Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

86 991 Coupe Central Locking Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003 | 04:09 PM
robo19
AutoX

Question 86 991 Coupe Central Locking Problem

Looking for help on a 86 Coupe door locking problem. Drivers door lock came loose, I removed inside panel and found locking screw vibrated out. Removed handle and reassembled. Ready to reinstall everything and during testing discovered that the doors lock but unlock immediately. I cannot lock the car. This happens from both doors and the central locking button. I have Bentley's Manual but it does not detail the central locking ECU except in the wiring diagrams. Any Ideas? I could not find this part in any parts catalog. Any idea on price? Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Robo 19
Old 04-06-2003 | 04:09 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robo19, I just finished adding remote locking to my central locking. I'm assuming everything was fine until the lock assembly came loose. I believe from reading my bentley when deciding where to tie into the system that there are microswitches at the lock cylinder. I've never been in the doors so far except to change speakers (knock on wood). The lock/unlock commands to the central locking cpu are negative input. Perhaps your cpu is getting a constant ground input from the microswitch or worn insulation. Thus when you lock the door the cpu is then instantly responding to a neg/ground input. Good Luck, Mike
Old 04-07-2003 | 08:53 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is your door open during the "test"? I think the power door locks automatically unlock if you try to lock your door with the driver's door open to prevent locking your keys in the car (There IS a logic to this...I've been told). Try testing it (if you can) with the driver's door closed (I think you can have the passenger's door open).

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2003 | 10:02 AM
robo19
AutoX

Actually removing the door panels is not that hard once you do for the first time. It turns out the drivers door locking assembly was "hanging up" and not traveling all the way up or down. I used WD 40 it and manually operated it until I got full motion. I suspect the microswitch was not fully engaging , therefore the locks would not stayed locked. Installed the door panel and its working perfect.
Some tips while you have the panel off. Replace the vapor barier, with 3 mil sheet plastic, purchased at local hardware ($3.00) using double faced tape. Save the old piece and trace out the holes on the new one. Old barier was dryed out and in peices. Lube all mechanical devices.
Also, loctite the holding screw at the back of lock cylinder before reinstalling. There wasn't any there which is why I found the screw at the bottom of the door in the first place.
Also, found a perfect replacement for the door panel screws. Purchased from Lowes a M4.2-1.41x20mm screw with large washer heads. About a dollar a piece. Uses a 7mm socket. Looks better than the original screws.
Thanks for the help, I hope these tips help someone else.
Robo19

Quick Reply: 86 991 Coupe Central Locking Problem