Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:19 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs down More news on E15

U.S. court upholds higher blend of ethanol in gasoline

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...ssNews&rpc=408

Engine manufacturers, for example, "provided almost no support for their assertion that E15 'may' damage the engines they have sold, subjecting them to liability," wrote Chief Judge David Sentelle.

Similarly, he wrote, the refiners said they would face additional expenses for handling E15 without showing there was no other way for them to meet U.S. targets for biofuel use. And foodmakers' desire for low corn prices has no footing in a statute about cars, he wrote.

Judge David Tatel joined Sentelle in the majority. He suggested the foodmakers' argument should be heard but noted prior rulings that precluded it. Judge Brett Kavanaugh dissented and argued EPA was wrong in approving E15.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:52 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats your problem with it?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:53 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Less fuel economy, plays havoc on the rubber fuel line, can damage CIS components, pushes up the price of feed..
Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Food....drive up the price, you cannot grow enough corn(one crop seasons) lousy substitute...lower effectiveness so you burn more fuel....does not atomize well in FI sysytems yada,yada,yada....and even the Gorical has recanted and said it is a stupid idea.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mfyoung1086
Our manuals specifically state to not use more than 10% and to even discontinue use of that if our cars run poorly. While I don't want to be an alarmist, it does concern me.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:14 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Evidence to any of these claims? Just some quick math 5% extra ethanol will result in 1.4% decrease in fuel economy thats .35 mpg if you average 25 mpg

also ethanol's octane rating is high at 110 (thats good for p-cars), and I don't think an extra 5% will damage CIS equipped cars, or the rubbers at any significantly higher rate

Also I'm sorry we pay farmers not to grow corn, so its not like we're at peak production, atomize well in FI? Yeah I've run E85 on Bosch injectors for years on NG900 Saabs it atomizes just fine

Also reiver they've been dumping 15% ethanol in AZ gas for like years now ever read most of the pumps? At least in PHX they have...

I'm not scared by E15, but I've run E85 for years now

idk it doesn't bother me, and I've never seen convincing research supporting that 5% more ethanol will cause serious problems, I don't buy the hype that ethanol is the fuel of the future, its not, but for turbos its awesome performance wise

just my .02 cents
Old 08-19-2012, 05:51 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Where and what stations in Phoenix are selling E15?
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 AM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Less fuel economy, plays havoc on the rubber fuel line, can damage CIS components, pushes up the price of feed..
Yep, mine went yesterday
Old 08-20-2012, 01:04 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by KNS
Where and what stations in Phoenix are selling E15?
oops my bad typo meant 10%
Old 08-23-2012, 12:20 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

From a recent post on Pelican

This is a copy of an email circulated by Summit Racing.

Put the Brakes on Harmful E15 Gasoline!

Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

Once again, Summit Racing Equipment is reaching out to automotive enthusiasts to raise awareness about an issue that could directly affect your hobby.

Recently, the U.S. Court of Appeals dismissed a lawsuit which challenged the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) authority to permit 15% ethanol (E15 content in gasoline for 2001 and newer model year cars and light trucks). Along with SEMA and its member companies, we oppose the use of E15 based on scientific evidence that it causes corrosion on incompatible parts—specifically aftermarket parts designed for performance vehicles like yours.

To protect your hobby, SEMA is seeking the passage of congressional legislation (H.R. 3199), which would prevent the EPA from permitting E15 sales until the National Academies has conducted a study on how E15 may impact gas-powered vehicles. With little time to address the bill before the fall elections, it's important that lawmakers hear from you. Without your help, E15 fuel may soon appear at a gas station near you!

We Urge You to Contact Your Members of Congress to Request Their Support for H.R. 3199…

Here are a Few Talking Points:
Ethanol increases water formation that can then create formic acid and corrode metals, plastics, and rubber. Older cars and certain high performance specialty parts are not constructed with corrosion-resistant materials or able to tolerate the higher temperatures at which E15 may burn.

The EPA has acknowledged the dangers and made it "illegal" to put E15 in pre-2001 vehicles. However, the EPA is willing to risk destruction of the vehicle/parts by relying solely on a gas pump label cautioning motorists not to misfuel their older vehicles. The EPA estimates that there are 74 million such vehicles in harm's way.

Many auto enthusiasts have complained for years about damage caused by E10, which is now in over 90% of gas sold in the U.S. For example, corrosion has time to damage the engine, fuel line, fuel tank, and exhaust systems when classic cars are infrequently driven. E15 increases the risk of corrosion by 50%.

The EPA permitted the sale of E15 before there was conclusive information with respect to materials compatibility, tailpipe emissions and fuel efficiency.

H.R. 3199 would stop the sale of E15 until the National Academies has conducted a study on how gasoline blended with 15-20% ethanol may impact gas-powered vehicles.

Contact your members of Congress immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support of HR 3199.

To identify your federal Representative and Senators in the U.S. Congress, click here.

Please e-mail a copy of your e-mail to Stuart Gosswein stuartg@sema.org

Quick Reply: More news on E15