Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

how many drive with your kids

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2001, 01:37 PM
nostatic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how many drive with your kids

in your 911? The very cool Porsche commercial on Speedvision notwithstanding, I'm wondering how many of you end up lugging your kids around in your 911. Just trying to make sure I'm not being an irresponsible parent by subjecting my son to riding in a P-car. Although I think it should by all rights make him feel like the coolest kid in school...
Old 09-12-2001, 03:32 PM
Roman Mayer
Advanced

I have 3 girls. Twin six year old's and a 4 year old. I do not have them in the car that much but it is workable ( my wife would not go for a 2 seater ). We usually only go a few mile at most.

I am a little uneasy about the front passanger airbag when I do have all 3 in there ( when it's one or two they always go to the back seat). I move the seat down and all the way back tro keep her as far from the bag as possible. I have thought of disconnecting the bag and am curious if anyone has tried that.

My wifes car is a 00 Z71 Suburban when we all go somewhere together.

FYI they love driving in it.
Old 09-13-2001, 01:08 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only if they will allow me to put them into a straightjacket!
Old 09-13-2001, 09:01 AM
Paul Brewer
Advanced

I have a 10 year old and a 7 year old and if the SC moves they think that they have to be in it.
Airbags are nice to have, no doubt about it. However, the structural integrity of the 911 and seat belts make the car very safe, given it's weight and performance.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:20 AM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
When my girls were 10 & 11, I would pick them up from swim practice in the 911. The older one would say "go faster", and the little one would threaten to "tell mommy", so all scuh rides were (mostly) within legal limits.

I still have the photo of my then 12-year old daughter in her party dress getting into the 911 on our way to her 6th grade "prom". She loved driving up to the front of the school in that car. To this day, she is my PCA family member.

Richard
'87 Carrera
Old 10-26-2001, 03:44 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I haven't taken my 6 and 8 year out out yet but not from their lack of trying. They must ask dozens of times daily. My 73 did not have rear seat belts until this evening.

This weekend, when they ask, I'll be saying...ok let's go (and be the coolest dad).
Old 10-26-2001, 08:25 AM
Eric '86 Targa
Intermediate

This is an old thread - nostatic figured it out, bought a car, got in trouble with the wife and then sold it.

I drive with kids all the time. Sometimes three kids (UGH!). Just be very careful about open drink containers. I had a 1/2 gallon of apple cider (fresh from the orchard) dumped under the driver's seat the other day. Talk about a panic! I'm glad the seat comes out fast! And I'm also glad the DME is raised about .75cm above the rear footwell!
Old 10-26-2001, 11:12 AM
Billy B
Intermediate

Wink

I dont have kids , yet. But my nephews (4 & 6)just love my old 911. I dont have rear seat belts, so I dont take them far or fast, but we all enjoy a short trip to get some ice cream. (Not eaten in car!).
I promised my 11 year old niece she could have my car if she got into Yale. Now I am worried, she is too smart and too motivated!
Old 11-13-2001, 12:53 PM
WJG2
Intermediate

I have two girls, 7 and 12, and a boy, 14. All I drive in the summer up here in central Ontario is my 77 targa, so if they want to go somewhere and Mommy has the Suburban (they obviously wish for this scenario), we go in the 911. I had seatbelts installed in the targa seats and, although the two eldest are taller than their mom already, we manage. My son is dreaming of the day he gets his license, even though I've threatened to put a governor on the beast to limit it to 30 mph...
Old 11-13-2001, 02:51 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

My two kids (6 and 10 years old) are allowed to ride in the back seat of my -91 C2 Turbo on a strict "clean shoes, no drinks, no eating anything" basis.

With the bazooka looking Pioneer base dividing the two seats, they don't need to wear straightjackets, they can hardly move.

Staffan
Old 11-13-2001, 03:13 PM
realtime
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I take my two sons (9 & 5 y/o) out all the time in my '87 911 Cab - they are frequent participants in rallys and other club events and love being around the cars and members. The Cab design makes it more difficult for them to see much when they are in the back seats - that goes for when the top is up OR down. The back seat of the 911 is not bad compared to what I grew up in: the back "seat" of a Triumph TR3 (it was just a luggage space ~ 15" x 24") !!
Old 11-13-2001, 03:57 PM
Goat
Track Day

I went through a fair amount of thought about how to make the back of my '85 targa safe for my 5 and 7 year olds, turned out it wasn't really that hard to do. I bought 2 rear-seat 3-point belts (out of a 964) from LAPorsche (good guys) and posted a WTB ad for the 964 rear parcel shelf on Rennlist (the shelf comes with seatbelt roses) which was promptly responded to by several people who had converted to racers. Seat belts and shelf in hand, I had a local guy install them. The belt retractors bolt right into the firewall with the addition of steel plates to reinforce the sheet metal, the mounting holes were already there in my '85 (apparently, Porsche started delivering some of the ROW models with rear shoulder belts around that time, so I guess that the mounting holes were included in all models although the US didn't get the rear shoulder belts until '91 or '92; if anyone knows differently, please correct me), and the shelf goes right in with no mods. About an hour and a half of labor, most of the work being to modify the firewall sound mat to fit the plates in. You can also buy the roses alone from Stoddard's ($6.75 each) and mount them in your existing shelf, but then, of course, you are cutting holes in your original shelf; I chose to keep my shelf original, and safely stored away for the day I might want to go back to the stock configuration.

My kids are totally psyched every time we get to go out now, and they love the back seats because they are built to "kid" scale; they feel very proprietary about that part of the car. And I get to remember what it was like for me everytime I got to ride in my dad's '73S as a kid. I'm sure that I am ruining them for life for any sort of "average, normal" car; well, they can wait as long as I did to get their own slice of mechanical heaven!
Old 11-13-2001, 05:43 PM
Stephen Masraum
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive with my children in the car and would drive with anyone in the car. I think 911's are relatively safe, and that safety on the road is dictated as much by the driver as by the car and conditions. I don't race with my kids in the car, and I don't drift it around on/off ramps at 60 or 80 mph with the kids. Drive like you are transporting precious fragile cargo (which you are) and you will have done as much as you can that's in your power. Passengers in any type of vehicle can be hurt on the road, we can only do our best to avoid those situations.

Quick Reply: how many drive with your kids