Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by techwrench
Any other V12 owners here that can support my claim??
Yes. 1997 S600.

I still think money will be the only thing that beats emotion, but upping your entry cost greatly reduces your ability to have any "fun." Give your friend first right of refusal when you sell it. If you don't plan to sell it, or he doesn't have the money, then bummer.

Brett
Old 11-14-2011, 07:41 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Yes. 1997 S600.

Brett
Nice to know someone else feels my pain! Do you work on it yourself?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Nice to know someone else feels my pain! Do you work on it yourself?
Yeah, I do all my own work. The S600 is being a real pain right now. Apparent electronic throttle body issues (or related) that I've been battling without complete resolution for some time, and some other things suddenly cropping up as it has been sitting more and more lately. I'm pretty much decided that it has to go to shrink our fleet size and help fund the 911's engine rebuild, but its potential sale value keeps plummeting with every dash warning light that pops up on each drive. LOL

FWIW, I pulled the 911's engine just to replace a broken head stud (actually to replace all the exhaust side studs). Then it became a full top end job, and now is a complete case split rebuild requiring crankshaft regrinding due to wear issues not forseen upon tear-down. It added up very quickly... may be around $5-6000, and that's with used replacement pistons and cylinders and me doing all the labor (but also includes new full clutch kit). Something to ponder as you think about this 1978 911SC that is in much worse condition than mine.

Brett
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Yep, drive by wire can be challenging. Had to tear both of mine apart to correct intermittent issues right when I bought the car.....they were totally gummed up and nasty.....haven't had a problem with them since.

I joined this board for a reason and am SO glad I did. All the warnings coming from everyone are certainly making me lean toward finding one in better shape. I have a local guy that only works on air-cooled Porsches keeping his eyes open for me as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Yep, drive by wire can be challenging. Had to tear both of mine apart to correct intermittent issues right when I bought the car.....they were totally gummed up and nasty.....haven't had a problem with them since.
My problem started when I took them out to clean them. They weren't really that dirty to begin with, and I wish I had never touched them... I was replacing the intake boots, one of which had a tear, and thought, "Well, why don't I do something good for the car and clean the throttle bodies." Turned out to be a bad idea.

Good luck hunting down a 911 or with working over your friend...

Brett
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

mercedes have a host of electronic issues...can be a bitch... these are cars you have to PPI up and down and all around before purchase!!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:31 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
My problem started when I took them out to clean them. They weren't really that dirty to begin with, and I wish I had never touched them... I was replacing the intake boots, one of which had a tear, and thought, "Well, why don't I do something good for the car and clean the throttle bodies." Turned out to be a bad idea.

Good luck hunting down a 911 or with working over your friend...

Brett
Ouch! That's an expensive item to replace too..... I hate to ask but....have you tried pulling them apart again? Probably have I'm sure but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for the luck! My friend will probably let it rot where it sits unless I hound him....not really my style. Just upsets me to see it go to hell. I remember looking at it as a kid and marveling at how beautiful it was.......shameful to see what it has become.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by groovzilla
mercedes have a host of electronic issues...can be a bitch... these are cars you have to PPI up and down and all around before purchase!!
Groovzilla.........Seeing as how you are in the Seattle area as well........How many more winters can that thing take?.........in your opinion.....It's already shaping up to be a brutal one.....

NO fair saying "well, it's already seen too many"....
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

...All the warnings coming from everyone are certainly making me lean toward finding one in better shape...
I would bet very good money that this can save you a TON of $$ in the long run...
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 500_19B
I would bet very good money that this can save you a TON of $$ in the long run...
Agreed....I'm also searching for a 911 that HASN'T been beaten to hell but have yet to find the right combination of "stock" yet rough around the edges. Personally, I'm not one to buy something that has already been customized and/or restored......That isn't what I'm after. I'm looking for something that needs help.....That has been a hobby of mine since before I could drive (legally).......and also a way to maintain my sanity.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Go look for a similar year in better shape and buy it . Then you have the peace of mind of knowing you have a parts donor car just sitting waiting if you need it
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM
masterdave
Racer

If you are going to buy it then part it out im looking for an oil tank and 11 blade fan for my 78SC...
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
techwrench
Intermediate

Originally Posted by masterdave
If you are going to buy it then part it out im looking for an oil tank and 11 blade fan for my 78SC...
Parting out is not in my plans. IF the owner ever sells it......and that is a big IF......I wouldn't be able to part it out. Sorry.

At least that's what I'm saying now.......What is the likelihood that the chain tensioners are the originals, or that the Carrera pressure fed update hasn't been done??

Last edited by techwrench; 11-15-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:14 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 2,870 Posts

its tough on a car just sitting like that...brakes/seals/etc. ...really ashame nobody took care of it.

but like many have stated the parts along are worth money and personally i would be thinking along those lines as oppossed to doing any sort of restoration on a 911sc car. the numbers just wouldn't make sense i believe even if the guy gave you the car.

i'm always looking around for 911's and i found a nice 79sc w/rebuilt engine for $11.5K that will need a little tlc but solid driver and all there. car is in san francisco area and if you PM me i can discuss it w/you and give you the guys info.

i have no affiliation just found it and emailed the seller to get all the info.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:21 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Ouch! That's an expensive item to replace too..... I hate to ask but....have you tried pulling them apart again? Probably have I'm sure but I thought I would ask.
Well, I didn't take the throttle bodies apart myself. I've had them on and off the engine several times, sent them to BBA-Remanufacturing for a "rebuild," but I believe their "rebuild" is a liberal use of the word. When they came back, I will admit the frequency of the throttle body fault/limp home mode was reduced, but it still occurs. That was three years ago. I sent the throttle bodies back to them just recently for a warranty repair, and they said there was nothing wrong with them based on their bench testing. When I put them back on, I swapped them side to side. I'll see if the fault code follows the throttle body. It may simply be time for a new throttle body, but they're insanely expensive new from the dealer. You could buy an OK condition, running used S320, 420, or 500 for the same money.

I had the car parked for three weeks while the throttle bodies were out, and when I got back in to test drive, the dash started lighting up like a Christmas tree. ESP fault, ABS fault, SRS fault. WTF. Never had ABS or SRS faults before... Unfortunately, it's rapidly becoming a piece of unsellable ****. I wish I had the space to part it out. Sorry, for rambling on this diversion. Had to vent a bit.

Brett

Quick Reply: Dilapidated Porsche worthwhile??