Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil temp & Oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 06:40 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Oil temp & Oil pressure

Short, fast trip on the ´86 3.2 turbolook carrera. Scorching hot temp in the roads, with close to 40deg C. Aircon was on at all times.

I´ve noticed that the car´s temp needle will go up to the last "white mark", and stay around there, going up just a bit (never even close to red), or immediately below it.

I´ve also noticed that the oil pressure will no longer follow the RPM rule (1000=1, 3000=3) on the above conditions.

Are these two things normal? Car was running REALLY well...
Old 07-07-2002, 07:29 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Carlos:

What you observed is quite normal for those conditions.

I would honestly tell you that those kinds of oil temps are really too damned hot and not conducive to good engine life at all. The A/C will add about 20 deg F to the temperature of the cooling air going into the engine and under such conditions, I advise all my customer's to turn that off until things cool off back there,...

I hope you are using a good synthetic oil.
Old 07-08-2002, 02:48 AM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Cool

Thanks for the reply. Indeed, I am using a good synthetic oil, but somehow I don´t feel is enough.

Having the "trombone" oil cooler, I am thinking on switching to a higher performance cooler. Would that be the solution?
Old 07-08-2002, 03:25 AM
H. D. Smith
Instructor

Carlos,
I just switched to the Mocal cooler and after a good run on the track today we noticed a 30 degree drop (Never above 220)...so I must say that the cooler upgrade is well worth it!
<a href="http://www.racerpartswholesale.com" target="_blank">www.racerpartswholesale.com</a>

Old 07-09-2002, 03:12 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 184 Posts
Thumbs up

Just ordered my Mocal cooler. Got the last one in stock from racerpartswholesale.com
I originally called BAT, Inc. however both styles of Mocal coolers they offer are on backorder.
Looking foward to cooler oil temps from my SC
Old 07-10-2002, 03:48 AM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Carlos,

If you do have the trombone cooler an upgrade to the Carrera style cooler or a Mocal is an easy upgrade and a good solution.

But, are you sure you have the trombone? Most Carrera's came equiped with the Carrera style cooler and some early ones had the brass tube cooler. Both of these are efficient coolers. No Carreras came with the trombone.

If you already have one of these efficient coolers you can further upgrade your cooling capacity with the addition of finned oil lines from <a href="http://www.elephantracing.com" target="_blank">Elephant Racing</a> (my company). These directly replace the brass lines from external thermostat to front fender except they are finned to increase surface area 4X.

The lines themselves become a supplemental oil cooler.

Old 07-10-2002, 07:48 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Cool

Not sure if I got a trombone, or not. The one I´ve got is a series of (perhaps 8 to 10) tubes ahead of the right front wheel.

I find Chuck´s alternative interesting, but I still believe a real oil rad (especially if it also has a fan on it) will work well. I´ve noticed some high temp as well on stop and go traffic, so I think I´ll go for the rad+fan solution.
Old 07-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Carlos Artal
Advanced

Cool

I know this has been discussed before, and I know the numbers are there somewhere (can´t read them!). Anyone knows what temp corresponds to each white mark in the temp gauge?
Old 07-11-2002, 11:19 AM
Paco Anton
Intermediate

Saludos
Old 07-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Carlos you have the brass tube cooler. If you look close you will see there are several rows of tubes.

That is a good and efficient cooler. Some people think it is even better than the Carrera style cooler. The Carrera style only works well when you've got good airflow (at speed or with a fan). The tube type does better in stop and go.

Quick Reply: Oil temp & Oil pressure