Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Possible Project Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012 | 01:16 PM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Originally Posted by dpdan93
I'm only kidding, I'm in New England so a bit of a haul for you. A saab 99 turbo would be too cool! I hope so too, my brother and I have to pitch it to my dad, say your prayers...
ah its a 900, but I would backdate the headlights to the pre 85's

But hey if it runs strong (doesn't smoke) and seems pretty there I would pull the trigger, sure you could save up and prob get a nicer one... Thats what I did, didn't want a project 911 haha

And now I'm looking for a project car hahaha
Old 06-05-2012 | 04:01 PM
dpdan93
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by whalebird
it could be the best 3K you ever spent or the worst. Most of these derelict cars need everything and that is not cheap. Sight unseen, you can expect at least 20K just to get it moving safely. You say you dont see rust and thats a good thing I suppose, but it's there, or the front clip has been replaced, or the rear quarters have been smashed and replaced(hence the 930 parts). I would take your hard earned summer wages and place them in a growth fund so you can own a fine example of the 911 one day. remember it's sitting under that tree for a reason and that reason isn't cheap. The longer it sits there, the more reasons it should stay there arise. Offer $800 bucks (does it have forged alloy wheels?) and run if the old classic car guy doesn't accept. He's waiting for someone like you to come along and buy his mistake.
I agree with you completely. I was gonna offer about a grand and that's it. I would never spend more than that at this point in my life. It actually has fuchs which are in almost perfect condition.
Old 06-05-2012 | 11:48 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

If it's got a nice set of fuchs you almost can't get hurt at $3k.
Phil
Old 06-06-2012 | 05:03 PM
dpdan93
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
If it's got a nice set of fuchs you almost can't get hurt at $3k.
Phil
That's what I'm saying, they're SO clean. I might just buy the wheels if nothing else
Old 06-06-2012 | 05:32 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

This sounds like a good deal assuming your descriptions are accurate. 15" deep 6 Fuchs are worth 2 grand alone, depending on their condition. I bet dollars to donuts you will discover rust on a neglected car that's been outside for some time. Porsche did not galvanize the bodies until 1976 or so. Even if you just want to get the car roadworthy this could be an expensive project; several thousand dollars are not unrealistic. See if you can get the VIN from the chassis and the engine serial number which will tell you what you have. If you have stumbled on an S, you would have the opportunity to sell it a much more than $3k and then go buy something else. Even if it's a T or an E, you could easily part the car and come out way ahead. Don't get me wrong, I love projects and I hope this car can be made roadworthy and SAFE for you to learn from, work on and drive, I'm just throwing out some possible exit ideas. Disassembling a car certainly qualifies as a project from which you would learn a great deal and have fun.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Nick
Old 06-06-2012 | 05:46 PM
whalebird
Race Car

make sure they are REAL Fuchs, not "Fuch style" A simple feel of the thickness of the spokes can tell the story. Fuchs are forged from thin alloy, and a cast replica is thick. There may certainly be some usable parts, but they would be small like gauges (if they are the early style and still work), but engine and trans (early 901) should only be considered cores at this point and worth very little. An original S engine may bring a premium because of the large port heads, cams, higher CR pistons, and S engine number; but all that stuff will probably need to be refurbished if they are any good at all. Post up some pictures if you can, and perhaps a VIN number. Be very careful.
Old 06-06-2012 | 09:08 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TT Oversteer
Read this thread before you decide:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-of-heart.html
Hang on a minute....
Old 06-07-2012 | 01:53 PM
TT Oversteer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eharrison
Hang on a minute....
LOL!! Not saying I'm not impressed, Ed! Just more than most of us mere mortals are willing to tackle

Quick Reply: Possible Project Car