Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Forgot: No antilock brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forgot: No antilock brakes

Coming home from work the other afternoon; I slowed when the car seemed to be going to fast (1); she stopped beyond the stop sign, wheels at the highway and looked over her right shoulder (2); I lifted. She pulled out in front of me (3) with no hope in sight; I stopped as she moved into T-bone position, drove on and waved. No touch. 1m-2m to spare. Heart in throat for the next five minutes.

Being used to ABS and, even after four months of regular driving, I forgot about what 911 brakes won't do. The stop was good enough, of course, but just barely. Clamped on your skids lately?

I need some DE.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

They must have been an interesting "brown" moment, glad nobody exchamged paint.

I just relaized that I have never locked up the brakes on my 911, probably jinxed myself now
Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

hmmm.

early in my 911 ownership, used to do my spirited driving out in the country.

going fast around a tight, blind corner. farmer pulling BIG wagon between fields across the road. NO WHERE TO GO.

stopped just a couple feet from the wagon. if I had not been able to stop, probably would have decapitated me.

since I started DE many years ago, I just dont drive fast/hard on the public streets any more. very little margin for error.

glad you survived the experience w/out impact/injury.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911tracker85
...I just dont drive fast/hard on the public streets any more. very little margin for error.
I looked harder at the marks coming to work this morning; it was a 1m near-hit. Before I considered the brakes I had already slowed to well under the limit. As a longtime motorcyclist (dropped one in 45 years) I'm a speed limit guy with anything less than clear road and no chance for catastrophe. Here in deer country (which may be anywhere these days) I'm as worried about animal collisions as I am getting nailed by omnipresent cellphone babblers.

The 1 1/2 car-length tire marks raise questions:

a) great brakes - because they saved my butt?
b) bad driving - never should've allowed a skid?
c) defensive driving wins - a collision would have occured if driving fast(er)?
d) defensive driving failed - never should've gotten so close?
e) in an antilock brake world do I need to relearn how to stop?

It was lucky I accounted for the unlikely event of her pulling out - that's the biker part of me working - so I lean to saying it was good defensive driving. On the other hand, the good biker never locks a wheel.

Conclusion: bad braking was bailed out by good defensive driving. Thank you, luck.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moo, you remind me of another factor that us motorcylists tend to be a little more attuned to and that is surface conditions. I am probably overly cautious in the wet where ABS makes a huge difference.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Moo
The 1 1/2 car-length tire marks raise questions:

a) great brakes - because they saved my butt?
b) bad driving - never should've allowed a skid?
c) defensive driving wins - a collision would have occured if driving fast(er)?
d) defensive driving failed - never should've gotten so close?
e) in an antilock brake world do I need to relearn how to stop?
a) Remember, tires are what stop the car, not the brakes. If you want to stop faster, you need stickier tires.
b) Skids are bad. It means traction was lost.
c) Defensive driving saved your butt this time.
d) How did it fail? You didn't hit her. This was her fault, not yours
e) Yes. Braking technique in an emergency situation is completely different than if you had ABS.

Good bikers always assume they are invisible to other motorists. Bad bikers have a very short average life span.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
...Good bikers always assume they are invisible to other motorists.
Yes - this was a biker-spider-sense moment. A few years back I started chanting, "Sun on your back? Cars attack." Sun was not in the girls face, however - she wasn't blinded, she was careless.

Funny. As a teen, it took me years to learn that slamming on the brake was bad. When ABS came out it took me years to learn that slamming on the brake was good. Going full circle; need to relearn good pumping technique.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 911 will still stop or turn when you are waaaaayyyyyy outside the window of what you think the car will do.

I've had many times when I've locked up tires in a panic stop. I've had to stop for other cars, kids, dogs, squirrels, cats, you name it. Only once or twice did I actually hit something. A squirrel I think, and it ran away.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

I looked harder at the marks coming to work this morning
a couple weeks ago spun out big time at MidOhio. took a few laps before I could have a sec to see my skid marks, complete 360 across the track ..... fortunately, only ended up with a little black mark on my rear fender from the tire wall I brushed.

As a longtime motorcyclist (dropped one in 45 years) I'm a speed limit guy with anything less than clear road and no chance for catastrophe. Here in deer country
I also ride a bike. yep, a good friend spent a few days in the hospital due to a deer running in front of him.

if you have not already, GO TO SOME DE EVENTS.

in addition to reducing the need to drive fast on the public roads to experience the capabilities of our cars, you learn to be a better driver and experience how your car react at the limit. with an instructor sitting next to you screaming in your ear over the intercom "holy $#!+"
Old 05-09-2012, 07:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

i flat spotted a brand new set of 1500 dollar RE71s once .. i just didnt see the stop sign really .. cabin was FULL of smoke that came in through the air ducts of my 944
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HPDE
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Track driving actually makes me want to drive faster on the street; feels like going in slow motion afterwards.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^what he said. Tracking my car doesn't satisfy my need for speed, it fuels it.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TroyN
Track driving actually makes me want to drive faster on the street; feels like going in slow motion afterwards.
I wish ya'll would re-think this. It's wrong, dangerous and illegal.

Get on the track, learn, use your car hard and drive home safely. Speed is not good on the streets.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I have actually been driving slower on the street after going on the track a few times.

On the street I have to worry about drivers chatting on the phone, texting, drinking coffee, reading the paper, putting on make-up, smacking the kids, shaving, texting, drunk, stoned, chairs in the road, deer, squirells, tumbleweeds, bicyclists, boulders, mattresses, getting tazed by the cops, etc...

Quick Reply: Forgot: No antilock brakes