Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Before I pull the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I pull the trigger

I want some feedback before I buy an '86 Targa this weekend. I sold my 996 about a year ago after 8 years of ownership. I have been looking for a mid to late '80s 911 ever since. Want a car that was well maintained, never tracked or molested in any way...high miles were never an issue as long as the owner(s) were good to the car and took care of the car and it was really "loved". Long story short....I found a great car....excellent interior/exterior. 100k miles with all services completed Includes window sticker and all paperwork. 3rd owner. He wants $18k contingent on a PPI
What should I be concerned about....are there many large expenses coming my way(guides) is it a good price? I love the car and want to buy but want to get you frrdback first. thanks in advance for your honest app rails.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Gee 43 looks and not 1 reply....a bunch of helpful ****s you guys are on this board. I would have have been at page 3 on the 996 board....that should be a sign for me I guess...buy the car....enjoy the car....stay off Rennlist....especially the 911 boards. Thanks for nothing guys!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:06 AM
masterdave
Racer

18K is a fair price for that if its all in order. PPI is key, that will tell you a good deal about what is going on in the car. 100k is common for these cars, its getting harder and harder to find them under 100K at least in my area. I have always found that if you love the car enough you will just buy it (assuming every thing is in reasonable shape). As Im sure you already know these cars are great, they have some quirky issues but as do all Porsche's. depending on when it was last done you will inevitably have to do the guides. A few thousand at a decent shop in the area. The case rarely has to be tended to on these cars and the crank bearings last very very long. The key is good maintenance. I have heard whispers of some SC/Carrera's that were regularly driven, and well cared for, lasting up to 500K before having any work done on the engine.

With 100K, if it has not been tended to you may need,
New spring plate bushings ($50-$300 and a weekend to install),
Other suspension related bushings,
New gas shocks,
Wheel bearings,
I would change all the fluids when you get the car regardless of what the PO has done, just so you know where all the fluids are starting at,
Spark plugs, wires, distro cap and rotor,
All filters (air, oil, gas),
The heat and AC if you have it, systems on these cars are what they are, dont expect them to work like the 996, if at all. Some one once put it well, "heat is more of an idea than a reality in these cars" that being said the systems can work quite well if set up correctly.
There will always be the little things like head lights, interior lights, possible stereo issues, etc. etc.
You may eventually need new torsion bars, I dont know much about there life time but I know they have one,

If you are a perfectionist and want a concourse car then this car has 230954 issues. If you want a fun weekend car to drive around in, go a little fast and show off a bit, this car has no issues.

Regards
Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 03:28 AM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Great thanks Dave. I am having a PPI done at a Porsche shop in Ballson Spa, NY. Everything is original....Fuchs, Monterey radio etc...only mods are turbo tie rods, K&N intake and b&b exhaust. Paint and interior are great....4th owner with all service docs and original window sticker and dealer delivery info. My understanding is these cars are bullet proof as long as they are maintained properly. This will be a weekend, sunny day car for me....maybe 2k miles per year. I really appreciate your feedback. Have a great night
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 AM
masterdave
Racer

These cars are literally bullet proof, Jeremy Clarkson shot one with a 12 gauge on top gear and nothing happened, he got right back in and drove away.

Regards
Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Ha! Thanks brother you've given me faith back in Rennlist. 230 am and I am thinking about my new to me 911 and your helping me through my mind **** and a few stolis. Thanks....I'm making an offer in the morning...clear eyes, clear mind...I want this car and I'm buying it. Thanks Dave. Talk soon Mark
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM
ruflife
Advanced

If the PPI comes back good( i.e. leakdown, shifts well, etc. ) Get it home, change all the fluids, adjust the valves, clean up everything. Then drive it. Then you'll understand why it was hard to get a response. We're out driving these cars like we stole them - they just don't break or have the issues that the 996 has. I have a friend who is on his 3rd set of seats in his 85 - 469k on the motor with nothing but regular maintenance !!! The damn seats wear out before the motor - show me a car that does that. My 86 has 50k on it - at this rate it will probably be handed down to my great grandchildren - if it can be converted to solar/electric/water power or whatever the hell we're using then. 18k is a good number for a good car.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ninetynine996
Gee 43 looks and not 1 reply....a bunch of helpful ****s you guys are on this board. I would have have been at page 3 on the 996 board....that should be a sign for me I guess...buy the car....enjoy the car....stay off Rennlist....especially the 911 boards. Thanks for nothing guys!
A little demanding aren't we? Since I didn't see a smiley anywhere in your post...good luck in the 996 forum.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go a little easy 99. You came to the right place and you will get as much involvement in this forum as any other on R-list. I find Friday afternoon and the weekend slow in every Rennlist thread. 'Vintage' Porsche ownership requires patience.
You may as well s*** can the K&N, as well as the B&B. Those add nothing to the car in terms of performance(Actually detract from)and should not add to the purchase price. The B&B may flow a bit better than the stock exhaust, but sounds like f***ing s***.
If the 996 was your first Porsche, you probably won't understand the older car, or why they are so F***ing special.
Let us know if we can help.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the 86 have a short shift kit? That's worthless also. In fact it may cost you BIG if you are used to BMW, or 996 cable shifters.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Ninetynine996
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I'm usually not such an Ahole....I was up late and had 1 or 6 too many. Anyway, it looks like my deal is not going to happen....the seller wants me to "relax" and wait a month or so so he can see how many offers he gets when he officially puts it up for sale. Eff that...I'm excited to get back into a Porsche now and I'm not going to wait for his other "bids". Anyway, I'm looking for a '87 to '89 cab or targa or an early SC...weekend/sunny day driver....something that's been well maintained...if you know a nice car for sale let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Before I pull the trigger