Traded Boxster S for 1987 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:45 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
I can't agree more... I had air cooled 911's for 17 years strait. For some stupid reason, I thought I would try a few new high-performance German cars. They were faster smoother but lacked any personality or soul. After losing a lot of money in depreciation with three of these newer performance cars, I had to return to my roots. I will never ever again be without a 911. There's even a distinct smell that the 911 air cooled cars have that no other performance car or even newer 911s has. It smells like a historic library draped in a leather. The smell is intoxicating to me. The old adage "if I have to explain, you won't understand" applies here.
The '89 is my fourth Porsche after a 928, 993 and Cayenne.
The Cayenne has been good to drive but miserable to own in depreciation and teething issues.

I really look forward to wheeling the 911. I need to fix the voltage regulator so I can drive it
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

the VR is pretty straight forward if you are handy ..

at worse you should be able to get it out , take it to a good shop and have it rebuilt ( alternator) with a quality VR installed.

Then back in and on the road ..
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too "lost my way" with water cooled Porsches that while comfortable, did not have enough soul. Large repair bills for foolish items like RMS issues where a $14 seal causes large labor costs to occur to fix leaks that ruin resale value. Wondering if that IMS bearing is going to let go and leave you stranded and cost you $22,000 to repair the car. I lost lots in depreciation too... I'm done with that nonsense.

I'm driving more pedestrian cars for daily drivers now and enjoy the air cooled cars as they should be enjoyed on special drives in the rural areas, car shows and PCA events.

There should be a support group for recovering former water cooled Porsche owners...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:17 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is like a revival or homecoming. Isn't it nice to actually own a handbuilt performance car that is designed to last and to have its general maintenance performed by its owner. How could the value of these cars not appreciate? These are rare diamonds in a sea of the dealer dependent vehicles.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats and smart move! Shame you suffered so long in a Boxster! lol
You will love it and love modding it! Does it have an mods?
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
B Chester
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Very nice. How are you liking it so far ?
Thanks for asking. I have to admit I had a Triptronic in the Boxster and didn't have to deal with a clutch. It's been about 25 years since I had a 280Z with a stick shift. We had had a couple of modern cars with stick shifts, but that was before most of the child-rearing years (which were mini vans and SUVS), which are now over. I'm a little rusty, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I love the car and and the feedback it gives to all my senses. The Boxster was a phase in my life that I'm glad I had, but it's over now. This Targa is fun.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 PM
B Chester
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Congrats and smart move! Shame you suffered so long in a Boxster! lol
You will love it and love modding it! Does it have an mods?
No mods to speak of, other than an after-market radio/CD player which I have not even turned on. I'd rather hear this engine.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by B Chester
No mods to speak of, other than an after-market radio/CD player which I have not even turned on. I'd rather hear this engine.
Agreed! If you start modding, first make sure suspension, tires and brakes are up to snuff. Then hit the engine!

Quick Reply: Traded Boxster S for 1987 Targa