which viscosity?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 05:35 PM
AlwaysWong
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post which viscosity?

Hi,

I just picked up my 83 911SC last night, but it did not come with the owner's manual. Therefore, can somebody please tell me what type of oil it takes in 65 degree weather?

Also, how's about the tire pressure?

If somebody could help explain all the HVAC levers, that would be swell too. This is my first European car.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2003, 01:47 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
20W50. Preferrably kendall.

rjp
Old 03-17-2003, 02:53 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
20W50 will do. Of course in that weather, 15W50 would be better. But the 20W50 will do fine if you don't drive it like you stole it until it warms up. But that should be done regardless of oil or weather.

As far as the HVAC, here is how it goes if everything is in proper working order. You got 3 levers on the dashboard, 2 round ***** in the center console if the car has AC, and 2 levers between the seats. The 2 ***** in the center console are for AC alone. Turn them both clockwise for max AC. The levers between the seats are for heated air. They adjust how much hot air you want to come inside the car. All the way down for none, all the way up for max. Left is left, right is right. The 3 levers on the dash work this way. The top one is for how much fresh outside air you want coming in. The middle one is for where you want that fresh outside air. Left for floor, right for defrost outlets at the windshield and a mixture of both in between. The bottom one is for that heated air if you have the levers between the seats pulled up or anywhere above all the way down. That's why it is red. Everything red is for hot air management. That bottom lever on the dash to the left puts the hot air at the floor and right puts it at the defrost outlets at the windshield. Just like the middle lever. How do you use it all? For max ac, have the levers between the seats all the way down, the dash levers all the way left to close outside air and move the two ***** at the center console all the way clockwise. For max heat, pull the two levers between the seats all the way up, turn the ac speed **** off and adust the bottom red lever at the dash however you want. For ventilation in a cool day you could just turn it all off and just use the top lever at the dash to bring in cool outside air and use the middle lever to adjust where you want it. You could always mix in some hot air with the levers between the seats. Also, the dash says that for max defrost move upper levers left and lower lever right. Actually, I have found that all the levers right mixing in some cool air to the dash along with the levers in the seats all the way up, works better sometimes. If it sounds confusing, it really isn't. I actually love the system and am thankful I had it in a cross country trip I just took where the cops where everywhere. It helped control the boredom. I like the interactivity besides the ability for one passenger to have heat while the other one does not if he or she does not desire it. Which is good considering how hot that air coming in is.

As for tire pressure, 29 front and 34 rear cold.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:15 PM
emac
Racer

Ed
I have read many replies regarding the heating/cooling system on this site. I must say that you are in fact the first person that put it in words that anyone could understand, thanks for taking the time in helping many of us.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:59 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
except that on my '78SC there are 4 sliding controls in the dash , The top one working in opposite directions!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:17 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks Ernie, I am glad somebody appreciates the effort. And Bones, as far as the two top levers, you probably already know. The right one is for fan speed, the left one for how much fresh air you want coming in. Move the left all the way left and no fresh air comes in. I have the same kind in my 88. I never cared for the two levers and prefer the old style.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Bill W.
Advanced

I, too, appreciate the info Ed provided. I only wish I had asked this question (and Ed had replied) back in Nov. after I bought my car. I did find a detailed 4 or 5 page doc. that explained how the HVAC system did what it does but Ed's instructions are much better for operating the system.

Thanks again,
Bill W.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:52 AM
AlwaysWong
AutoX

I think I'll print a copy of that HVAC description and keep it in my glovebox. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

The weight of your oil has a little to do with your milage and condition of your car.High milage with some minor leaks, 20/50.Low milage or recently rebuilt with no leaks you could get by with 15/50.Just use a very good oil and change it regularly and you wil be fine.You can get owners manuals quite easily, it's handy to have.I have an 83SC Targa with 248,000 miles and it has been a fantastic car that has provided me with many miles of smiles, take care of it and it will take care of you.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:12 PM
Tom F
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've switched over to the Mobil 1 0W-40, "Euro blend" in my '79 SC. I think that my motor sounds better all the time, and it certainly sounds better on cold starts. I believe that this is the oil that the factory uses, these days.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Perkins
Advanced

I agree with Ernie, Ed's summary on how to use the vents is great.
Indeed, the best defrost by far is pushing all 3 dash levers to the right. Winshield clears right up!

Maurice
1980 SC Coupe
Old 04-08-2003, 03:16 AM
AlwaysWong
AutoX

Oooh! another defrosting question. Even though my rear window electric defrosting lines don't work, I'm curious about the switch. I just discovered that there are two different ON positions... pulling it out and twisting it to the right. Are these two different modes? If so, what are they?

And while I'm at it, any advice on fixing the rear defrost lines?

thanks again
Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Teutonics
Intermediate

Yes, two different modes on defrost switch: de-ice (hotter) and defrost (not as hot). I've never had to use either one, so I don't remember which is which.... I'm sure someone can chime in with the correct answer.

Quick Reply: which viscosity?