Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1986 Carrera 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 AM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 Carrera 3.2

I'm looking for a older air-cooled car that I can potentially use as a daily driver down the road. I recently saw one at a well respected dealer that I liked. it is a 1986 with 110K miles. Everything works and the car has been driven regularly, but no major mechanical work (top end, clutch) has been done as far as I can tell. They are asking $22K. Is this a fair price? What significant, typical expenses might I be looking at in the next 20-30K miles.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Generally, 22K is on the higher end of things. However, it may be fully-justified depending on the condition of the car. Without knowing much, I would say at 110K miles, I would expect a slightly lower price for a solid driver. Problem is, there is just too many variables to say on limited information. There are 100K mile cars out there that are in outstanding condition and then there are some that are more tired…

As far as what you can expect to need to do:

1) At that mileage, if all the suspension bushings are still originals, they will be due. I would also consider the shocks, ball joints and tie-rod ends.

2) For a Carrera, the engine compartment fuel lines are an item I would definitely address. Depending on how you do it, it can be well over $500, but there are options…

3) This is also the mileage where you would want to change the flexible brake hoses (again, assuming they are originals). The master cylinder may also need changing at some point in the not-too distant future.

4) The engines are very solid, but there are two bugaboos that can require significant work: Broken head studs and worn valve guides. The studs can easily be checked as part of a PPI (with the added cost of a valve cover gasket set). Excessively work valve guides are a little harder to evaluate with precision. However, there are some tests, such as looking for puffs of blue smoke in high vacuum conditions (see Peter Zimmerman’s sticky on PPIs at the top of this thread for that, and much more on good PPIs). Not all cars will need these items addressed at 110K, but some will. The broken head studs are obvious, the valve guides a little more discretionary. ALL 911s of that vintage will have some valve guide wear at that mileage, the question is how much? There is a range that is OK, but you progressively get to the point where it moves from being a bit of a nuisance (the odd puff of blue smoke) to a real issue (very high oil consumption, loose valve hammering themselves and the valve seats to death etc.)

How I would approach this car is:

1) Do a self-evaluation using information from Peter’s thread as a guide (he also has a great book that you may want… and there are some others too). If the car looks very good to you, then proceed to the next step.

2) Have a PPI done by a reputable, 911-savvy shop. You can get recommendations for area by posting here. Two other considerations are that YOU must pay for the PPI, so that it is done for YOU in your interests and also, the shop should not be the one that regularly services the car.

3) At the same time, post as many detailed photos of the car that you can here and ask everyone for their feedback. You would be amazed at the things that people will notice – all things that will inform your purchase.

Many people will negotiate a price contingent on a good PPI, and then re-negotiate if the PPI finds significant issues (or walk away if you are no longer interested based on those issues).

Good Luck! They are great cars, but old cars, so there is a lot to think about.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the very detailed reply. Here's a link to the car in question:

http://www.truspeedmotorcars.com/car...s.php?cid=2098
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks very nice, or at least very clean, from the pics. $22k sounds high to me too unless it's just in absolute perfect shape. For comparison, I just paid $17k for an '86 and it's in excellent condition with 96k miles and some upgrades already done for me: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...era-3-2-a.html
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

That car looks clean and well-cared for from the pics. It is pretty close to stock... all I can see is an aftermarket stereo and the Fuchs with polished finish, which was not the standard for 1986s. The engine looks perfectly stock too, with the correct oil filter. Interior appears in good shape for 110K miles, but it is not perfect either. The paint presents well. You will want to know if it is original or not... A repaint is not necessarily a bad thing, but you must evaluate the quality of the job.

Things to definitely scrutinize inclulde the underside, kidney bowls and battery area. All points where there may be corrosion.

If you could negotiate a couple or so K off the purchase price, it may be a decent deal. Unmolested cars are the nicest. No matter what, do a good PPI as there are MANY issues that may exist under the skin on old cars.

Nice color combo IMO.

I would also suggest search on here and Pelican for info on that dealer. I can't recall having heard anything bad, but you will want to check...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Truspeed typically sells good cars, so it may all be sound. They are usually pretty good about making sure it meets your expectations when you drive it away. That, in itself, could be worth some $.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:13 AM
nettles503
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered that car before buying another '86 Carrera for $18.5K. It seems like a well-cared for car. I spoke with a salesperson about it and it hasn't had any major engine or suspension work. I felt $22K was just too much, especially considering the costs of shipping or driving it up to Oregon. It would be even more to get it to New York.

If you do want to follow through on a purchase, I was recommended to take it to Hergesheimer for a PPI. http://www.hergesheimer.com/

Quick Reply: 1986 Carrera 3.2