Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Have to sell my baby, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The body panels are relatively inexpensive (restoration design is a short drive from here), so I will start by sorting that out and see where it goes from there. I have a body shop down the road that should give me a fair price on paint. As for the engine, I think I will search for a sound running engine to put in it and then maybe part out the 2.2. Not sure, but I do know that I don't want to sell it at a loss. For now it is my project and I will take it where I can.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:29 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I too agree with the guys FWIW.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I find that a strange mix: SC-G50 911-993. Seems like you leave out some good years....

Anyway, I found a superb '95 a year ago after a couple of months of searching-ended up being 18 miles from my house. A few others have purchased lately that have shown up on RL. They are out there.
Yeah Ed I have to either get earlier or later LOL.

I probably like the late 1980's cars better, but as I am still working here and there a bit on my top shelf 951, I might ought to look back to the SC and I like that rawness too. I think I might could do more of the work on the earlier cars, but I also like the Motronic. See where I am going? I my mind though I think it is likely that the all time best would be the 993's and over time be the most dollar wise. That is SHOULD I ever want something different. I just dont care as much for the Cabs and Targas though.

My all timer would be the Pearl 1994 Turbo Carrera. As I have said here they are all owned by gold hoarders or something. Of couse there were so few to start with. A fair amount of my stuff would go on the block to get one.

Yeah that 95 you have is GREAT looking and I am sure it is excellent all the way around.

Thanks for letting go OT in your thread for a post AGW. Good luck on your car.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Dave-not many 993's are being turned in for 911's, but certainly there are a lot of 996ers, and some 997's. The 993's bring a lot of the joy of the 911, and add some modernization, while still being pretty much DIY friendly.
No kidding.

And what were the problematic "magnesium crank case heads"??????? (100% of 911 heads are Al.) I get this is probably to point out the (supposed) problems that the Mg cases had, but certainly NEVER on a 2.2L engine. The 84mm bore engines can't generate that much heat............

Back to this car. Amazes me to see how the chassis deteriorate, and are half-*** repaired over the years, yet people blindly fly in to rescue these cars that are best parted out. And I get near-zero interest in my 100% rust free '73 coupe shell with real RS flares.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 AM
masterdave
Racer

I apologize for my comments on the magnesium crank case heads, I was under the impression that all the engines 2.7 and prior had issue with them.

As for the 993, that was only because I had seen 2 993's for sale recently from owners looking for classic 911's
Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For the $6,500 you have in it I'd just make it fantastic yard art. Park it right in front of your house and tell your neighbors to suck it.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM
AGW911
Instructor

Originally Posted by race911
Back to this car. Amazes me to see how the chassis deteriorate, and are half-*** repaired over the years, yet people blindly fly in to rescue these cars that are best parted out. And I get near-zero interest in my 100% rust free '73 coupe shell with real RS flares.
This was my first 911 purchase. I was in Afghanistan at the time and blindly trusted the PO in his description of the vehicle. I had someone look at it that wasn't familiar with typical rust areas. All in all it is a text book case of what not to do, but I can't afford to start over so I will try to make the best of it.

Just out of curiosity, what does a rust free 73 shell with real RS flares go for?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AGW911
This was my first 911 purchase. I was in Afghanistan at the time and blindly trusted the PO in his description of the vehicle. I had someone look at it that wasn't familiar with typical rust areas. All in all it is a text book case of what not to do, but I can't afford to start over so I will try to make the best of it.

Just out of curiosity, what does a rust free 73 shell with real RS flares go for?
Again, I'm not sure you can afford to go forward with this. The money you may lose shedding this car may be the best money you ever spent. I know nobody wants to **** money away, but you really need to look at this from 50,000 feet. I'm only offering you this advice based on my experience fixing up my car and helping some others with theirs. That, and hanging around places like this while you were doing something more important by being off serving your country in a dangerous place.

Best of luck either way, and take this advice as my .02, for what that is worth.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I think Ed's got the best take on it. I would either part it, or sell for a loss and move on.

The dollars to bring this car up to a standard that you would be happy with are probably going to be ridiculous in the long term.

Yeah, we all think we will save lots of $$ doing it ourselves and that is won't be too bad spreading the cost out over the long term. But the realities for those of us who can't do this for a living are:

1) Even doing all the work yourself, it still gets very expensive to do it reasonably well (ask me how I know).

2) It will take way longer than you expect and you will wake up one day realizing if you had listened to us, you would have been able to buy a pretty nice P-car by then and actually be driving the thing.

Fixing up a basically solid 911 is already expensive. With the kind of rust damage you are (likely) looking at, it will be very difficult to get the tub "good as new" and, frankly, if I couldn't be assured of that, I wouldn't dive in. Saving rust buckets is very Don Quixote! People will shame you into "saving these old classics" when it is not their time or money!!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 AM
AGW911
Instructor

I have a lot of respect for the opinions and advice offered on here. I have read and followed a lot of the projects people have completed. Ed, I have the utmost respect for the work you hvae done to Ruby and see that you care for her like your own child. Your opinion is one that I watch for in every "what should I do " post.

I already have the pass side floor panel. I got it for free since the press ripped one of the edges. Luckily the portion I need is undamaged. Since i only have about 100 into this above the purchase price I will continue with the floor repairs and the rest of the discovery process. I will decide then whether or not to continue.

I am not in dires straits by any means. I was hoping to recover the purchase price in order to take advantage of a business opportunity that has come up. I think I can stll take advantage of it and keep the car. So the advice from everyone has made that decsion much easier.

i will keep all of ths great advice in mind as i proceed. I am deploying again soon, so I will have to make the time in between, but I will definitely keep you all posted.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:08 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

wow i think you have your mind made up your not selling at a loss right now small loss now or big loss later i respect your descision some life lessons are tough
good luck with it.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:29 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

When I first read your post and then advised you to cut your loss short and sell it without putting any more money into it, I assumed you had not done your home work and made a bad decision. Based upon your statement that you were deployed at the time of the purchase, and placed your faith in the seller and a looker that was not up to par, I want to extend my opinion of the matter.

First off, I think anyone reading this will have the same reaction that I have and be REALLY angry, as in pissed off and ready to fight. I think this is one of those times where we should feel an obligation to assist our military personnel.

IMO your money should be refunded and maybe Fraud charges against the person who did the deed. Unfortunately, I am not a lawyer, politician, or Mafia knee breaker. So, I am going to attempt to enlist some help from the fellow 911 gang.

If you can post the state where the transaction took place and the date, maybe there is a lawyer in that state that can/will step up to plate. Maybe someone here knows of a patriot lawyer.

This is egregious and unacceptable behavior toward a deployed serviceman. This is not acceptable.

If any of you guys can help this warrior, or know how we can help him—it is our obligation to do so.

If anyone wants my phone # for a temporary message center, I will send it.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:45 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jakeflyer...really nice of you...but, the op had a guy checked the car. If I remember correctly a lot of the guys here warned him about rust issues with this year car. Some tried to talk him out of it. Just like now some are trying to recommend he cut his losses and move on. At the end of the day he has to take responsibility for the decision he makes.

I have a soft spot for people in the military, mainly because I served 24 years. But in no way do I think someone purposely took advantage of him because he was deployed. Unless of course I'm missing something.

Bottom line is that a lot of good advice is given here on a daily basis but no one can make anyone take the advice.

AGW911, good luck with the car whichever route you take, but most importantly, be safe on your next deployment.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:53 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

OK, thanks for the informaiton.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:41 PM
oldtimer
Racer

Originally Posted by AGW911
The body panels are relatively inexpensive (restoration design is a short drive from here), so I will start by sorting that out and see where it goes from there. I have a body shop down the road that should give me a fair price on paint. As for the engine, I think I will search for a sound running engine to put in it and then maybe part out the 2.2. Not sure, but I do know that I don't want to sell it at a loss. For now it is my project and I will take it where I can.
I hope its not too late to advise you , I know a week is a long time in politics!

My advice would be to sell on and bear the likely loss. Speaking from the perspective of the UK market , where the weather may not be too different to Ontario (!) , Targas are not well regarded as they are even more prone to rust than a coupe (arising from leaking roof seals). So in general they are not a good business case for restoration. Next up , the most sought after early cars are 'matching numbers' ie with original engine /gearbox. Your car will never be in that category and if ever you want to see the money back that you are likely to put in then be careful.

If you still go ahead then do spend $$$ money on bringing that 2.2 E engine up to 2.2S spec running on MFI , that will be a rare pleasure to enhance the driving experience and soundtrack
Old 12-24-2011, 04:36 AM
AGW911
Instructor

jakeflyer, thanks for the support. I don't believe the PO took advantage of my particular situation. He dd misrepresent the condition and used some old photos of when the car had been repainted to show the work had been done. The discrepencies could have been easily detected had I been able to look at it myself, but that wasn't possible. The person I had look at it probably wasnt the best person to look at it for me. In the end the decision was my own and I am the only one to blame.

There were a lot of cautions thrown my way on the board, but given my situation and my eagerness to own my first 911 I didn't realize the gravity of the situation. Again, my fault.

I am pretty sure i will still keep it. I know that it might not be the best idea, but the truth of the matter is that if I sell it now, it may be a while before I am in a position to buy another one. So for now I will plug away at what the budget will allow and go from there. Just to make things clear, I'm not looking for any sympathy here (and rightfully so I haven't gotten much here !!!) and look forward to learning more and more about my car. Albeit the hard way!!

Quick Reply: Have to sell my baby, need some advice