Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa Seal install

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts

i would be embarassed to make a youtube vid of pulling a piece of rubber out and puting one in ...

Having said that though there is a rubber seal that goes around each round rear receepticle for the Targa pins. I pulled mine out and are replacing them both . Because it goes between the inner and outer bar i am going to jabe to remove the outer bar.

I also had a couple of broken ski rack screw plugs so ordered those too.

Now it is a matter of spraying the nuts under the fender so i can remove the bar without breaking off the studs.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i would be embarassed to make a youtube vid of pulling a piece of rubber out and puting one in ...

Having said that though there is a rubber seal that goes around each round rear receepticle for the Targa pins. I pulled mine out and are replacing them both . Because it goes between the inner and outer bar i am going to jabe to remove the outer bar.

I also had a couple of broken ski rack screw plugs so ordered those too.

Now it is a matter of spraying the nuts under the fender so i can remove the bar without breaking off the studs.
Well at least I know then not to use your name in the search engine for it then! haha
I have learned over the years, that nothing is as easy as it should be, so a little instructional video w/ tips, etc could never hurt.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Well at least I know then not to use your name in the search engine for it then! haha
I have learned over the years, that nothing is as easy as it should be, so a little instructional video w/ tips, etc could never hurt.
come on ... man up and get in there .. the waters not that cold ..
Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like "someone" has the perfect opportunity to shoot a video of this process....
Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I am finally going to get the op to do it this holiday weekend. Since I now have Dan's windsheld seal and the Pelican Targa bar seal, all should be a good fit. What is the best solvent to use for the glue that remains after I peel off the old and what else do I need to prep all areas with? As far as application glue, I bought the glue shown below from Pelican.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i used varsol and it worked great
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

i used varsol and it worked great
Not that well versed in these products. Is that for glue removal, prep or new glue?
Old 05-27-2012, 08:03 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

One word perfectly summizes this install...........TEDIOUS!!
You have to have A LOT of patience and put in a lot of elbow grease to get the old glue off and prep the surface. It is a very laborious 2 hour job. I elected not to do the Targa seal in the same weekend, especially since it's not really that bad. On top of the new seal improving the cosmetic appearance of the Targa w/ the top off, it has eliminated all door and top squeaks and rattles! On the left is the before and right after. It's tough to tell in the pics, but the original had many chunks out of the top of the rubber.
Attached Images   
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Okay i am in the middle of mine and since somebody asked for instructions i will show my small project that turned into a larger one

I started out taking the rubber targa bar seal out as Sarge did and it fell to pieces. In the process of removing the old glue with varsol to soften it up i inadvertantly grabbed a seal and ripped it out. it goes around the rear receiver sockets behind the occupantes . oh well

This seal goes between the inner and outer Targa bar. So now the outer cover has to come off. Gives me an opportunity to replace all the screws and the ski rack plugs too.

Canadian cars are always given a bad wrap and i hope to disprove this once and for all. Canadian cars are considered " cold country cars" and get outstanding rust protection on top of the galvanized body. My car is 34 years old and it is spotless under the fenders where the studs come throiugh for the cover. I sprayed them liberally twice and i just took my time taking them out and no problems. all 4 nuts came off with ease.
I lifted the targa bar up and off and it looked brand new under the outer cover. I tried to take the same pic as the "targa project " thread where he had to weld in new metal. this looks brand new.

Even the felt was in good shape as well as the sponge.

i took a blury pic of my new seals and plugs .. sorry about that

my seals are kinda folded back on themselves so i am not sure how they are suppose to look installed. i will get a better pic tomorrow.

pic one was the 10mm deep socket tool so i could just lie on my back as i hate reaching. Worked great. you can see the nut i took off and one of the seals i removed.

pics 2 and 3 are under the cover . A little sealer from the rear window makes it look messy but i was VERY impressed with how clean it all was.

A pic from under the fender . You can see the rustproofing has really done its job and made the hardware removal easy.

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Removing the bar cover was the 4 nuts underneath the fender, 15 phillips screws and 4 ski rack plugs. that was it and it lifted right out. Pics just show what good shape everything was in. oh guess i should update the date on the camera

Anyway now it is just a matter of putting the new seals on and putting it back together.
on a scale of 1-10 i would say this was about a 2.0 if you show some patience with removing the glue from the track and removing the nuts from under the fender. The ony real problem was the waiting for those seals. took about a month. must ave been a ruber plant they were growing in the amazon with my name on it.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

got an updated pic of the seals that go around tthe rear receivers . Any one know what they are suppose to look like installed ? and am i suppose to glue them in ? i wouldnt thing so

The lower and upper ones are the way they could go . I am thinking they are suppose to install like the lower pic . The middle one i whats left of my original .

Old 06-12-2012, 10:52 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Does this help?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...l-removal.html
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Actually not really. But i think i got it
Il post a pic tomorrow

edit

this is how i decided to install it .

Not quite done . There are no holes for the plastic retainer so a touch with a hot rod to melt a neat hole is in order.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Hey Sarge does that rubber glue remain sticky ? or dry hard ?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:07 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Hey Sarge does that rubber glue remain sticky ? or dry hard ?
Thats what she said! haha
Basically when it dries, it need a scraper to get it off! It's contact cement, so you apply rubber material about 15 min after glue application.

Quick Reply: Targa Seal install