Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa top bag and rear seat/floor cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa top bag and rear seat/floor cover

I regularly transport the hound (80-lbs of airedale/Newfie mix) on folded down rear seat config. I also remove the targa top often and am not concerned about folding it for drive-time storage in the trunk or, when convenient, the back seat. I hate putting it in the backseat though, due to road dirt, birdcrap, or potential damage from, say, the hound etc.

Given I own a cut-and-sew factory here in NC it is easy enough to make a pattern and create a closely-fitted, color-coordinated lightly padded targa top bag and fitted back seat/floor drape. I am producing prototype set #1 (Yellowbird yellow x black) from Sunbrella, a very tough, UV outdoor-rated, fade resistant acrylic woven typically used as boat top- or awning material. The color options are considerable.

Anyone interested in this concept for their own use?

Last edited by Mister Moo; 05-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

the Targa top is a funny thing . the only way to fit it inside the car ( at least on my 78 ) is to put is vertically behind the seats. as i dont collapse mine.

I used to cover it with a blanket but that was marginaly successfull .. here are the issues I encountered you may want to think about

1. resting it vertically on the hump between the seats you have to be carefull you dont break off the plastic centre alignment pin.
2. the roof is heavy, this causes the roof lip where it is resting to be slighly deformed ( the hump between the seats )
3. It is akward to get in and out and on mine
4. Because it wasnt perfectly secure it rubbed a hole through the inside vinyl lining on my Targa bar.

I used to have a 944 and found negotiating that roof in and out of a roof bag a huge PITA . i see this as the same or worse with the pins and latches on a Targa roof .

end of the day, unless it really looks like rain .. mine stays on the wall in the garage .. WAY less hassle.

I might consider a bag if the price point was right , was easy to use and somehow secured the roof so it doesnt flop around behind the seats.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-19-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
the Targa top is a funny thing . the only way to fit it inside the car ( at least on my 78 ( is to put is vertically behind the seats. as i dont collapse mine.

I used to cover it with a blanket but that wa marginaly successfull .. here are the issues I encountered you may want to think about

1. resting it vertically on the hump between the seats you have to be carefull you dont break off the plastic centre alignment pin.
2. the roof is heavy, this causes the roof lip where it is resting to be slighly deformed ( the hump between the seats )
3. it is akward to get in and out and on mine
4. because it wasnt perfectly secure it rubbed a hole through the inside vinyl lining on my Targa bar.

I used to have a 944 and found negotiating that roof in and out of a roof bag a huge PITA . i see this as the ame or worse with the pins and latches on a Targa roof .

end of the day unless i really looks like rain .. mine stays on the wall in the garage .. WAY less hassle.

I might consider a bag if the price point was right , was easy to use and somehow secured the roof so it doesnt flop around behind the seats.
Excellent feedback as always. I am expert in custom design, manufacture and field application for high performance textiles. Each of your points was considered relative to the targa bag except, 1) it's for a folded top; and 2) price. Ease of fit, closeness of fit, non-skid/secure and chafe points were already built into the first design pattern, below. Lets see what happens when I get the real deal made, maybe tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

finished pattern ready for prototype #1. Non-skid on the bottom and seatbelt grabbers on the back corners keep the 19-pound bagged top in place during the most spirited driving I could muster on backroads this morning; the outward and upward facing protuberances (pointy things) are lightly padded and reinforced to protect the bag and whatever bumps the bag (black-striped circles). There is a webbing grab-handle (not visible) to ease carrying and placing (or removing) the case on the back seat deck. Velcro closure were increased from 1" wide to 2" wide.

I'm excited to see my finished item.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

I must admit that looks kinda cool . If you folded your roof to store i would consider soemthing like this a "must have" ..
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm the same way as Iceman regarding the top-I usually stow the opened top behind the seat or hang it on the garage wall.

I usually place a towel on the rear hump to protect the center alignment pin.

I would consider your product if i folded the top.

Thanks !
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Mister Moo, I would take one in black for sure as long as it wasn't made of gold

I store my top folded in the trunk when driving. This would be perfect.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Mister Moo, I would take one in black for sure as long as it wasn't made of gold

I store my top folded in the trunk when driving. This would be perfect.
Thanks for the interest!

There is nothing for sale at the moment - but I am trying to gauge interest while I'm making my prototypes, showing pix and field testing. I also need to determine if the concept-pieces are durable, practical and afforable in low-production numbers. It's harder than I thought to make the best targa top bags and rear-seat anti-dog covers possible. We'll figure it out - right here.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Targa bag looks nice and I too would be interested if you ever go commercial and it is in black.

Had my targa top rebuilt by Dave Brown last fall and it is now excellent condition, however since my car is a year round daily driver I never know when I can go topless so I just fold it up, wrap a towel around it and put it in the trunk. On most summer weekends I take it off, do not fold it and lay it flat.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

I got #1 made today and it fits like a glove. I'll mess with it for a while and make sure it's right. In the meantime I'm starting on the back seat cover and an unfolded targa top storage bag.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

As a former Targa owner, I must say that after going through a recovering event, I'd NEVER fold a 20+ year old Targa top again. Sure, the factory made them that way, but they weren't concerned about longevity.

A cover for an unfolded top may be more practical.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:57 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed, what is the issue of folding a top?

Mine was rebuilt by the previous owner and works well. Does folding it shorten its lifespan?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2 Targa
Ed, what is the issue of folding a top?

Mine was rebuilt by the previous owner and works well. Does folding it shorten its lifespan?
Yes it does. The stretching of the material and stress on the seams will take its toll.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes it does. The stretching of the material and stress on the seams will take its toll.
One of the fringes (about the only one!) of being in the textile industry... 100 sewing machines, no great cost and no fear to rip and recover.

A local p-car owner came by the other day, liked the fold-bag and wanted one from Sunbrella to match his car. I may have a go at it next week. I made one for me from yellow and black nylon; whenever I make something all black it can be difficult to show details in pictures. I'll post a couple ASAP.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Thanks Ed. It seams (pun intended) I may need to re-think my folding strategy.

Quick Reply: Targa top bag and rear seat/floor cover