Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Purchase a car with broken odometer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Id say most here know how easy it is to remove gauges from a 911

You stated "lots" broke, and that you'd be skeptical on any of them, in so many words. That is what i refer to as BS. I'd say it is a VERY small percentage that have odometer issues. I only see a comment or question on odo breakage just a handful of times, maybe, a year.

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Uhh, what part is BS?

Is it BS that you can disconnect an SC's speedo by simply sliding it out of the dash and disconnecting the wires?

Is it BS that lots of these speedos have been replaced over the years? "Lots" is a pretty vague term... I never said every car, or your car for that matter, has been clocked. However, compared to the Mustang or BMW forums I muddle through, I hear "lots" more talk about broken Porsche speedos, so I think it's fair to weight a purchasing decision more heavily on condition and records than the arbitrary numbers showing on the odometer. Who knows, in some cars like yours they may be accurate.

But to think every 911 has an accurate odometer... that seems more like BS to me.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
911sccab
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Caveat emptor.

I suppose I stand corrected on the broken odometer issue then, we can assume the vast majority are fine. Anybody that wants to learn more about broken odometers might simply search "broken odometer" in this 911 forum and read through any of the 36 threads there.

I'm just trying to help. So sorry I triggered your BS reflex.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Caveat emptor.

I suppose I stand corrected on the broken odometer issue then, we can assume the vast majority are fine. Anybody that wants to learn more about broken odometers might simply search "broken odometer" in this 911 forum and read through any of the 36 threads there.

I'm just trying to help. So sorry I triggered your BS reflex.
36 threads in however many years of archives is not a rampant issue. It is this type of statement that spreads misinformation, IMO. Search WUR or DME relay and then you hit critical mass.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
36 threads in however many years of archives is not a rampant issue. It is this type of statement that spreads misinformation, IMO. Search WUR or DME relay and then you hit critical mass.
or "valve guides" or "G-50 vs. 915"
To the OP, I would not consider it a deal killer. A good PPI can tell if a car has clocked significantly more miles than it's showing. If the mileage hasn't hit the DMV reports, then that is a good thing. I think keeping a clean title is important However, I would suggest getting one of the odometers off to North Hollywood Speedometer and have it's mileage corrected to best estimate and to jive with documents. I know at the dealership level, when a speedo is changed, Porsche will supply a new one with corrected mileage. This is a normal practice in my exposure, maybe other dealers handle it differently, but I doubt it.

Quick Reply: Purchase a car with broken odometer?