Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oops, too loud. Pics, video and an offer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oops, too loud. Pics, video and an offer.

So I finally installed the beautiful Cat Bypass and 1 in 1 out muffler from M&K/Rarlyl8. Fit and finish are fantastic and once I was able to remove the old OEM exhaust system, installation (with the hardware and gaskets provided) was a breeze.

A word about removing the old system: this can be a royal pain in the ***. 24 hours of PB Blaster and plenty of elbow grease resulted in exactly one bolt out of six removed. This obstinance allowed me to fulfill a lifelong dream and buy a Dremel tool. Get the quick release option and a pack of metal cutting blades and wear eye protection. I know this stuff is old hat to many of you guys but raising the rear of the car and placing it on jack stands with my new floor jack and stands was nerve wracking at first but became second nature by the end. This was a phenomenal learning experience.

So here's the catch. It's too loud. I mistakenly bought a cat bypass when it appears I should have purchased a pre-muffler. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great (as the video will attest) but this is not a track car or even a weekend car. It is my daily driver for work, kids soccer practices, etc. so much of my driving is done in the close confines of NYC and quaint historic neighborhoods of Brooklyn. And the sound is so intoxicating that I simply cannot drive it slow. So I have decided to order a pre-muffler from Brian and Ben. Here is where the offer comes in. I will give this barely used cat bypass to the best offer one of you can come up with. But I don't want cash. For example, a couple of pounds of freshly roasted coffee beans or a gently used Porsche book. A Cuban cigar would be nice but I don't drink so no booze. Be creative. Bonus points for people who do not require shipping (I'm not Doyle) or are currently enrolled in college. Send me PM's if you're shy. Remember, this is for the cat bypass only (retail $195). Allow a couple of weeks for me to get the new kit.

Here's what came off:

Here's what went on (cat bypass on the left):

Here's what it sounds like:
Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds fantastic!! Is the rest of the car stock?

I like your trade idea, very creative and reflects on how great the Rennlist community is, will be fun seeing what people come up with.

Looking at the picture of the bypass and the muffler, it makes me wonder if any company makes the 2 as 1-piece, avoiding the need for a flange and gasket/hardware to join them and maintaining a smoother inner-pipe.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea, Robey!
Good luck with it.
I just put in an M&K 1-in 2-out GT3 muffler and a pre-muffler in my car and this is what it sounds like...great workmanship on both by M&K. I got a great deal on the muffler on the other board; it had been ceramic coated and used only once, so the savings paid for the SW chip.

The video

Last edited by mclmk8d; 04-17-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what a delicious sound!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Caferacer
Pro

Wow, I love the look and sound of the GT3 exhaust with the pre-muffler. I got the SW chip first in anticipation of getting the exhaust.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mclmk8d
want x10
Old 04-18-2012, 11:17 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

With the gt3 style muffler what did you do about the (now empty) cutout where the factory exhaust protrudes from the bumper??
Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
With the gt3 style muffler what did you do about the (now empty) cutout where the factory exhaust protrudes from the bumper??
I took the valance off for now. I may or may not get a fiberglass one and cut out where the exhaust is.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:34 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sick of loud cars (perhaps I'm getting old..). I've got an M&K pre muffler and the stock, factory muffler. It's pretty darn quiet.

The nuts and bolts on this car have spoiled me - having spent it's whole life in Socal and AZ. When I removed my cat for the pre muffler, every single bolt came off with ease! They were in such good shape I reused all of them.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

I think that sounds great CafeRacer. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by mclmk8d
Great idea, Robey!
Good luck with it.
I just put in an M&K 1-in 2-out GT3 muffler and a pre-muffler in my car and this is what it sounds like...great workmanship on both by M&K. I got a great deal on the muffler on the other board; it had been ceramic coated and used only once, so the savings paid for the SW chip.

The video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RceNc...Kdq_xE4Vrvqgs=
I had one of the GT3-style center exhausts on my car, but the droning was too much for me. Ben was nice enough to allow me to swap for a more traditional 1-out exhaust and it is the right amount of growl with no droning. Sounds like you don't have that problem with yours. I wish I could have kept the GT3 because it looks sweet.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

It is impossible for anyone here to recommend keeping it that way, from only listening to a video on a computer. I sympathize with you, in light of your usage.

PS-I think the "blue wrench" is a more effective way to remove exhaust, than a Dremel.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It is impossible for anyone here to recommend keeping it that way, from only listening to a video on a computer. I sympathize with you, in light of your usage.

PS-I think the "blue wrench" is a more effective way to remove exhaust, than a Dremel.
I appreciate all of the positive comments but you are correct Ed. The audio is not great and I didn't get any pops or backfires in that brief sequence either but they set off car alarms regularly. In fact, if it sounded as mellow in the video as it did in real life I would probably keep the set up. I am a big fan of throaty, almost obnoxious sounds coming from cars and motorcycles but I have had citizens running down the street screaming at me and giving me the finger in recent days. And even when I have the self-discipline to short shift I still create a public nuisance. Long gone are the days when I would throw wheelies down quiet streets with a "race" exhaust...

Would the 'blue wrench" be a torch? I don't think I could be trusted with that yet.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Strictly speaking your cat bypass is not the issue. I have a cat bypass on my stock muffler and it sounds fine .. not too loud or obnoxious at all. Having said that though maybe you need a premullfer to match the muffler you bought.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Caferacer
Pro

No question, but this is M&K's most restrictive muffler (1 in 1 out) so my best (least expensive) option is to replace their cat bypass with one of their pre-mufflers. Which, of course, was the point of this whole thread.

Quick Reply: Oops, too loud. Pics, video and an offer.