Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Proud to be part of this great family.
Yours sincerely,
dr. w00t
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

back on line here at work. No computer@ the house right now.
w00t...you are a GREAT part of the clan.

Doyle, I will call you a bit later to nail down the parts deal. As for derailing this thread, this is YOUR thread guys.

I would like to clarify, this is the comp-cond hose that is entirelly contained in the engine bay...somewhat short in length.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:12 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Bird......it is that small hose running from rightside of condenser to the compressor (as viewed FROM the rear in real life....I think PET takes a different viewing angle..... I will post a scanned pic from PET,..and my summary parts list for proper repair.

Karma,..you gotta' love it.

BEST TO ALL!

Doyle
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Welcome TB! And Congratulations! Any friend of WB's is a friend here for sure.

I agree with Ed re: 49F. R-12 normally blows pretty cold.

Doyle, I think the first thing is to cap off the hose, or wrap it with strong tape to keep atmosphere out. I think your R/D will be ok. I'd then do an evac and leak test to be sure there are no leaks. That hose can be easily replaced by any AC shop. It commonly fails because the engine lid is always folding and unfolding it. I replaced the rubber mount, which is too bendy and eventually always tears, with a solid metal lug spacer with a long bolt through it.

I was trying to encourage folks on Pelican to be gentle on their airboxes, because they can be difficult to replace, like distributors. I don't think they were listening. It's not easy to fix them either. Someone needs to invent a new lid fastening system for the factory airboxes.
Rusnak,

I can tell you that plastic weld won't do the trick! Tried it this weekend (while getting my plugs changed out and cleaning time with the ICV and AFM),..and only had it break upon applying tension.....looks like I'm gonna' have to replace this box.......I think the dealer can get me one (new) for couple hundred bucks (that includes the PCA discount).....I'll be damned if I'm going to drill holes and mount some bracket arrangement that will lock it down...my fear is to have a nut vibrate loose and find it's way into the intake....I'd NEVER take that chance....a new one will work JUST FINE!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch, Doyle! Yes, a new part always beats every other option.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Sorry, if it pinched, Rusnak.......wasn't meant to... I've seen a few of these repairs on various threads and I cringe when I see the attached metals (brackets, bolts, washers, nuts) that would be mounted to an airbox,...

You were right....there's a LOT of tension on those clips.....I was convinced my plstic-weld would work...later on in the day (after the ICV cleaning and plugs), I gave my repair a respectable tug and was convinced it would withstand what the clip had to offer....Nope,..notta..just like you said: "it's not easy to fix 'em" (right, that is !!!!)..at least I tried,.....a new one will be ordered soon.......would anyone know if their are any specific differences b/w 87-89 airbox? I wouldn't think so, but will study PET a bit.

Hope you're doing just fine today, Rusnak!

And,..dr. Woot,..GREETINGS to a fellow proton.........I enjoy your posts!!!!!!! BEST to you and yours'!!

On to parts breakdown for AC repair.......oh yeah: "cool" thread. "Cool", that WhaleBird and others advising on the repair.

Doyle
Old 06-13-2011, 05:07 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by whalebird
I feel a statement of thanks to a fellow R-lister is in order. I wanted to make that gesture here amongst my nucleus p-car friends in the 911 forum.
Yesterday evening I was given the opportunity to cross off a "bucket list" item that would have normally never have happened.
Some of you may know that I am a fan (understatement) of the band RUSH. For close to 3 decades I have grown up with the music and influence of this band much to my betterment, and meeting the members of this band has been a dream. I met Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson yesterday thru the sole efforts of a fellow Rlister/Porsche enthusiast/RUSH fan.
Doyle (Dshepp) arranged for this meeting with great effort. 3 weeks ago I received two, 7th row/center stage tickets (for last nights greenville NC show)by fedex from Doyle as a gift...thats right, he gave them to me. Earlier this week he contacted me with the news that he had also arranged for me to have "meet and greet" passes to meet the band before the show and I just had to pick them up at will-call. GASP...you what? Thats right, he gave them to me. Doyle had to orchestrate this for me over a period of time; making phone calls, copius emails...asking for BIG favors. He put forth a great deal of effort on my behalf, and we've never met.
I don't intend for this to start a discussion about RUSH, ther's an OT thread for that. I do want to illistrate that the fellowship of Porsche owners is tremendous.
Doyle, you've acted with an uncommon grace. Your generosity, thoughtfulness, and kindness will never be forgotten.
I walked into the store this morning and the checkout lady said "you look like your having a good day". "I am" I replied. I feel redeemed in a certain capacity not for having met "THE band", but for benefitting from such a selfless and thoughtful gesture.
Cheers to Doyle and to the Porsche community.
Pic below...I'm the guy in the middle.

In response to Scott's post, as related to his closing comment: "I feel redeemed in a certain capacity not for having met "THE band", but for benefitting from such a selfless and thoughtful gesture",....GEEZE, I couldn't have rx'd a better response, for that was it's intention. We all meet people, (characters, if you will) all day, every day. There are moments when things (or people) "click"......and the common denominators of "humanity"-or graciousness''-or selfishness/thoughtfulness seems to illuminate...I call it (to steal a RUSH lyric) "the available light" (you RUSH freaks know what I'm referring to). And, one must make use of it....seems to be a bit easier as you grow older,..and a natural thing for me.....

I told Scott that his "experience high" was well-below the high I felt for having phased the moons properly, .............but , now, I'm keenly aware that I uttered an overstatement,....as Scott "gets it"......and in the "fashion" that it was intended.....(although NOT quite sure I would call it redemption, other than the societal redemptive properties it may possess , to demonstrate that there exists (still) goodwill among us all.

Wait till next time, Scott. If my good friend (fellow sound engineer) can land the mon/mix assignment (contract) on the next tour, we'll be sitting side stage all nite!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE RUSH,...

Doyle
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Well,...Scott has taken care of my parts order,..and I should be back "cool" within a week or so....What a frikin' guy..........I'm very grateful!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Man,..did I mention that I'm a fan of Karma?

DS
Old 06-13-2011, 07:42 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Doyle, heck no, I was feeling YOUR pain. I agree, you gotta try a fix before chucking the airbox.

I get a huge "rush" by helping others, and I know that our esteemed Whalebird is one of the most deserving, for helping us poor DIY shlubs for so long!! I appreciate what he brings to this forum, and I say for such a righteously cool thing that you did!!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Redeemed...I do have a (tighter) hold in faith of the goodness of humanity. Awesome experiance.
Parts on the way Dshepp.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Thanks Scott. Looking forward to my first AC repair!!!!!!!!!! Appreciate the help, for sure.

Thanks, again, Rusnak....it's amazing how Scott remembers what he does (now that he's a master woodsman!!!!!!!!!!

Best!

Doyle
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Scott, do you make outdoor furniture? Say commercial grade benches, and tables? I eould bolt them to a concrete slab, and they'd be in direct sunlight. Shoot, put your name on them and I'll sell them out here.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Parts not here yet. Just called and they are "out for delivery". It looks like I will overnight them tomorrow to you Doyle.
Rus, I am not making outdoor furniture right now. I have made a bunch in the past with great success, but am toying with different materials. Our mainstay is chairs, specifically "greenwood" chairs, handcrafted with material that has a prescribed amount of moisture still in it. When assembled correctly the moisture is dried naturally and the structure of the chair is tightened permanently. I have found that our naturally dried hardwoods can actually mildew or "rot" from the inside out when they posses moisture inside and are sealed for weather protection. This varies from wood type(species)and the best thing is to not finish them at all or use a mixture of natural oils. Oak is common for outdoor stuff, but I use Ash which is much better because it has comparatively little tanic acid. We cannot use soft woods like pine, cedar, hemlock(evergreens) as the "magic" doesn't happen with the whole moisture/joint structure process. There are no glue or nails in the structure of our chairs.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Scott, that's fascinating. I wonder if we can sell them out here? The economy absolutely stinks right now, but it would be interesting to test market something.

Quick Reply: of deep gratitude