Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1990 c2 for 12kkkkkkkkk

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 10:39 AM
16jake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More info has told me this. quoted from owner of pristine motors. "The 1990 C2 Cpe's owner lost his job some months ago and needs cash. The car needs sunroof cables leather (seat) repairs, just cosmetic stuff. The Car has 160kmi"
trying to post a pix of the car but dont now what the heck im doing. do you have to post pix off my server?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Sonic dB
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just have it inspected prior to purchase by a reputable Porsche mechanic. Will cost you a couple of hundred but will tell you whats wrong with it.

You may have just found a lucky deal.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:22 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
964s are notorious for oil leaks and engine probs and such. be very careful..........

Not only the 964 but all 911 engines have the save problems, A 911 engine is like a harley if it ain't leaking oil it's not a real harley. Remember the old saying if its not in the shop its not a porsche.

George
Old 06-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<strong>Remember the old saying if its not in the shop its not a porsche.

George</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I've never heard that saying. Maybe that saying started with the 996's? I know my local dealer's bays are full of cars with the motor out of them....
-Chris
Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 PM
jet911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard that saying either.

George - why even bother, it's obviouse you don't think much about P-car power trains..(per another thread).

Geeeze.......
Old 06-04-2003, 05:22 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
When I passed my local porsche shop this morning I counted 7 911's. When I go in for my service once a year brakes, ac checkup and full front to back check I see all the wounded porshes with engine issues on the rack, ya don't need the engine out of the car to change oil, spark plugs or oil filter just the facts not a flame.

George
Old 06-04-2003, 05:36 PM
sschmerg
Racer

Let's not start this again...well Ok, let's.

So, seven cars in the shop indicates that Porsche motors are inherently bad? And I suppose we wouldn't find seven Corvettes at the Chevy dealer being worked on, right? Why don't you offer some empirical evidence of Porsche reliability vs. other manufacturer's motors, instead of this meaningless crap.

Oh, and I don't need to remove the motor from my car to change the oil either.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:52 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds perfectly logical that a Porsche shop would have PORSCHE's in the bays being worked on. What were you expecting, a Chevy?
Old 06-04-2003, 05:56 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Jay H:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> 964s are notorious for oil leaks and engine probs and such. be very careful. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">ABUSED 964's leak and have engine problems. Nice 964's don't have these problems.

Jay
90 964</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">yes, but what are the chances of one being sold for 12k, being well taken care of, in tip top shape?
Old 06-04-2003, 06:37 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts
I think you nailed it Harry, Oh so true. Why would anyone sell a car that should be in the 20s(?) for 12K unless it was a big headache for the owner? But this is 16Jake asking. The same kid that wanted our opinion on that 80 something 911 with a 73 motor in it. He has apparently not listened to all the advice that was given him to buy a 912 or WAIT until he can buy something real, not a POS or bastard of some kind. If he listens to one of the posters here he'll end up with a 911 with a V8 in it!?!?! How about mounting it up in the front like a real chevy? Then you could put your suitcases in the back! Or put Dually wheels on for towing!
Old 06-04-2003, 06:43 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

The subject topic is a 1990 C2 for sale for 12K, not how many vettes are in the shop broke with engine trouble. I'm only commenting on oil leaks and engine issues not a porsche vs chevy debate. I all to well know all about oil leaks with a porsche 911 motor. BTW I am confused about a couple things if a porsche engine can go hundreds of thousands of miles without a rebuild then why are so many DOA with less than 100K? I see plenty of taxi cabs at the airport with american pushrod motors with over 200K on the engine all the time, Next time travling ask the cab drivers about miles on their cabs just some food for thought.

George
Old 06-04-2003, 08:56 PM
16jake
Instructor

rjt if you would notice, i tend to ask about things first before i act. if i was really as stupid as you thought i would have bought the cars i inquired about. if something didnt seem fishy to me i wouldnt have said anything like the 20 other cars ive looked at. You sound like the type of guy who might have married the first girl you saw. Ow yea the only reson i was intrested in the sc with the old motor is because of the people i now who would have liked to buy the 73 moto. intentions of the car was to replace with orig motor. Maybe you should focus on bigger problems instead of making something out of nothing
Old 06-04-2003, 09:07 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A 1990 C2 Coupe with 160K miles is not selling for the $20's. Heck, he'd be lucky to get $15K. $12K does seem low but is worth a look. It is a 13 year old car and with that many miles, chances are the flywheel/clutch/distributor have been replaced and the head oil leak (if applicable) has been taken care of with a rebuild.

As many of us are, we tend to think the value of our cars is higher than reality. I sold my 1990 C2 Cab, 993 distributor, brand new 993 sport clutch and flywheel, brand new 993 front seats and completely recovered interior, aero mirrors, 17" C2 cup wheels, 122K miles, great looking paint, recent tune up with valve adjustment, in perfect mechanical condition and newer 993 canvas top for a whooping $18K.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:23 PM
RANDY P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<strong>The subject topic is a 1990 C2 for sale for 12K, not how many vettes are in the shop broke with engine trouble. I'm only commenting on oil leaks and engine issues not a porsche vs chevy debate. I all to well know all about oil leaks with a porsche 911 motor. BTW I am confused about a couple things if a porsche engine can go hundreds of thousands of miles without a rebuild then why are so many DOA with less than 100K? I see plenty of taxi cabs at the airport with american pushrod motors with over 200K on the engine all the time, Next time travling ask the cab drivers about miles on their cabs just some food for thought.

George</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I always thought the reason the Vettes aren't in the shop is that the owners feel they're not worth fixing properly. Any non - classic chevy is only worth duct tape fixes after the payments are done with. Taxicabs and a Porsche repair shop?

Ask yourself this: How many domestic cars do you see where the owners feel they need to maintain them much past the first few years of ownership?

If you want proof of the answer go past any trailer park George, and count the dead Chevy's..

PS: where's our dyno sheet?

rjp
Old 06-04-2003, 10:59 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 354 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry 16jake..... I guess I shouldn't have even posted on this thread. But you did ask for Rennlisters advice. I lost patience with your juvenile questions on your other topics. But since you are a juvenile, what other type questions would I expect? Most people have tried to steer you away from the Frankenstein cars you keep coming up with, but within a day or two you have asked advice on another one that anyone with more than common sense wouldn't even consider. If you are attracted to own something that no one else would want, then just buy it!
Have you bought Porsche Buyers Guide? Do you read Excellence or Panorama?
I suggested that you go to the Pomona Swapmeet. There are always lots of Porsches for sale in all forms of condition. But you said they were ALL too expensive. So it sounds like what you really can afford is someone elses headache! And there is nothing wrong with that if you are prepared to deal with the headache yourself and its remedies that it will need.
I truly wish you the best and buying a POS Porsche will be a great lesson that you will learn untold things about the car and yourself!

P.S. The Feb 03 Excellence Market Update shows a 90 C2 Coupe at $18552 for a low and $28238 for a high. When I stated previously that this could be a $20K car I was pretty close. Why would this car be worth $6K less than the LOW? Maybe because it needs $6K+++ to make it a driveable (enjoyable) car.
I think you need to decide for yourself!
Best of Luck!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 1990 c2 for 12kkkkkkkkk