Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Comparison of 930/964/993 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:44 PM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison of 930/964/993 ownership

So I'm planning on buying a 911 this spring/summer. I'm considering all of these models, obviously the 964 is going to (on average) have the cheapest entry point. But what about overall cost of ownership? So some need more regular service than others? Advantages or disadvantages, just thoughts in general of all three.

I think the 930 is going to feel the oldest (because it is), but it's also going to be the most raw. I currently have an E36 M3 and after driving a '89 964 C4 I feel like the M3 is just way too dull and numb.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:15 PM
masterdave
Racer

So here is the deal,

The 930 will be the oldest but because they were and still are iconic cars most if not all of the 930's out there were kept in pristine shape. I personally have never seen one that was not in mint condition. They are still wicked fast even by today's standards. Many people go for the 89 as that was the year with the 5 speed. That being said the 4 speeds are just as good from what I hear. I have an 78 Targa and love how close to the road it feels.

The 964 will give you some more comforts and just be a bit more modern. in general. That being said the 993 will continue to be more comfortable than the 964 and a bit more modern and functional.

It depends what you are going for. If you want a DD I would say 964 or 993. If you are looking for a weekend fun car I would go 930 hands down.

The 930 will cost a bit more to maintain as it simply has more going on with it. My general rule is the more moving parts the more issues you will have. on the flip side the 930 carries some what more respect than the other cars in my opinion. I know I consider the 930 to be the pinnacle of the 911's. The 930 will be raw and untamed which is what I would want out of the car.

Regards
Dave
Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like a 4 speed 930. There is just something really fun about coming out of second gear at 70 mph. Just by the numbers(which isn't completely fair); a 964 has 250hp, a 930 ~ 280hp and is kinda heavy. A 993 is around 290hp with varioram but has a 6 speed. Just by the numbers, they're all pretty close, but vastly different in feel. A 930 can be expensive to maintain/repair and by virtue of being older may require more. Also, every 930 out there has been flogged at one point or another.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:31 PM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

I found this 930 not too far away, I've never driven one so I may check it out some time to compare them. I'm just looking for a fun weekend car not a DD.

http://www.medwayimports.com/vehicle...chusetts-02053
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

Just an FYI....if you're looking for one of the cars listed, there are forums for each. You say you are looking for a 911, but the 3 models you list are anything but. This is the 911 forum, for 911's pre-89 1/2.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Just an FYI....if you're looking for one of the cars listed, there are forums for each. You say you are looking for a 911, but the 3 models you list are anything but. This is the 911 forum, for 911's pre-89 1/2.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
What is that supposed to mean?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:13 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by masterdave
The 930 will be the oldest but because they were and still are iconic cars most if not all of the 930's out there were kept in pristine shape. I personally have never seen one that was not in mint condition.
There are probably more POS 930s than any other 911 variant out there. I had less than one year old customer cars that were on their THIRD set of pistons and cylinders because of "boost crack." Everyone wanted a 1 bar wastegate spring back then, consequences be damned. And thankfully the grey market used imports of '87-'88 (of '76-'79 models, as that pesky 7 year old German recertification made them worthless over there, or so we were led to believe here) have all been beat to the point of no return over a decade ago.

That said, there are a few lovingly cared for near 100% stock cars out there. Buy anything but one of those at your peril. You'll pay now, but the car will be: 1. saleable, and 2. worth more down the road.

You have to drive a stock 930 to "get it." Some like it, most don't. Heavy clutch, incredibly wide gear spacing, and a long exhaust track, when coupled with mild cams and 7:1 (!) compression makes for a unique driving experience. Not to mention CIS after 25 years, and today's gas........
Old 02-26-2012, 04:02 AM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the reason the car is not in CA is that it could not be "smogged" with those mods. Watch out for broken head studs. 930s are great fun cars. It has been my experience, the fewer mods the better for a street driven car. They are expensive to keep unless you do the work yourself, shop around for parts, and are creative at times.
Bob
Old 02-26-2012, 08:59 AM
kingcrowing
Intermediate

I realize that, but I was kind of looking to see if I could get some opinions from someone who has maybe owned, worked on, or known people with multiple models who could give some feedback. I posted in the general form but I was advised to post here as the general form doesn't get much traffic.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kingcrowing
I realize that, but I was kind of looking to see if I could get some opinions from someone who has maybe owned, worked on, or known people with multiple models who could give some feedback. I posted in the general form but I was advised to post here as the general form doesn't get much traffic.
Your inquiring here is just fine. The three models you asked about are all 911's, contrary to some opinions. You could post your question in all the 911 derivative forums and get lots of opinions. Do, however, do a search using different keywords alined with your questions to limit thread openings to keep from annoying the grumpy posters.

If you really want lots of opinions, post your question in Off Topic, the users who frequent OT are very inviting to questions like yours and won't toss it back in your face.

If someone wants you to go somewhere else for information, let them post links to the information they obviously think you are looking for.

P.S. If you value the information you have received from Rennlist, please become a member and support this wonderful resource.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Wow, I'm impressed by your wisdom. I wish you would provide more input here.

My comment was absolutely warranted given the model numbers in the title. If I were looking for input on 930's, 964's and 993's-I believe I would go to the various forums devoted to those. I also saw a fairly new poster asking the question, so I was pointing out that there are differences. Not all of these cars are referred to as 911's in our world.

My comment about appropriate forums was not unwarranted. If you were perceptive enough to notice, and not so quick with the rolling eyes, you'd know there are an awful lot of people stopping by this forum for questions on 997's, 996's, etc These days, because they didn't realize there were subsets.

I wasn't rude to the OP, simply pointing out the facts. I really don't care if my reply to you is rude, or not.

Your inquiring here is just fine. The three models you asked about are all 911's, contrary to some opinions. You could post your question in all the 911 derivative forums and get lots of opinions. Do, however, do a search using different keywords alined with your questions to limit thread openings to keep from annoying the grumpy posters.

If you really want lots of opinions, post your question in Off Topic, the users who frequent OT are very inviting to questions like yours and won't toss it back in your face.

If someone wants you to go somewhere else for information, let them post links to the information they obviously think you are looking for.

P.S. If you value the information you have received from Rennlist, please become a member and support this wonderful resource.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Not a problem, Ed, I can take a hit. All your points are, in my book, correct and am always open to constructive criticism.

Wow, I'm impressed by your wisdom. I wish you would provide more input here.

My comment was absolutely warranted given the model numbers in the title. If I were looking for input on 930's, 964's and 993's-I believe I would go to the various forums devoted to those. I also saw a fairly new poster asking the question, so I was pointing out that there are differences. Not all of these cars are referred to as 911's in our world.

My comment about appropriate forums was not unwarranted. If you were perceptive enough to notice, and not so quick with the rolling eyes, you'd know there are an awful lot of people stopping by this forum for questions on 997's, 996's, etc These days, because they didn't realize there were subsets.

I wasn't rude to the OP, simply pointing out the facts. I really don't care if my reply to you is rude, or not.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not a problem, Ed, I can take a hit. All your points are, in my book, correct and am always open to constructive criticism.

Ha! And you're here and not on W.A. why???? I think you should......oh, that's right, I'm here too. Sorry!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No worries! We're all just trying to help.

Quick Reply: Comparison of 930/964/993 ownership