Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

ACES IV additive experiment

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
Default ACES IV additive experiment

I'm going to start using this fuel catalyst in my '83 SC and see if it can extend my mileage thru increased lubricity primarily in my cylinders/top end/valve guides. I want to break 300K + miles with the performance and oil usage remaining about the same as it is now.
I've done as much reading as I can and want to give this product a run. I also talked extensively with Brian at BND about my car and circumstances.
I have driven the vehicle 2 thousand miles since purchase a month ago and have a record of the vehicles oil/fuel usage and the motors way of going.
This will be a test of oil/mileage and fuel mileage and seat of the pants.
I'm trying to keep my much less than 20k Porsche much less than 20K and just drive it.
I presently have 217 thousand miles on an unopened motor witha leak down test of between 4-6 psi each @ 215 K miles. The car runs well. Had the 15K svc done at the 215K mark.
Here are some references:
http://www.aces-worldwide.com/aces4.html
http://www.bndautomotive.com/page/page/901818.htm
http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/w...0ChevyBook.jpg

The last blurb is from Dave Vizard a guy that I have great respect for as an engine builder/tuner/racer

I have no affiliation with the product or distributors.
I'll periodically update with my 'findings'...
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Post one of those Wickenburg sunset picture sometime. Happy New Year!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

As you dont have a control group or any way of really comparing with a well kept motor with regular oil changes i think it might be tough. Good luck with your testing. Should be a neat hobby. if you want to do it right you would have to do an oil analysis after each change and see how many wear particles are in there and compare to a time you dont use the addative.. its the only real way to tell..
Old 12-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
As you dont have a control group or any way of really comparing with a well kept motor with regular oil changes i think it might be tough. Good luck with your testing. Should be a neat hobby. if you want to do it right you would have to do an oil analysis after each change and see how many wear particles are in there and compare to a time you dont use the addative.. its the only real way to tell..
True, I'm going to pull an oil sample at 3k (218K) prior to using the stuff for a baseline. Other than that tho it'll be mostly a seat of the pants deal and for fun.
OTOH, if my oil usage stabilizes and remains a constant over the long haul that would be a pretty good inicator of effectiveness (and what I'm hoping for).
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Have about 300 miles on the car using the ACES IV product and nothing major to report. There is a much stronger carbon smell in the exhaust so making an assumption that some deposits are being loosened up and expelled.
Talking too the maker he says real results show after about 1000 miles and that equates to better mileage in the short term (better lubricity for the pistons) but the long term advantage is lesser wear on the top end valves and piston rings.
I'm still using 91 oct. (highest avail in Az) but will switch too 89 on my next refill counting on the octane boost of the product.
We'll see.
My purpose is to extend the viable 'life' of my motor and remain at the 600 mp qt. the car ran at when I got it so it is a long term deal.
The one gallon of A IV should last me a year anyway based upon dosage.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

In your heat, I'm not sure I'd count on an external octane boost in lieu of the best pump gas you can get. Porsche heads are hemispherical and the spark pattern has a lot of shadow-not the most efficient burn pattern. Hence the shift to twin plugs as displacement and compression increases.

Detonation is just around the corner.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 AM
Reiver
Drifting

I'll watch/listen for the ping.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Also noted today that my oil is starting to darken up...had been perfectly clear for the 2500k prior. More carbon.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i was wondering about this. I dont know too much about internal combustion dynamics but thought it might be worth discussing. usually dark oil is of course signs of contaminates as the result of combustion. Is there not the possibility that if this stuff is actually effective and removes deposits gaps will increase and oil burning will increase ?

just thinking aloud
Old 01-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
i was wondering about this. I dont know too much about internal combustion dynamics but thought it might be worth discussing. usually dark oil is of course signs of contaminates as the result of combustion. Is there not the possibility that if this stuff is actually effective and removes deposits gaps will increase and oil burning will increase ?

just thinking aloud
That is very possible and I'd thought about that prior to using it. My plan ( I think I had a plan) was to not worry about consumption fo rthe next 1k miles just top up while this stuff does what it does.
Then start checking oil consumption again.
My leak downs at 214k were all 4-6 psi across all pots....hope that all wasn't carbon sealing everything .
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
That is very possible and I'd thought about that prior to using it. My plan ( I think I had a plan) was to not worry about consumption fo rthe next 1k miles just top up while this stuff does what it does.
Then start checking oil consumption again.
My leak downs at 214k were all 4-6 psi across all pots....hope that all wasn't carbon sealing everything .
Glad to hear of another 911SC just getting broken in at close to 300K! I have several customers that are over 300K in their SCs or Carrera 3.2s, and still run great with excellent compression and leakdown numbers. This proves that the key to longevity with these engines is to drive them regularly and let them warm up properly. The excessively worn valve guides and broken head studs tend to happen in the garage queens that sit a lot and/or only see short trips. The well-driven and maintained engines also tend to have less oil leaks.

As for fuel additives, I have never heard of the one that you are trying but we haves used Swepco 503 and BG 44K for years on all customer cars with great success---we simply do not have carbon or clogged injector issues on our regularly maintained cars, whether carb'd, MFI, CIS or EFI. DFI engines will need periodic de-carboning of the intake valves as fuel additives will not do that job, but that is another story . . .

As for carbon "sealing everything," that simply does not occur. In fact, excessive carbon buildup will cause excessive leak down due to buildup on valves, and severely under-maintained engines can have carbon build up in the oil control rings and eventually cause excessive blow-by. We are seeing this on the newer Porsche/BMW/Audi engines where the manufacturers recommend the insane 15K-20K oil drain intervals. Modern synthetic oil is great, but it can only keep carbon and other combustion by-products in suspension for so long.

Keep us posted and keep driving your SC!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Reiver
Drifting

I've heard the same from a shop owner in Phx. His experience with broken head studs is mosltly on older low mileage cars that were babied. Moisture allowed to sit and degrade the studs.
This stuff is cleaning whatever carbon exists, shows in the oil and you can def 'smell' the carbon in the exhaust (dif than an oil smell)...it also spits black moisture on the first cold start of the day that leaves a residue. I'm using the stuff as an upper cylinder/valve train lubricant but was told it def cleans old carbon deposits too.
No issues with performance, runs fine.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Today I drove quite a way into Phoenix to visit a Porsche specialty shop to check my CO since I've messed with the emissions stuff and to meet the owner.
About 65 dif Porsches there for work and one perfect 356 Convertable.
The owner did the CO and it was on the money, said my motor sounded great (I thought there was some valve clatter- he said no, sounds perfect so very happy).

Aces IV, 218,071 miles. I've added the Carrera oil cooler/fan unit, runs much cooler consistantly (40 miles highway @ 72 mph temp locked at 194 bottom line).
I drove 273 miles (adjusted down for speedo/odo error on my car) since my last check and used 1/3 of a quart. This would equate to 819 miles a quart. Thats an improvement.
This is mostly highway at 3k rpms and some town driving.
Anyways, my oil use is going down not up but some of the variables might be the oil cooler but not sure.
Also decarbonising the valves could provide a better seal.?
Unscientific but still a good deal.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

id say to early to tell , so many things can affect it , are you running a spreadsheet ? over 6 months would be a better estimate . Good start tho
Old 01-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Reiver
Drifting

I agree. Type of driving, temp etc. I'm keeping a log of miles and usage from the time I began using the stuff.
Could also be partially that the car sat for some months prior to my purchase and I'm driving it almost dailey....when I first got the car I'd have 3 to 4 drips under it overnight after a days driving. Now there is one drip.
I still have a strong carbon smell in the exhaust with no visible smoke.

Quick Reply: ACES IV additive experiment