Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I have 2 hours to pull the trigger on this Carrera auction

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM
veduta
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I have 2 hours to pull the trigger on this Carrera auction

Sorry for the multiple posts recently. Would anyone be willing to give me advice or opinion on this vehicle. I have exchanged many e-mails with the owner and I could probably plop down a bid of $11K before the auction ends and win the car. I figure how can you go wrong if he is willing to allow the PPI after you win the auction and can cancel the sale if it turn up anything that I am uncomfortable with? I am indeed a newbie and could use any and all advice/counsel anyone is willing to share. I hope this link works.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ht_1176wt_1166
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you asked and were given recommendations for shops for a PPI, why have you not gotten one yet?

No bids? Let it go and after auction ends get a PPI so you can make an informed decision.

Remember this is not the only car for sale, find and buy a good one if you miss this one.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM
wolds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm a fairly new owner (bought an 83 911SC last month), but I'll thow my 2C in. First, how far do you live from the seller? If you decide to buy and you get back a positive PPI from a reliable repair shop are you going to the sellers house to PU or are you having it shipped if you live too far away? Consider cost of shipping and who the shipper will be. You might want to contact the seller after the biddings over and work out a sale between the two of you and take ebay out of the mix. I found mine on Craigs List which worked out well for the seller and me. BTW, I found quite a few of them on that source. As for the car what you are willing to pay is your decision. There are plenty of good sources online to determine average value such as Haggerty of KBB. I can tell you from my brief experience with my car that you can drop a couple $G's on the car pretty quick. Are you planning on doing your own work or are you going to rely on a shop to do your work? Labor costs can escallate pretty quick. Since you are not going to test drive the car before purchase you are really at the mercy of the shop that is doing the inspection for a clear and complete analysis of the car. There are lots of other things to consider and I'm sure that others will chime in. I can tell you though if you have not driven one before it will put a big smile on your face. I love mine and only regret not making the decision to buy one years ago. Warren
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM
veduta
Instructor

Thanks Wolds, I have indeed driven 911's before which is exactly why I have put so much energy into finding one. I haven't decided yet on shipping Vs. pick up, but I'm leaning toward pick up.
Bob, the problem with doing the PPI before the auction ends in most cases is that you run the risk of paying for it and still losing the auction if it goes past your maximum. I am confined to a budget on the purchase price for sure. The fact that the seller would allow the PPI to be conducted after the close of auction is a big advantage for me. Would still welcome any advice anyone cares to share. Thanks all.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

unless the seller has some sort of track record on RL or pelican, i wouldn't buy it unless it has a PPI. - also whats suspect to me and may be a reason for lack of bidding is the sellers feedback - it shows 199 positives but when you look at his feedback page, they only show i auction for a $12 pair of jeans

there are a few issues with most 911 engines like the 911sc having bad headstuds/tranny syncro issues - the early 84-84 carrera's had bad valve guides causing major oil consumption/smoking - this engine may or may not have had a valve job but these are things you just won't know unless you get it checked out - also lots of texas cars are subject to floods and this can be an issue as well that doesn't show in photos

**get the sellers phone number or contact info and call him or email him - tell him you are seriously interested in the car and want to buy it but need to get a PPI - perhaps the seller will accomodate you.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
veduta
Instructor

Thanks Groove. Yes there is no way the sale is finalized without the PPI. The seller is even willing to let me have the PPI done after the auction ends if I am the winning bidder (with the option to cancel if anything is uncovered). I was really just wondering if any of the Rennlist Eagle eyes pick up anything that would suggest I not even spend the $500 for the PPI? Also, even a good PPI is no guarantee that the car is sound.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

make sure you keep all your correspondence with the seller because a winning bid is considered a purchase unless of course you have it documented that the seller will allow you to get out of the deal after your PPI is performed.

**because of the valve guide issue's with the 84-85's, i would strongly recommend having a leak down test performed during the PPI along with compression test.

even with the leakdown test, the PPI shouldn't cost more than $300.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

i reviewed the photos quickly and see a few issues some noted on the description - the rear speaker tray is pretty warped and also the engine compartment sound deadening is laying on the engine - when you get the PPI done and if you buy the car, have them try and support the sound deadening if possible before you or anyone else drives it away.

the dash seems to be unwarped and uncracked but photo isn't the greatest.

that dent on the front fender is a bummer and i would guess it can be pulled out and re-painted however it is in your best interest for resale and peace of mind that you get an excellent painter to do the job so the paint matches as close as possible - DO NOT cut corners on this repair or it will come back to bite you. if funds are limited just wait until you have the coin to do it right - i'm guessing that repair is going to be $2000 to be done right by expert.

another idea is to remove that ugly whale tail, and when they repair the fender have them patch the holes in the rear decklid and paint the lid too. sell the whale tail and recoupe that $$ and should be a break even on the decklid repaint - but again this is my opinion because i like a more stock look.

good luck and chime in when you get the PPI done
Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM
veduta
Instructor

Thanks Groove, I too had noticed those issues and the seller points them out as well in the text. I am on your side of the whale tail issue and that is probably a good idea when the fender repaint occurs. I just thought that $11K and if the PPI checked out, it was a very good deal. Not sure if I will go ahead with this purchase today or not, still debating in the time I have left. If the sale ends, I would probably be able to continue a dialogue with the owner still and move forward if I choose. Thanks to all for the patience and continued advice. It's tough to make that final plunge when there is a lack of disposable income.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:00 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

My 2 cents worth but I would not buy a 30 year old car without seeing it.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way, would I transact (something so frikin' important) in the requested way,..bucket of worms once the PPI reveals something "bad",..without any contract/agreement inplace, I wouldn't touch it.

I hate to even hear the word "auction" associated with a 911..............

As many have stated ....patience is one of pieces of hitting that homerun.

Good luck,

Doyle

Quick Reply: I have 2 hours to pull the trigger on this Carrera auction