Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1990 c2 for 12kkkkkkkkk

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Schuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16 Jake...are you going to get a PPI on this car or not? If not, I'd like to know where this C2 is and get a PPI on it for myself...drop me an email at k_schumac@yahoo.com if your not going to buy this car...

Kevin
Old 06-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here are the lowest priced 1990-91 911/C2s in my area on Trader online (Southern Cal). They are not bad examples actually...decent/good prices ($16500-15900). (note the first example is a 91 body on 75 chassis).

<a href="http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=911&start_year=1990&end_year=1991&min_price=&max_pri ce=17000&distance=100&certified=n&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=POR&address =" target="_blank">http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=911&start_year=1990&end_year=1991&min_price=&max_pri ce=17000&distance=100&certified=n&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=POR&address =</a> 90277&search_type=used&x=20&y=12
Old 06-06-2003, 12:25 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 344 Likes on 153 Posts
Harry.....Incredibly well said! You are destined to be a great writer. My lack of patience in my previous posts to jake are embarassing. Actually I feel it was frustration more than patience. I did not want to see a young guy buy a major POS for his first Porsche. Although, it would be a terrific learning experience, if HE had the patience! I'm just happy that he's "into" Porsches instead of Ricers. I'm seeing alot of young guys buying a 356 for their first Porsche. We have to keep the 356 faith going! That's where it all started.

Jake....I sent the book 'Porsche Buyers Guide' in the mail this morning. And if it's possible at all for you to go up to Solvang for the 912 Weekend.....GO! We've had many POC and PCA events held in Solvang (when we lived in Cal). It's a great place especially when a bunch of Porsches are prowling around!
Where you live Jake would put you in the San Diego region of the PCA. SDR PCA is only one of the biggest and best clubs in the country! Over a thousand members, very active members. The current President of SDR is Tom Brown, and you can email him at tb911@adelphia.net with any questions about the club. They have tech sessions, Drivers Ed at Jack Murphy Stadium (or whatever its called now) car shows, fun runs, lunch and dinner meetings, etc etc. You would gain more P knowledge around this gang than you can imagine! Their monthly newsletter is amazing. It rivals the Panorama, the National PCA magazine.
Keep looking and let us know what you find.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:14 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
ahh Robert.. you said those 3 magical words.. keep the faith thats what its all about. speaking of which im hoping to find some of the maestro's books either this weekend at the tweeks funfest (they have a swap meet too), or at stoddards swap meet next weekend. 5 years ago, i saw one of the maestro's books for around 20 somthing and thought.. thats too expensive.. now i realize i am a dumb ***!!

speaking of stoddards, you need me to look for anything while im there? id be more than happy to offer my scrounging services for all of your help and advice.

oh, and also, thank you for the kind complement, i really needed to hear that!!! ive really been struggling lately with my writing assignments, and feeling like i just cant do it anymore. mostly ive been going nuts with writers block and lack of enthuisiasm and creativity. im definitly in need of that road trip to get the creative juices flowing, and some inspiration to get going again.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:54 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry....Just have a great time and take some pix. I really wanted to go to Tweeks but we have friends coming in from out of town and spending a couple of days with us. Next Year. You know Tweeks use to have a store in Long Beach (S Cal) and had a swapmeet/car show twice a year. I would sell about 5K worth of Porsche stuff each time. I really missed it when they closed up shop.
I'm sure you know that Harry Pellow, The Maestro, is no longer with us. He was a great source of knowledge and laughter for us all. I have not heard what is to become of the tremendous inventory that he had accumulated over the years. I have his book 'secrets of the inner circle' and it has proved priceless while rebuilding our 356 motor.
Drive safe and have a great time!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I have been following this thread and I know this is off topic but Harry Pellow was great, I so enjoyed reading his books and the stories on his web site were great.
I aspire to be a 356 owner someday.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:49 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Robert,

yeah i found out a few mos ago, the same week he passed. and now that his books are out of print you can see why i called myself a dumb ***.
i still visit his website, and read all the stories he has. he seemed to be a funny, genial eccentric mad man; a true genious.

if i can make it down to hot springs, ill have to bring somthing down i know you would love to see. my dad (from back in his vee-dub days) has an early 50's 356A engine workshop manual. really cool stuff there! (i believe the copy write date on it is 54 or 55).

my goal is to get one of his books. either secrets, murphy is my co pilot, or abc's and 912's. or one of his other great books as well. a few weeks ago i saw abc's go for over $200 on ebay. to think.. 5 years ago, i coulda gotten his books for 10% of that!!

and im serious about stoddards.. if you are looking for anything, i will pick it up for you. least i could do for all your help and wisdom.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:26 AM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry....Honestly can't think of anything I need!
I would however give just about anything to get into Chuck Stoddard's shop. When he left the dealership a few years ago I heard all the 356 stuff went with him. His "warehouse" must be mind boggling. Besides all the parts, he has some really incredible cars. Maybe someday!

THANKS Harry!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:55 AM
16jake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok guys everyone has talk so much about me getting a 944 that i decided to go look at a 86 944TURBO. The car was a charcol color and had polished rims. well here i can give you a link to the ad. Anyways i drove it and it fells completely different than all the 911s i drove. The car has suffecient power. the motor had a top end rebuild about 5k miles ago. The clutch and tranny fell super strong. One thing though when we would lightly apply the brakes it was almost as if the back rotors were lose. If felt like when applied, the brake calipers were moving on the rotor, or lose? Also when driving normally everything in the car seem great and then when i jumped on it and got the rpms up the car seemed like there was a slight grinding in the back. Is this normal? Could this just be exhaust vibration? What are the pros and cons of these cars. Is there anything i should really no about. i am going to speak to the mechanic who has worked on this car fo the last eight years today. check it out
<a href="http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standard/results/single/ld/detail.jhtml?paId=125919934&aff=national&sellerView=true&src=&cid=" target="_blank">http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standard/results/single/ld/detail.jhtml?paId=125919934&aff=national&sellerView=true&src=&cid=</a>
Old 06-07-2003, 01:28 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
grinding on acceleration would make me think transaxle problem - which isn't cheap on those cars. Is that shimmy you are feeling through the pedal that's making the brakes seem loose? Or is it in the seat? Also has a salvage title. Unless he has documentation or pictures to show the condition of the car before the title was branded then forget it. You can find a nice one for a a few dollars more. Don't count on carfax to carry you through.

Again, this is not a bargain since you can buy a straight non-branded car for less than it would take to make this one right.

Pass.

rjp
Old 06-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Schuey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
16jake, thanks for the info, it does LOOK great, but so did Bugs Bunny dressed as a woman...lol...my financial advisor (the wife) pretty much didn't have to tell me that I couldn't have another 911 (at least not now) no matter how good of a deal it may be...maybe once we have the house built this fall...anyway, I'd love for someone either here or on pelican to check this out...it could be a great buy if the PPI checks out...
Old 06-08-2003, 12:51 AM
Trust me
Instructor

Could it have warped rotors? Also, A 951 should set you back in the seat (when in boost). Not a face peeler but, a "wow" is normally what you hear. The 951 is also a great choice for what money you have and what you get.
Once again, good luck. Don't get frustrated. You'll be happy you waited when the right car comes along.

Troy
Old 06-10-2003, 02:14 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

it will feel different from the 911 b/c its is nothing like the 911. front engine, front drive, & water cooled, plus its a turbo and you were looking at NA 911s. (i may be wrong.. dont know if sc stands for super charged or not.. sorry im stuck in the stoned age right now in p-cars.. 912s early 911s and 356's ).

i know nothing about 944s, except my dad had the 1st one in columbus when i was 3 years old. best bet is to look at the 944 board, ask them.

other than that i can give you this amount of advice.

look back at what you have driven and seen. what do you like better? you have driven a few completely different porsches. 1) front engine front drive water cooled, 4 cyl
2) rear engine, rear drive, air cooled, 6 cyl.

listen to your senses.. what do notice as the difference. (do not consider whether its naturaly aspirated or not). how do they make you feel, what feels natural to you? what feels more comfortable, easier? how do you like the way each handles? how do you like the way they feel driving and shifting? what about the throttle and power? which one apeals to your senses more as you drive? COMPARE HOW THEY DRIVE!!!!!!!!
now what about your sense of sight, take a look at looks. which one looks better? do looks really matter when comparing these 2 types of porsches??

compare EVERYTHING. sure some things are gonna be off and need redone, like breaks etc..
but things that are just the natural feel to each style of car.. look at those and focus. what do you like, and what dont you like. pros and cons of each. from there you will determine which you would rather have 911 or 944. (of course do yourself a favor and try another 944 or 2 to make sure you get an accurate tase of what they really feel like. 1 car cannot do that).

when youre done with that you will know what to focus on.. 911 or 944.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:20 PM
16jake
Instructor

i believe the 944s are rear wheel drive. i was encouraged by many of the guys on the 944 forum to buy the car but i decided to back out of the deal for these reasons.
1) The car had 130k miles on it with a turbo in the engine. (most fast cars are driven hard and fast)
2) Something just did not seem right with the sellers reasons for selling.
3) Lots of unknowns (History of the car)
4) Ever since the beginning i have wanted a 911 or 912 and i think i should wait until i can find the car that i really want.
5) i enjoy the "raw" feel of a 911 vs. the luxury and ease of a 944. (the 944 is definately and great car and a car that i would love to own in the future for a daily driver, but my pickup serves that purpose for now)
So i will continue on. thanks again for the input.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:26 PM
16jake
Instructor

ON The topic of the C2. the car has been sold. I decided to give up the number to schuey because i was not able to come up with the money or time right away and the seller was in a desperate need for money (due to loss of his job) so i figured i would help the guy out. A man who aquired the number of the pelican parts forum (where scheuy posted it)bought the car. i guess i am glad i am not tempted with this car anymore because it was really not the right car for me. thanks for the advice everyone.

Quick Reply: 1990 c2 for 12kkkkkkkkk