Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Which first? Torsion bars or sways

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 08:26 AM
JG26
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Which first? Torsion bars or sways

Looking to further upgrade the suspension on my '89 Targa. Car has a 3.6 conversion, 17" OEM C2 turbo wheels, bilstein sports, lowered with bump steer, turbo tie-rods and strut brace. Torsions and sways are bone stock.

I understand most people start with the torsion bars. What is a reasonable upgrade (frnt and rear dia) for a car that is mostly a weekend driver, with perhaps a little autocross action now and then? What's the scoop on hollow vs solid bars and what brands to all of you prefer?

I was thinking about bushings as well, but I'm afraid of Delrins based on past experience (noise and the constant need to lubricate them).

Appreciate any advice,

Pete
Old 04-27-2002, 08:57 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Pete,

You've already done much of the basics so you should be pretty set. In my opinion, the factory's choice for spring rates (Torsion bars) are on the soft side. I would start by upgrading the torsion bars. Since you already upgraded your shocks, you should be set. Targas are a special case since they are not as strong structurally, but I couldn't comment on the size of the bars. A typical street/track combination is 22/29 for coupes. I have 23/31 in an 89 turbo and the car is very stiff, but I use it mostly on the track. Hollow bars are lighter than solid, but you probably won't notice a difference. Also, I don't run plastic bushings for the same reason you indicated.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2002, 02:35 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Pete:

Good advice from Geoffrey!

Installing larger tubular torsion bars will not make a big impact on ride quality and will really help eliminate the excessive squat and dive that these cars do. The 22/29 combo in these cars is excellent, regardless whether its a coupe or Targa.

Personally, I would follow that up with a set of adjustable swaybars to eliminate most of the body lean and permit you to set the understeer/oversteer balance of the car to your individual skills and preferences.

I'd recommend either TRG or Smart Products swaybar kits. There are several sizing options depending whether you do any track events or not......

Those items will finish you car off quite nicely and the differences are quite dramatic.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:15 PM
JG26
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, good advice. The car is quite a bit lighter than stock. The A/C, cruise, fog lights, rear seats have all been deleted when the engine swap was done. The seats were replaced with Recaro A8s (saving additional weight). The exhaust is B&B stainless headers/muffler without cats (another 50lbs. plus. I think I'm down to about 2600 lbs.

Good points on the targa. When I started my search for a 3rd 911 after being Porscheless for 4 years, the 2 things I elimated where red cars and targas (I really wanted a silver coupe like the other two I had). So what do I buy? A red targa! But the car is so fine, it's an '89, but people take it for new. With a 280 hp 3.6 liter under the decklid, it's more of a Carrera RS, and I'd like it to handle like one.

OK, so I gather that 22/29 solid torsion bars is a good next step. Any brand preference? Weltmeisters are so prevalent. I'm ready to roll. I just don't want to overdo the torsion bar diameter and find the car too harsh to drive! Bilstein sports and 225/255 17s make for a pretty hard ride already.

Another thought - does the installation of a roll bar/cage help the targa overcome it's structual compromise over the Coupe (understanding of course that I will surrender some of the weight savings I've already achieved).

Thanks,

Pete

Quick Reply: Which first? Torsion bars or sways