Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Temp Gauge face

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Temp Gauge face

I use some of these guys products in my Hot Rods...nice stuff and just looked again and they make temp guage templates...
http://stores.newvintageusa-store.co...Categories.bok
Old 03-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

If you need numbers readily visible, those will work. Or, you can get close to you gauge, look to the left and see them deep inside the cutout, for reference.

I never had a problem with the stock gauge, once you know the correlation.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Ed, I've looked at those little boogers hiding in the corner...I don't have any real problems but it's nice to have a real numbered gauge for a quick glance...only $29 so one of the cheaper 911 upgrades.
Wasn't someone here or on Pelican selling a similar deal?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the numbered gauge. When I replaced mine, the stock one was fading so it was a natural modification. Very easy to do. I like led bulbs, so the led dimmer is interesting.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge overlays

Originally Posted by Reiver
Ed, I've looked at those little boogers hiding in the corner...I don't have any real problems but it's nice to have a real numbered gauge for a quick glance...only $29 so one of the cheaper 911 upgrades.
Wasn't someone here or on Pelican selling a similar deal?
Hope this helps:

http://newvintageusa.com/911modules

Gerry

Last edited by 1986 Targa; 03-05-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I, like Ed, adjusted to the hash marks quite easily (fading, aside)....I started to mod it,..but am glad I didn't now. Can easily tell you (quickly) what the temp is at any given time....old one is fine for me (and her!).

BEST!

Doyle
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC, the numbered gauges(temp) require a new sender. The temp sensor is calibrated in degrees celsius and will make a not-so-easy to read gauge unless the numbers are celsius. Adding numbers to the gauge in *F requires a new sender. No numbers and a general familiarity with your car gets the message across well. I do like the numbered gauges myself. I'm posting from memory, not a direct reference. Do some research before tapeing a new gauge face on your gauge.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
IIRC, the numbered gauges(temp) require a new sender. The temp sensor is calibrated in degrees celsius and will make a not-so-easy to read gauge unless the numbers are celsius. Adding numbers to the gauge in *F requires a new sender. No numbers and a general familiarity with your car gets the message across well. I do like the numbered gauges myself. I'm posting from memory, not a direct reference. Do some research before tapeing a new gauge face on your gauge.
Yup, right on the money.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
Yup, right on the money.
check the site...they have 3 dif faces for the dif gauges/senders and a link to show which one is correct for the dif guages or....
you've tried this and they still don't match properly?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like LEDs too. lve refrained from putting them inside the gauges because of the light quality/color and the dimmer situation as well. Porsche gauge lighting has been well researched by the factory and I don't tamper with it. Now I have built some cool(or hot) flashlights.
I think a crayon mark on the gauge glass can be very effective, but there is an easier way. It's an oil change. If you are good at changing your oil, or your shop, then your gauges will tell you a bunch. I always adjust the oil level to mirror the temp gauge. I like the oil level needle pointing directly at the temp needle which should usually be horizontal under normal operating temp. As oil temp goes up so should the level as oil expands when it heats. At a glance across the gauges, you will see whats happening from the info both of these gauges are telling you. The factory knows this and I think the temp curve in the stock sender is good for that reason. You'll never read numbers even if they are there.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge inserts.

check the site...they have 3 dif faces for the dif gauges/senders and a link to show which one is correct for the dif guages or....
you've tried this and they still don't match properly?
I changed the white/red insert on our '86 to a numbered insert and the values are spot on with the existing sender.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by whalebird
I like LEDs too. lve refrained from putting them inside the gauges because of the light quality/color and the dimmer situation as well. Porsche gauge lighting has been well researched by the factory and I don't tamper with it. Now I have built some cool(or hot) flashlights.
I think a crayon mark on the gauge glass can be very effective, but there is an easier way. It's an oil change. If you are good at changing your oil, or your shop, then your gauges will tell you a bunch. I always adjust the oil level to mirror the temp gauge. I like the oil level needle pointing directly at the temp needle which should usually be horizontal under normal operating temp. As oil temp goes up so should the level as oil expands when it heats. At a glance across the gauges, you will see whats happening from the info both of these gauges are telling you. The factory knows this and I think the temp curve in the stock sender is good for that reason. You'll never read numbers even if they are there.
Believe me, In Az in the summertime with ambient temps @ 115 degrees, you may want to read numbers.
I understand the volume/ heat issue...always pays to check your oil level at the same temp.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Believe me, In Az in the summertime with ambient temps @ 115 degrees, you may want to read numbers.
I understand the volume/ heat issue...always pays to check your oil level at the same temp.
It seems pretty easy to correlate needle position to temp, without needing numbers. I could tell at a split second glance while driving at the limit on the track (in high 90's temps, in Texas) when I needed to consider cutting a session short.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think it's an issue similar to the gas gauge.

Since the sender is calibrated for liters, not US gallons, the scale on the fuel gauge face must be skewed to track with the needle sweep, which is not linear. If the temp gauge is to be linear when read in F, the temp sender must be calibrated. Otherwise, yes you can make the temp gauge face track non-linearly with the needle.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think it's an issue similar to the gas gauge.

Since the sender is calibrated for liters, not US gallons, the scale on the fuel gauge face must be skewed to track with the needle sweep, which is not linear. If the temp gauge is to be linear when read in F, the temp sender must be calibrated. Otherwise, yes you can make the temp gauge face track non-linearly with the needle.
Oh, the angle of the dangle......

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge face