OT BUT NEED QUICK ANSWER: want to buy airstream trailer w/no title

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,817 Likes on 2,851 Posts
Default OT BUT NEED QUICK ANSWER: want to buy airstream trailer w/no title

all,

i am relying on my fellow RL friends to help me out on a quick question. i found an airstream trailer that i want to purchase as a project. its in good condition but needs updating. i'll be using it as an office on our property.

the owner has no title and explained if i go to the highway patrol with the trailer they will inspect it, give me paperwork which allows me to use it and i have to wait 3 years to get the actual title.

my friend tells me its a good idea to get a notorized bill of sale and that can help the process along.

anyone have experience in ths endeavour?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents.....run the VIN, if no encumbrances, then probably something that can be worked out somewhat quickly....see post 5 in folowing link.

Airstream forum with other people who resolved the issue.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like post #10
Old 03-11-2012, 05:30 PM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know the particulars of Washington state law but I do know them for New York where I live and I assume they are similar so I will say this. If it is just going to sit on your property and you never really intend on moving it, you dont need to register it, but for ease of resale you should. In NY to register some thing like this you need the bill of sale and the former title. If you do not have the former you need proof that you own the vehicle. Some form or notarized document should suffice. In NY there is an option to create a title, this is simply some thing you check on the forms when filling them out.

You should run the vin and make sure it belongs to the guy who is selling it to you. If every thing checks out it should be a simple legal matter. Good luck with every thing.

Regards
Dave

Quick Reply: OT BUT NEED QUICK ANSWER: want to buy airstream trailer w/no title