Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Comparison of 930/964/993 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kingcrowing
So I'm planning on buying a 911 this spring/summer. I'm considering all of these models, obviously the 964 is going to (on average) have the cheapest entry point. But what about overall cost of ownership? So some need more regular service than others? Advantages or disadvantages, just thoughts in general of all three.

I think the 930 is going to feel the oldest (because it is), but it's also going to be the most raw. I currently have an E36 M3 and after driving a '89 964 C4 I feel like the M3 is just way too dull and numb.
Since you're looking for a weekend car, get either a 911 or a 930. I've had a 964 turbo and it was a nice comfortable car with ac, power steering..., but I still preferred my 930. IMHO, the driving feel and enjoyment is much better in 911 based car as the 964/993 leaves you a little more isolated.

Now, you can either choose a turbo, SC or Carrera. If you are a boost junkie, get the 930. If not, the SC or Carrera are both great cars as I have had both. I think the Carrera drives a little heavier than the SC, and the SC is a little torquier but that may be individual car differences. If you can, drive all three: turbo, SC and Carrera to see which you like better. I think you'll end up in the 911 forum.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:21 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you plan on using the car? Weekends only? DD?

I loved my 930 but to me it was best at highway cruising and hauling some pretty serious *** (they are fairly easy to power up to 350-ish HP with just bolt-ons). However, it felt heavy and was not as light on its feet as my SC or Carrera. The cars have antiquated HVAC so I don't think they'd make a very good DD - my opinion.

Loved my 993 too. It was a great all-round performer: fast, handled great (though upgraded to PSS9s before I thought so), pretty good HVAC. After buying my SC, though, it just felt too refined; I liked the older car's sound, handling (lighter, like how torsion bars ride), lack of power steering, etc. Again, would not make an SC a DD because of poor HVAC.

I ended up trading my Carrera race car for my 996. Not because I wanted a 996 but because I figured it would be easier to sell than a race car. What I didn't expect is how much I'd enjoy the car. I've had it on the track and it handles really well and has good power. It felt like night and day compared to my 993, even though the 993 had essentially the same rear multi-link suspension, upgraded sway bars, PSS9s, etc. Even the 996's looks have grown on me, though not nearly as much as the 997 or the new 991.

If you don't like the 996's looks, maybe consider the Cayman? I haven't owned one but have driven them. The Boxsters I've owned handled and rode GREAT, but a little flexy if that matters (seeing you're in HI, probably not much track opportunity) and not enough power. I could see a Cayman/Boxster S being a great option for fun, comfort, handling, and w/ the Boxster, open-air driving, which I bet would be awesome out there.

Anyway, my $.03 (my opinion is worth more than average ...

Quick Reply: Comparison of 930/964/993 ownership