Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

245/45-16's? Oh no!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:05 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by blockhed
R888's are amwesome but they do not like cold weather. You can also get them grooved and make them into more rain friendly too. I had the on my 996TT (245/315) and they lasted me 10k miles a set and that car was a pig.
DOT R compound tires like the R888 are great if you frequently track the car but are a waste of money on a pure street car. They do not out-grip the RE-11/A unless they are up to temperature, which usually only occurs on the racetrack.

The RE-11/As will not only come up to temperature much more quickly and likely out-grip the R888 during "spirited" street driving, but they are excellent in the wet and will last longer. Besides, the R888s usually only last 12-15 track heat cycles before the "fall off a cliff" and run out of grip, ask anyone who has had them!

The RE-11 and its "extreme summer" competitors like the Dunlop Direzza ZII, Yokohama AD08, et al are fantastic tires for the money. They will not last as long as "normal" street tires but certainly more than R-comps, and they will work well in the wet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....11V2&tab=Sizes

The RE-11 is currently available in 245/45-16s. I don't recommend installing these on 8" wide wheels as they will squirm and your extra tread width is negated. I have tried this and you can feel it on the street and especially on track. Run 225s on 8" wheels and 245s on 9" wheels.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:37 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
DOT R compound tires like the R888 are great if you frequently track the car but are a waste of money on a pure street car. They do not out-grip the RE-11/A unless they are up to temperature, which usually only occurs on the racetrack.

The RE-11/As will not only come up to temperature much more quickly and likely out-grip the R888 during "spirited" street driving, but they are excellent in the wet and will last longer. Besides, the R888s usually only last 12-15 track heat cycles before the "fall off a cliff" and run out of grip, ask anyone who has had them!

The RE-11 and its "extreme summer" competitors like the Dunlop Direzza ZII, Yokohama AD08, et al are fantastic tires for the money. They will not last as long as "normal" street tires but certainly more than R-comps, and they will work well in the wet.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....11V2&tab=Sizes

The RE-11 is currently available in 245/45-16s. I don't recommend installing these on 8" wide wheels as they will squirm and your extra tread width is negated. I have tried this and you can feel it on the street and especially on track. Run 225s on 8" wheels and 245s on 9" wheels.
I think that is good advice - I'd have gone with the RE-11's if I could have got them in New Zealand but 2 months into the R888's I'm still absolutely loving them .... find it hard to imagine the RE-11's having more grip ... I've never driven tyres with grip like the R888's and I've been driving enthusiastically for 32 years ... saying that it has been dry and around 20C most days. I'm sure I'm not getting them up to any heady temps on the road and if they go better still on the track ... then I can't wait to try it

Chris's very logical and sensible advice has tempted me to get some Re-11's shipped over form the US just to find out
Old 03-18-2014, 01:19 AM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I just picked up a pair of the RE11's for the rears of my '73 911 RSR clone -- had a lot of tire rubbing on the edge of the driver's rear at the last auto-x. The rubber works great on that car, but having chewed them up fairly thoroughly, I know I'll need a pair soon.

Now to deal with the cause of the rubbing...

Quick Reply: 245/45-16's? Oh no!