Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tuning and tinkering on my '75

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iceman- Thanks, I was wondering about that.... I'd rather not put a bung into this exhaust system, as it is on it's last legs anyway.

mf- You have no idea how tempted I was to mount that wheel and fire it up- my fingers are killing me...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:21 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

I'm going to have my wheels powder coated, and I thought I'd get the fan shroud and fan done at the same time to save a little money on those- is there much involved with pulling out the fan? I did see a diagram that showed a bearing in the fan- that can't be right...is it?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Not to my knowledge, just shims

PP has a write up about changing your belts, I think it has the exploded view

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...1_fan_belt.htm
Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Also you should do the redneck polish, I've done it before, works awesome!

(I actually found out about it from Hot Rod magazine so it can't be too dangerous right? lol)
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by MillenniumFalcon
I'm going to have my wheels powder coated, and I thought I'd get the fan shroud and fan done at the same time to save a little money on those- is there much involved with pulling out the fan? I did see a diagram that showed a bearing in the fan- that can't be right...is it?
It all depends. If it is corroded on to the alternator, you can expect some time and/or frustration to finesse it off. Be sure and snap a pic of the wires on the back of the alternator so you get them back on correctly. Be carefuly and don't force anything. You will probably need to sand the coating off the end of the fan blades to avoid interference.

I'd look at having the alternator rebuilt or replaced at that time. Murphy's law...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Ed: Thanks for the advice- I'm going to be very careful with the whole assembly, and was wondering about fan/housing clearance issues after powder coating the blades. I may get the alternator rebuilt. I have also heard of rebuilders using a substandard internal regulator on them, so I'm going to do my reasearch on that before handing it over to anyone.

I managed to find a thread here dealing with alternator removal, and he had a few good pics. My iPhone has saved me plenty of times- I photograph everything before and during disassembly.

Mf: I don't know wny, but I can see the whole redneck thing ending up with a trip to the hospital!

Good news- the car goes in for the suspension pan and battery support replacement this Friday. Once I get her back, its time for: Wheels, tires, suspension, lowering, alignment, brakes, CIS removal for replacement of injectors, holders, o-ring and rubber intake boots. Then mixture adjustment!

I'd also like to strip and re-paint the fan shroud while the CIS is out, but I'm concerned about finding a close match for the "S" green color with rattle cans... anyone find a close match for the green?
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 AM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Car goes in tomorrow for suspension pan replacement... I'm going to stick around after they drop the suspension so I can install new rubber A-Arm bushings. [Edit} dish soap worked the best for the rubber bushings..

Last edited by MillenniumFalcon; 08-04-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:01 AM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Time for a new gas tank...!

I found this old repair after pulling it out, and I have no interest in cleaning out this old tank with a fiberglass fix on it.

Suspension was dropped and they handed it to me to replace the front A-arm bushings.. all went well until I got to the last one, and one rear control arm mount distorted after I heated it to remove the old bushing. Attempts to make it round again only worsened matters, until finally it gave up the ghost. Trying to locate a another one.

The pan replacement is going well, and I will post pictures of that soon.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tuning and tinkering on my '75