Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??

This is my first post as a rennlist member. I have been after a buddy of mine to sell me this car. It is a 1978SC Targa. It belonged to my buddy's late father and has been sitting on the street in front of his house for the past 6 years..It has had a leaky roof and windows for most of the 6 years, is rarely driven, and is collecting a really good layer of moss. The paint is almost completely gone, the seats and most of the interior are completely shot, and I believe there is a good chance of rusted floors...... The good points are........It has been in the same family since new with no accidents and I believe I can get the owner to part with it for $1,000 or less. I have extensive knowledge, a good shop, and have rebuilt several cars so 99% of the work will be done by me.

My question for everyone is this.....

For $1,000 or less, is this car worth it for a DIY restoration??
Attached Images  
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Wreckster
Track Day

Go give it a good examination, if you think it can be saved, then I would say go for it. Is it running?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:52 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes... If you have the time and lots of money..... If you don't have both, don't do it.

But.... If you want a project car and in it for the long run, it will be very rewarding. You should check out pelican parts, those guys will eat that 78 up.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

For a thousand bucks it's certainly worth the price of entry! no brainer!
1. 3.0 ltr engine core 1500.00
2. 915 trans core 750.00
3.four 16'' fuchs 1000.00
4. non rusty chassis 1500-2500
5.SC alum susp comp 1000.00
total $ 5750.00
Surprise you just earned $4750.00 based on your friends largess or ignorance however you care to
look at it..Bert
Old 10-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it isn't rusted then go for it! Where is the car located? Has it sat through winters?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

For $1,000, you can certainly make money on it as a parts car, if that is something you are interested in undertaking.

Buying it to restore is a more problematic case. Some things to consider:

1) What are your goals? A very ratty driver, or a nice car? This car could be made into a ratty driver, but even that will likely take thousands of dollars. If the car was basically neglected for so long, one must assume that there is a high likelihood of many things needing to be refreshed on the mechanical side. Even just doing the minimum work, you will still spend a lot of money (even doing the work yourself).

2) I would not assume that this car’s body structure is solid and rust free. It may be, but with those leaks, and the external panels as badly weathered as they are, you really have to be prepared for significant rust issues. The galvanized cars are more rust resistant, but there are still plenty of rusty SCs (and Carreras) out there...

3) If you have dreams of making this car truly nice, then do yourself a favor and forget them. The amount of money it will take will prove to be ridiculous compared to what you can buy a truly great SC for.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^ Good info.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:37 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
If it isn't rusted then go for it! Where is the car located? Has it sat through winters?
It is a Seattle car that sits dormant 364 days per year......
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 500_19B
For $1,000, you can certainly make money on it as a parts car, if that is something you are interested in undertaking.

Buying it to restore is a more problematic case. Some things to consider:

1) What are your goals? A very ratty driver, or a nice car? This car could be made into a ratty driver, but even that will likely take thousands of dollars. If the car was basically neglected for so long, one must assume that there is a high likelihood of many things needing to be refreshed on the mechanical side. Even just doing the minimum work, you will still spend a lot of money (even doing the work yourself).

2) I would not assume that this car’s body structure is solid and rust free. It may be, but with those leaks, and the external panels as badly weathered as they are, you really have to be prepared for significant rust issues. The galvanized cars are more rust resistant, but there are still plenty of rusty SCs (and Carreras) out there...

3) If you have dreams of making this car truly nice, then do yourself a favor and forget them. The amount of money it will take will prove to be ridiculous compared to what you can buy a truly great SC for.
Mechanically, I always assume the worst. I just want to bring this one up to a respectable level and enjoy it for what it is...... If I decide I need a more pristine example of an SC, I'll go out and pay for it. I love bringing cars back from the dead and this is a prime candidate. Only thing in the way now is sentiment.

Can anyone here think of a better platform for a "just for fun" restoration?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for fun...get a VW beetle
Old 10-27-2011, 06:48 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whalebird
Just for fun...get a VW beetle
Yeah, right.

"Just for fun restoration" implies that I won't be going overboard, just doing what is reasonable............
Old 10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

Just for fun?

"No way" would be my answer...

IF you end up having a head stud break, it will get very expen$ive (and that car, based on its year and how it has been sitting, is a prime candidate).

Again, parts car is a good possibility. If you want to restore one, start with one that is in a lot better shape to begin with (there are plenty out there, that can be had for relatively little $$). Even then, you will likely get upside down pretty quick.

I speak with some knowledge of how much this stuff all costs, doing your own work... It is FAR from trivial.

A just for fun restoration needs a car for which the fundamental cost base of parts is not so high. The 911 motor is full of expensive bits and pieces and it just is not cheap, as in "multple-thousands of dollars" not cheap.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Just for fun with a 911 most assuredly requires more cash than you'll imagine. Good parts, new or used, are not inexpensive.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:14 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Just for fun with a 911 most assuredly requires more cash than you'll imagine. Good parts, new or used, are not inexpensive.
I'm aware that these things cost money. I'm driving a V12 BMW and can assure you, parts for that aren't cheap either.....
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B

I speak with some knowledge of how much this stuff all costs, doing your own work... It is FAR from trivial.
I've been on this train too, see the "fun" red car to the left? That coulda been a nice 996 GT3 at this point. But, it was fun to build.

Quick Reply: Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??