Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Frikin' cheap DME relays!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frikin' cheap DME relays!!!!!!!!!

As superfluous as the DME relay questions are, I couldn't help but post this.

I'm always one to keep a spare DME relay within the bonnet,..a disciple of this, BTW.

A few months ago, I had a situation occur whereby I would apply gas pedal and the car would die out (or at least, attempt so). Pulling over,..then reseating the DME relay,..all worked normally.

This, later, happened again,..same exact symptoms ( about 6 months down the road ),....I THEN changed out the DME relay with my spare and all was well,....several months have passed and this event has intruded my Carrera's life once again...,..a reseat will cure the issue.........what was so funny about this (and made me think that I should post this primitive experience),..was that it happened yesterday..on the way home from work,.....a complete dieing of the engine when gas pedal is applied.....out of the blue,..I then just kicked (wiht my heel) the damned thing (relay "area"),..from a driving position,...and all was well.

Luckily, upon arrival home today,...I see that welcomed PP's box at my door,..housing several parts, to include a REAL FRIKIN DME relay (no BS DME
relay,..of which I've been using....BTW)......will load this pup tonight ,..then autopsy the present relay,..looking for evidence of (probably) contact failure/compromise.......

Aside from this,..I'll certainly drop that drivers seat and have a real good inspection of the female side of the DME relay......you never know.............

Bottom line: I suspect it to be marginally performing CHEAP DME relays (my bad,..as this has been beat to death over the years....)

STAY WITH THE GOOD SHEEIT, people.

We'll see...

BEST!

Doyle
Old 05-22-2012, 09:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

gotta love the chinese economy
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I may have chanted some Chinese as I kicked in the direction of the DME relay to obtain drivability,..shaking my head all the way....and grinning.

I'll get to bottom of this,..the problem has been repeatable enough to draw conclusions AFTER a REAL DME relay is installed (proof is in the pudding, so to speak).......not to mention the upcoming autopsy analysis,..something's OBVIOUSLY "up"....and kicking the frikin DME relay lends a clue..

We'll see...

RUSH ..11/1, ATLANTA can't wait to see my Canadian friends!!!!!!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm.....yes, stick with German DME relays.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

(rimshot).....

Doyle
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

taking notes....

I just read an article by Steve Grosekemper about repairing the DME relay.
Have you guys tried this? The fix seems pretty simple.

Artcle at this link.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Doyle, there two possible items that can cause this..... The DME as you know and the connector it plugs into.... You may want to check the terminals of the connector while you are in there.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:44 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

As mentioned, that's something I will be certainly checking.. THANKS!

Doyle
Old 05-23-2012, 10:36 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have stoked the fire of the big steel wheels...
a swift kick CAN get results. Good point on the source of quality parts; I've been witness to lesser quality parts matriculating into the 944 market, all the while the good OEM/factory parts are going up in price dramatically(or NLA!).
On a side note. I was screwing around with the throttle body on my car (checking TPS, setting base idle, etc)and removed the idle bypass screw and discovered the o-ring seal was all but gone. VACUUM LEAK yea!! I found a suitable replacement in the parts bin and yes she has smoothed out a bit especially at closed throttle approach to idle. I mention this because it should apply to the 3.2 all the same. Pull that bypass screw and check that o-ring guys. Replace it and reset your base idle.
6/6/12 cannot get here soon enough. I've been busy with life and R-list has been at an idle for me, but I think of my friends here all the time. Rus, Shepp: toasting a cold one to you guys this evening... all my best.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Did you re-solder your new relay (no matter who produced it)?
If not, then you have a potentially unreliable relay.

Read here for more info under 'Vibration'; http://www.systemsc.com/problems.htm
Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Loren,

I have not done any solder reflows on the existing DME relay.....A new relay will be at home when I arrive today and this pup's gonna' be installed immediately. THEN, I'll take the problematic one to the bench for close inspection. I'm hoping that it' a solder issue,..and not something on the female side of that DME relay connector..I'll know more when I autopsy that bad boy.

As to the "new" relay,...I plan to just install it.

I've installed some vibration dampening for this relay, long ago......

I'll report back with my findings (maybe some pics, as well)

Thanks for the reply.

Doyle
Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
I too have stoked the fire of the big steel wheels...
a swift kick CAN get results. Good point on the source of quality parts; I've been witness to lesser quality parts matriculating into the 944 market, all the while the good OEM/factory parts are going up in price dramatically(or NLA!).
On a side note. I was screwing around with the throttle body on my car (checking TPS, setting base idle, etc)and removed the idle bypass screw and discovered the o-ring seal was all but gone. VACUUM LEAK yea!! I found a suitable replacement in the parts bin and yes she has smoothed out a bit especially at closed throttle approach to idle. I mention this because it should apply to the 3.2 all the same. Pull that bypass screw and check that o-ring guys. Replace it and reset your base idle.
6/6/12 cannot get here soon enough. I've been busy with life and R-list has been at an idle for me, but I think of my friends here all the time. Rus, Shepp: toasting a cold one to you guys this evening... all my best.
Good to hear from you Bird,..and hope everyone's is doing well,......bet that daughter is growing like a weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funny that you mention the idle bypass screw! Several months ago, I decided I wanted my '89 to idle at spec (NOT 800) and conducted the adjustment...I DID NOT touch the mixture screw. I could have sworn that I heard a slight hiss when I would apply pressure to the idle adjustment screw.....ever since then, especially when cold out, (upon first crank) she would hunt a bit,.....RPMs going up,..then down...then leveling out within 15-20 seconds. It's not doing it right now.....but I have a new screw and O-ring to install. I guess I should test this further by spraying carb cleaner on that screw and see what happens,..BEFORE I replace it. I would assume this things just backs right out,,.... right?

Anywaze,..fresh hardware and O-ring-to be installed,..as well as a fresh O2 sensor.

You going to see RUSH this year?

BEST!

Doyle
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Well,..the relay (and throttle adjust screw/O-ring) was on the doorstep uon arrival home today...here's a crap pic of the throttle adjust screw... Also got a couple of the (yellow) throttle screw caps.... (sorry for the crap pic)...sure looks like this baby will thread right in,..no issues,..will take some pics of my findings (especially the existing o-ring)

New DME relay is the 911-618-154-01-OEM. Genuine Porsche. Now,..to find time tonight to get this stuff in and cal'd.... here's another CRAP pic of the relay

BEST, to all!

Doyle
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I promise I'll make up for the blurred pics....(man-o-man).

Bird,...do you install this O-ring dry?

Best!

Doyle
Old 05-23-2012, 06:20 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
(rimshot).....

Doyle
^ EE humor!

Quick Reply: Frikin' cheap DME relays!!!!!!!!!