Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

When is a cheap price really a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 AM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is a cheap price really a good deal?

Hi all,

I'm a recent lurker and previous reenlister. I owned a 78 SC and a 90 964, but haven't owned a Pcar in about 8 years and I'm now ready to jump back in.

I was shopping for 996s, but a 3.2 G50 showed up on Craigslist that has piqued my interest.

The car has 305K miles on it. Engine rebuild about 50K miles ago. A lot of records but not all. The body looks straight and rust free, but it is NOT a concours car at all - plenty of nicks and dings, missing front badge, scrape on one wheel, a bit of rust near the windshield, tired interior. But the car does seem to be mechanically sound and perfectly drivable (I'm going to look at it tomorrow). Obviously a PPI is the smart move.

I know the logic: buying a cheap car can often cost you more than buying an expensive one. So my question is: assuming this car IS going to need plenty of odds and ends but that the engine rebuild was done well, how cheap would I need to get this car to make it a smart buy? (The asking price seems low.)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't buy a 996, they aren't as well made IMHO. All 911's are at least $15K cars, so if you buy it for less be prepared to make up the difference quickly.

So if you don't spend $15K on a 911, you will spend another $7K on the $8K car you buy.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:39 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

996s do have some pluses and at the dollars some of them trade at, you can get a nice car to drive pretty cheap.

As for that Carrera 3.2: I think the most important question is what you really want to do with the car? There is not a lot on these cars that can be truly restored cheaply. Where you will get upside down on the car quickly is if you buy it knowing that there are a bunch of items that need to be addressed.

IF you can buy the car and can drive it with little-to-no work, with PPI results that suggest a strong likelyhood that you will be able to continue to drive it for some time before major work is needed, then it might be a good deal as a driver.

If, on the other hand, you have visions of fixing it up to be a thoroughly nice car, then you will almost certainly spend more in the long run than a really nice, lower mileage sample could be had for today - even assuming you pay very little to acquire it.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
fronesis47
Instructor

Thanks for the responses!

I should have been clearer: I'm not looking for a restoration project or a show car. I love looking at immaculate 911s as much as anyone, but my main goal in owning one is to enjoy driving it. And I don't mind doing a bit of work on the car -- I did brake jobs and oil changes and other small stuff on my previous 911s -- but I probably don't really count as a DIY guy. If my choices are drive the 911, work on the 911 or go see a movie, I'm going to rank working on the car *last*.

This also explains why I am also looking at 996s and 986s. My 78 SC was the best car I ever owned (loved it more than the 964 or than my BMW M coupe), but I realize that an air-cooled 911 is now a very old car. I only plan to put about 3,000 miles a year on a car, so I'm looking to get one that I can drive and not worry about TOO much (I realize owning any porsche means worrying about maintenance a lot more than most other cars). I'm torn between my love of the classic 911 and my sense that it might work better for me to own a 996 or 986 - I haven't driven a boxster yet, but I suspect I may like driving it more than the 996.

That said, my question about this 3.2 G50 car was really only about driving it. I don't mind the nicks and scratches and tired interior. If the mechanicals are solid and I can expect to put 15k miles on it over 4 or 5 years without doing *major* work, then....
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Not trying to be a homer here, but I would avoid the 986 and the 996. My mechanic strong dislikes these cars and their build quality. 3K a year is nothing on a 3.0 or 3.2, my '85 has 166K on it and it handles everything I throw at it just fine.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,941 Posts

Originally Posted by fronesis47

I should have been clearer: I'm not looking for a restoration project or a show car. I love looking at immaculate 911s as much as anyone, but my main goal in owning one is to enjoy driving it. And I don't mind doing a bit of work on the car -- I did brake jobs and oil changes and other small stuff on my previous 911s -- but I probably don't really count as a DIY guy. If my choices are drive the 911, work on the 911 or go see a movie, I'm going to rank working on the car *last*.

This also explains why I am also looking at 996s and 986s. My 78 SC was the best car I ever owned (loved it more than the 964 or than my BMW M coupe), but I realize that an air-cooled 911 is now a very old car. I only plan to put about 3,000 miles a year on a car, so I'm looking to get one that I can drive and not worry about TOO much (I realize owning any porsche means worrying about maintenance a lot more than most other cars). I'm torn between my love of the classic 911 and my sense that it might work better for me to own a 996 or 986 - I haven't driven a boxster yet, but I suspect I may like driving it more than the 996.

That said, my question about this 3.2 G50 car was really only about driving it. I don't mind the nicks and scratches and tired interior. If the mechanicals are solid and I can expect to put 15k miles on it over 4 or 5 years without doing *major* work, then....
it funny but you are thinking just as i do...i always drove an sc then got into a 993C4 then a 993C2...test drove a 964 and loved the early feel and bought that but then got tired of the oil leaks and bought a 996.
since i currently own a very well sorted 996 with IMS upgrade(that i have sold this week)i can tell you the drivability of the 996 is really nice...they are incredibly smooth and comfortable... i want to upgrade to a TT however my budget is about $36K and hard finding the car i want so i might pull the trigger in an 82sc...i drove the sc 2 days ago and it was quite a difference getting behind the wheel...sort of the difference between the sc and my 356...when i drove the 996 for the first time i was amazed at the comfort and smoothness, yes people dog the cars because they are water cooled and have some issues but most porsche models have issues.
if you find a well sorted 996 with the proper upgrades i think you will be very happy...you should drive one and see for yourself.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
BlackSpyder
Instructor

You acknowledge you don't really enjoy working on the cars and you are correct the air cooled cars are fairly old by now.... based on that I would roll the dice and try and find a well maintained 02-04 996/986. I think the air cooled cars require a lot of TLC to remain enjoyable especially one with 300K on it. While the 996/986 should make a much better daily type driver. I would take your time looking though. It seems a lot on non Porsche people bought 996 and most of those I doubt were well cared for.. Most here will try to steer you away from the later cars. I agree with groovzilla go drive one and see what you think.

regards,

Mike
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all,
The body looks straight and rust free,...
a bit of rust near the windshield,
Rust anywhere is something which needs to be fully understood.

A G50 Carrera is a desirable car and will not go down in value if maintained. As with all used Porsches a PPI is mandatory. Annual maintenance on a 20+ year old Porsche is not going to as much annual mileage dependant as age related. I will repeat all used Porsche's cost the same, so if the initial price is too cheap you need to budget for the delta. In your description it may be the interior and cosmetics, I hope so for your sake.

The 996 was a low point for Porsche, and I doubt there will be any future upside for any of the 1999-2004 cars. There is nothing to recommend them.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,971 Likes on 2,941 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
Rust anywhere is something which needs to be fully understood.

A G50 Carrera is a desirable car and will not go down in value if maintained. As with all used Porsches a PPI is mandatory. Annual maintenance on a 20+ year old Porsche is not going to as much annual mileage dependant as age related. I will repeat all used Porsche's cost the same, so if the initial price is too cheap you need to budget for the delta. In your description it may be the interior and cosmetics, I hope so for your sake.

The 996 was a low point for Porsche, and I doubt there will be any future upside for any of the 1999-2004 cars. There is nothing to recommend them.
5 years ago i was the person ******* the 996. i swore i would never own one! - until i drove one!....the fact that the 996 market is in the toilet means a lot of car for the money. i'm not on the 996 bandwagon just experienced the car for the 1st time recently and very happy with the feel/ride/driveability...i was really concerned with the IMS issues and as long as it has been upgraded and the car has been well serviced, buyer will be happy. they are very nice cars.
it would be nice if more early aircooled guys would test drive the 996 to experience the feel.

i think the sc's as well as the g-50 series market will remain stong....its getting really hard to find a nice sc these days!!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
5 years ago i was the person ******* the 996. i swore i would never own one! - until i drove one!....the fact that the 996 market is in the toilet means a lot of car for the money. i'm not on the 996 bandwagon just experienced the car for the 1st time recently and very happy with the feel/ride/driveability...i was really concerned with the IMS issues and as long as it has been upgraded and the car has been well serviced, buyer will be happy. they are very nice cars.
it would be nice if more early aircooled guys would test drive the 996 to experience the feel.

i think the sc's as well as the g-50 series market will remain stong....its getting really hard to find a nice sc these days!!
While I do admit to being an air cooled guy, I did own a 996 from 2000 until 2004. I would agree that they are a very nice car and do everything well. Porsche like all manufacturers has to have lows and highs in their products relative to each other. The G series cars were one low point, and one could argue that that point was lower that the 996. Those cars have hit bottom and have stabilized. Due to Porsche's high production numbers during that period there are sill quite a few good ones available. All the issues are known and have been fixed by now. With the 996 the long term costs will IMHO not make them worth keeping alive. It was not a high point for interior quality and the styling now looks dated. Turbo's and GT3's are outside my critique, as they have a different engine case. The other issue which will not only effect the 996 but all subsequent models is the electronics. The more used the higher the future costs, as when the electronics go there will be little DIY, only module replacement ($$$$).

So your view on ownership is a key to the decision you make, short term buy and drive for a few years, or long term buy and own to enjoy long haul.

Now, I am in the long haul group as I have owned my 356 for 35 years and my '72 for 29 years, my others for a shorter period but no plans to sell any of them.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

X2
Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I wouldn't buy a 996, they aren't as well made IMHO. All 911's are at least $15K cars, so if you buy it for less be prepared to make up the difference quickly.

So if you don't spend $15K on a 911, you will spend another $7K on the $8K car you buy.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 PM
GPTurbo
Track Day

I owned 4 996s - two preowned and two new - and while I had pretty good luck with all of them they are getting long in the tooth and would caution against acquiring one now. The interior quality was pretty bad (the '99 was absolutely appalling with fading seats and dash) and the design has not aged well. I would suggest stretching for an older 997 if a "modern" Porsche is what you are looking for. Otherwise, take your time and find a good air-cooled one - it's worth the effort.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by GPTurbo
I owned 4 996s - two preowned and two new - and while I had pretty good luck with all of them they are getting long in the tooth and would caution against acquiring one now. The interior quality was pretty bad (the '99 was absolutely appalling with fading seats and dash) and the design has not aged well. I would suggest stretching for an older 997 if a "modern" Porsche is what you are looking for. Otherwise, take your time and find a good air-cooled one - it's worth the effort.
Or a 993 or an excellent 964.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Or a 993 or an excellent 964.
+1.......from a "wise" man!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You are to kind Tim!

Quick Reply: When is a cheap price really a good deal?