The Porsche Classic concept

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Porsche Classic concept

Hi,

I have heard and read a lot about the Porsche Classic concept. Recently I saw a video on youtube where they visited the Porsche Classic workshop in Stuttgart, and they talked about how Porsche Classic are able to supply parts to almost every Porsche ever made.

It raised a couple of questions and I thought some of your might have been in touch with the Classic department before.

For instance, are every Porsche center able to source parts thorugh the Porsche Classic in Stuttgart ?

... and

Are there more than one Porsche Classic workshop than the one in Stuttgart ?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
Hi,

I have heard and read a lot about the Porsche Classic concept. Recently I saw a video on youtube where they visited the Porsche Classic workshop in Stuttgart, and they talked about how Porsche Classic are able to supply parts to almost every Porsche ever made.

It raised a couple of questions and I thought some of your might have been in touch with the Classic department before.

For instance, are every Porsche center able to source parts thorugh the Porsche Classic in Stuttgart ?

... and

Are there more than one Porsche Classic workshop than the one in Stuttgart ?
Have a look at this:

http://jalopnik.com/5908572/take-a-p...s-time-machine
Old 05-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Hi, thanks for that.
It is actually the video I saw the other day, but the article answered my questions :-)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Well I am waiting for a very specific small rubber piece from Porsche for my 34 y/o car and they say they could get it ..

unfortunately I think i am waiting for the rubber tree with my name on it in the amazon to grow .. its been quite a while.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:09 AM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At this point I don't have any experience with Porsche's Classic
Center. Actually, before seeing this video, I hadn't heard of it. It's interesting that Porsche considers a car that is only 10 years old, a "Classic". Mercedes has 2 Classic centers, one in Germany and one in California. Mercedes' Classic centers handle cars that have been out of production for at least 15 years.

I noticed in the video, they keep talking about the 959, and how many they have serviced. Also they kept pushing for one to go through their local dealer to get parts, versus contacting them.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I find it interesting that Porsche are able too keep track on all the different parts manufactured over the years. They talk about it in the video, how they use the same tools to manufacture the same parts as they did when the cars were new. Imagine what a puzzle that must be too keep track on all the tools ever used to manufacture Porsche parts with, from a lot of sub-supplies where many of them probably have went defunct over the years.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
I find it interesting that Porsche are able too keep track on all the different parts manufactured over the years. They talk about it in the video, how they use the same tools to manufacture the same parts as they did when the cars were new. Imagine what a puzzle that must be too keep track on all the tools ever used to manufacture Porsche parts with, from a lot of sub-supplies where many of them probably have went defunct over the years.
It's actually not that hard to find the components for the older cars. Each car model has it's own Bill of Materials with every part needed having it's own unique part number. So, start at the top. Year, model, submodel, section of the car (Body, Suspension, Motor, Transmission, etc.), then subsection of that section, and on down the line.

The company I work for supplies Porsche along with most of the major automakers. We have storage units and tons of racking holding the tools (molds) for all of our old parts. We are required to keep tools around for at least 10 years after the model run is done in order to supply the parts counters of the dealers, but for some manufacturers we supply, we are still running parts on very old models due to demand (if we can make money doing weekly runs on parts, we'll keep makin' parts).

It's all pretty interesting.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:31 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I met the head guy from Porsche's Classic at Parade last year so yes, the real deal as they had parts on display.
Attached Images         
Old 05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Jay H,

Just curious, what are some of the cars that you guys are still supplying parts for..? What are some of the oldest models?

Last edited by KNS; 05-23-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Jay H
Drifting

We still supply Ford and GM products that use the old school two key systems; one key for the door lock, another for the ignition (Ford Econoline vans come to mind as an old product we still supply out of our US factory as well as the aging Crown Vic stuff).

I'm just guessing, but I have to assume there are a few old school Porsche keys sitting around in the German factory...
Old 05-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jay H
We still supply Ford and GM products that use the old school two key systems; one key for the door lock, another for the ignition (Ford Econoline vans come to mind as an old product we still supply out of our US factory as well as the aging Crown Vic stuff).

I'm just guessing, but I have to assume there are a few old school Porsche keys sitting around in the German factory...
The Crown Victoria as in the 1955 model year or as in the 90s model year ?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Jay H
Drifting

'90's...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I think you will be able to find parts for most of the cars from that era.
What fascinates me is Porsche still supplies parts for the 356, probably parts made from the original tools.

Quick Reply: The Porsche Classic concept