noisy, the 915 transmission need some amount of concentration when you shift.
And the brakes, great, but you have to control the braking force.

When you go from your Cayenne to a 3.2, the difference is quite big. One problem? with us is that we
want things to be easy and this has changed Porsche also a lot during years.
When I throttle my 3.2, there is no need for a stereo system, there is at least to my ears, enough music
coming from the back, when I negotiate thru a tight corner, I need to carefully balance between braking,
throttle and steering. What I say is that you are in "total" command of the car.
Now you take a new car with electronic driving aid, all these marvelous systems, when you do an error
in your driving, the "system" takes over and correct it. You might not even notice it.
I'm not saying there is something wrong with that, it's just something you should think carefully when you
choose your Porsche.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
frenchlover
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
A- There is nothing wrong with a properly tuned 915 trans. Many of the best 911's in the world have them.

B- 993's are pretty damned awesome too.

I completely agree with you! If the 915 is well built and prepared, it is a great gearbox.

993 is on the plan next year...my goal is to get a 993 S.
As I stated quickly, I am building a collection of 911. I used to own several sport cars from modern to old; and I now want to do this...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM
frenchlover
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vane
Raphael,

Perhaps you should first think what kind of car you want?
An older Porsche, like the 3.2 is quite "mechanical", the suspension can feel stiff, the heater / AC are
a bit marginal, it's noisy, the 915 transmission need some amount of concentration when you shift.
And the brakes, great, but you have to control the braking force.

When you go from your Cayenne to a 3.2, the difference is quite big. One problem? with us is that we
want things to be easy and this has changed Porsche also a lot during years.
When I throttle my 3.2, there is no need for a stereo system, there is at least to my ears, enough music
coming from the back, when I negotiate thru a tight corner, I need to carefully balance between braking,
throttle and steering. What I say is that you are in "total" command of the car.
Now you take a new car with electronic driving aid, all these marvelous systems, when you do an error
in your driving, the "system" takes over and correct it. You might not even notice it.
I'm not saying there is something wrong with that, it's just something you should think carefully when you
choose your Porsche.
I like a lot your answer!!
This is what I am looking for in a car. For instance, I am fed up using a car that I need to put at very high speed to feel! I need sensations and authenticity.
I have the CTT and my business car to drive daily! I have been driving several old sport cars without assistance...you need to learn but so so rewarding once you handle it

Anyway, I am not looking to have only one so I believe this 911 3.2 is the right choice
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your style... I couldn't decide either so i got one of each. Probably should have thought about a house or a pension but neither of those are much fun. I love them all..for high levels of exhilaration and fun i'd drive my '76 911, if i wanted to be more comfortable (until i went PSS10's) id go with the 993.. If i want the best compromise between old and new, id go with 964. You got any pictures of the 3.2 yet?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM
frenchlover
Intermediate

I am a bit upset not to have th pictures yet...As soon as I get them you will be posted

My style is simple. I burn for motoring, oil, leather, tyres' gum....

When I see my associates accumulating real estate...it is cool, but does not make them wake up in the middle of the night to have fun, and feel alive. Of course they all have sweet cars but they are not into that.
I would rather have 1 nice house with 5 911, than 5 houses and 1 S class...everyone got its own passion I guess.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM
frenchlover
Intermediate

Oh, I already contacted an exhaust builder in france... I have to call him tomorrow.
Also, I ordered this afternoon the GO pro and few little things... I am getting more and more excited
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 PM
JLJ11
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha..love the enthusiasm.. just dont buy the first car you see.. and dont forget to test drive the 964 too.. probably on balance my favourite.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM
LjH
Track Day

I considered a 964 before buying my 86 3.2 cab several years ago. In my opinion the 3.2 with the 915 is more "Porsche" than the 964. I have enjoyed the 3.2 very much and never looked back. My only regret is 86 was the first year for the power top, I wish I had an 85
Attached Images  
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM
frenchlover
Intermediate

Name:  p10103461339087199.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  112.6 KB

HELLO, I will have pictures tonight at last.
I know well the 3.2 proposed and it is harder and harder to get nice models so I am doing a safe bet.

On the picture attached, I know the wheel is a prototipo Momo...but where do you get the porsche center?

also do you know any provider of gearbox stick...I would like to change to porsche one to something like on this picture (but all aluminium/leather).
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Hey !

Where's the rest of the car ???
Raphael,you are missing some parts

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Chockymonster
2nd Gear

Raphael,

You can pick up the Porsche centres for the momo wheel on ebay, it's where I got mine from.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM
frenchlover
Intermediate

I found the right wheel :
http://www.moto-lita.co.uk/

and for the seats, i am thinking about the 2.7 rs buckets...but I am not sure the lateral holding capacity of those seats are that good. I am quite athletic and tall (for EU standards...I know you guys in america have a tendancy to be taller and more body built than on our side on the world :P ).
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Are you saying we drink MORE beer
I have Sparco Evo's in my car and they are very comfortable for the times i drive my car on the road !

You have to sit in many different models to find what is comfortable for you ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 AM
frenchlover
Intermediate

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  130.3 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  image3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  153.5 KB

Here are the pictures.

what you think? I will get more this morning (engine/chassis wise)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 AM
frenchlover
Intermediate

The car need some paint details (some bubbles at the back and one on the joints on the front of the car). The chassis and engines are great, no corrosion etc.

I am thinking about (as I will have it repainted) backdating it. Paul Stephen proposes great kits and my guys can mount it easily and repaint it. I would keep this grey as I like it...but would put something like that:
Name:  67-s-at-4th-palce.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  37.5 KB

Or like an 73 RS. I am not sure about all that, but I kind of like the look of it...and as some esthetic modifications will be made....why not.

Also full Scart racing exhaust will be installed + moto lita steering wheel + seats + a new gear shift (the stick...I want something different than the original).

Anyway I am getting well too excited...my gf, is pretty pissed....

Quick Reply: 3,2 dilema for a 911 lover!